SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of May 2017 Support Thread Part Two (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/409919-class-may-2017-support-thread-part-two.html)

Dee74 05-20-2017 02:27 AM

Class of May 2017 Support Thread Part Two

part one is here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-one-20.html

D

Dee74 05-20-2017 02:29 AM

Congrats on your milestones LadyEDla and Odinsnow :)

D

Sunflowerlife 05-20-2017 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6465067)

D

:c011: Congrats guys!
And thanks for the new thread Dee!

Sunflowerlife 05-20-2017 03:10 AM

Happy Weekend everyone. I know this can be a challenging time for a lot of us so please don't forget that you can write a post here in SR to get help if you have the urge to drink!

I am feeling pretty good today despite the fact that my husband is still stonewalling me. It's sad when he ignores me for days at a time but I refuse to play that game or let it bother me.

I discovered a really great technique to bring you out of "fight or flight" mode or just calm down the body in general. I tend to get in the mode a lot with the kids and taught my 5 year old the tool last night. Going to show my husband this morning.

Ok, I just looked through YouTube and for some reason it's not saved in my history and I can't find it! However, you can search for her there and she has TONS of quick relief exercises for anything from anger to stress. Go to YouTube and type in "Beth Tuttle." I am going to start following her and learning from her cause God knows I need some emotional help.

I did a 5 minute mediataion yesterday (thank you FixitDad for the inspiration.) According to the person who taught me I am supposed to feel a click or something when I have aligned with source but I did not. I probably need to keep trying. It felt good though to just sit in silence and I'd like to make this a daily habit (he recommended 3-4 short sessions a day of just 5 minutes- no excuses!)

Plans for today: theres a neighborhood yard sale this morning which will be nice so we can meet some new neighbors and see if they have any of the furniture we are in need of. Then we are going to my parents house for lunch, then nap time for our toddler which means gym time for me. Then I have to figure out what to do with the boys this evening.

A neighbor came by and introduced herself yesterday and brought us muffins- she has two little boys as well. We hit it off immediately and exchanged numbers. I am looking forward to getting to know her- up until now it's been challenging making friends as we move around so much. It's nice to know we are planting our roots and staying here at least for the next 10 years and hopefully longer than that!

Well I've totally rambled.
I hope to hear from all of you this weekend. We are here to help each other!!

Nyah30 05-20-2017 04:06 AM

Hi everyone
I'm afraid I'm back on day 1, I can't believe it. I had to do a food shop yesterday afternoon and I was in such a bad mood and my 4 year old son kept wanting to get in and out the trolley, driving me mad (he's deaf and has other learning problems so he doesn't always understand when I tell him not to do something). I'm going to look on YouTube at the exercises you suggested sunflowerlife😀. My other excuse was that it was Friday (pathetic). The worst part is that when I got home I thought why have I bought this wine?! I didnt even really want it but drank it anyway because I'd bought it. Annoyed as id got through much stronger cravings earlier in the week. I'm going to write a recovery plan this afternoon. Hope everyone's ok.

Dee74 05-20-2017 04:09 AM

A recovery plan is a must nyah - you can do this :)

D

TheClaw 05-20-2017 04:45 AM

I'm happy to be with this thread for Part II. Even if it only means I'm stuck around long enough.

Sunflower, glad you had a chance to try and meditate. It's easy to let the day go by without until you realize you hadn't. Yesterday it was on my way home. Even better because that's when I usually stopped for my first round of 99c cheap schnapps. Better listen to my Calm than drink.

It's saturday and I have a full work day ahead of me but I'm really glad to start with a clear head. Still have some lingering headaches but that will go away until happy hour. Hopefully I'll be in the gym by then.

I've read a couple of articles and seen the same stuff here about pressure and stress. Stress really being your reaction to pressure and its' all about how you approach and keep a solid attitude toward the pressures in life. Triggers that same way. Triggers won't go away, it's just how we deal with it is the important part.

Hope everyone has a great day.

jk

Sober81 05-20-2017 07:33 AM

W00t! Day 4 in the bag! At a weekend away with the inlaws so I was unable to steer clear of socializing. But I did great, spent the arvo/night with about 7 people who where all drinking and I was fine not to drink. Kilos are falling off two. Bring on day 5 I say, can't wait to wake up fresh tomorrow.
So glad to be anxiety free! Stay strong people, night.

wildflower70 05-20-2017 07:41 AM

Hello everyone!

Day 20 for me today, and I am working hard at calming the AV down. Some days are easier than others, sometimes the AV sleeps all day!! :) I don't want to drink, and I'm not going to drink.

Sorry AV, you will get nothing, and you will like it! HA

(This is my little pep talk for myself, and others)

Cheers to another sober day!:thanks

healthme 05-20-2017 08:34 AM

Congrats!!! Let us know what is helping you.Yesterday,
I went out with a friend I have been avoiding since I know she drinks a lot. I did share two pints with her and her friend.
She had drunk wine before we went out.
Watching her made me feel guilty and powerless,
since after talking about sobering up,
being here was my goal, I couldn't make her realize she has a drinking problem as well. I guess she does, she just doesn't think she wants to stop.I knew she was drinking too much but I couldn't stop her, just left. Today she sent me pics of a "little encounter with a tree" which apparently was on her way back home-
scratches on her hand and face. I've been avoiding her for the last month. Right now, I can't handle her because I'm in my own journey facing my monsters. Yesterday was my first-day using naltrexone (1/2 cp)-it didn't stop me from drinking, and I don't really think I stopped because of its effects. It was just my mind somehow saying enough is enough. I guess watching her was the "enough is enough".
Today somehow an urge came in the morning,
took bupropion ( also first day) and run to write here.
Thank you LadyEDla and Odisnsnow-
you've got my mind back on track! It's a beautiful day outside-not giving up for this little devil.
I was wondering if the chat meeting is going on. I would love to use that.

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6465067)

D

healthme 05-20-2017 08:44 AM

I'm feeling more comfortable talking about sobering up although it feels like there is still something stuck in my throat . thank you, the urge went away. Thank you for helping me get through today!!I do love being sober!

healthme 05-20-2017 09:31 AM

Very nice chat with zerothehero! heading to the beach to meditate. Craving is gone!!Thank you, thank you for the support!!

DeepBlue 05-20-2017 10:59 AM

Hi everyone - have got to the evening of Day 4 and things had improved quite a lot physically, although maybe cravings have increased slightly - probably because I am feeling better and starting to forget how bad I felt (already!)

Thanks to Sunflowerlife for the Beth Tuttle reference. I looked her up and there are a number of short videos and tips to go through. I love You Tube for this sort of thing so will watch some of her stuff later when I go to bed. Last night I tried various guided meditation exercises that I also found on You Tube - I think they helped

Deep Blue

Sunflowerlife 05-20-2017 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by wildflower70 (Post 6465322)
Hello everyone!

Day 20 for me today, and I am working hard at calming the AV down. Some days are easier than others, sometimes the AV sleeps all day!! :) I don't want to drink, and I'm not going to drink.

Sorry AV, you will get nothing, and you will like it! HA

(This is my little pep talk for myself, and others)

Cheers to another sober day!:thanks

Love your pep talk and enthusiasm!! Woot woot! Keep it up May friend :)

Sunflowerlife 05-20-2017 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Nyah30 (Post 6465113)
Hi everyone
I'm afraid I'm back on day 1, I can't believe it. I had to do a food shop yesterday afternoon and I was in such a bad mood and my 4 year old son kept wanting to get in and out the trolley, driving me mad (he's deaf and has other learning problems so he doesn't always understand when I tell him not to do something). I'm going to look on YouTube at the exercises you suggested sunflowerlife😀. My other excuse was that it was Friday (pathetic). The worst part is that when I got home I thought why have I bought this wine?! I didnt even really want it but drank it anyway because I'd bought it. Annoyed as id got through much stronger cravings earlier in the week. I'm going to write a recovery plan this afternoon. Hope everyone's ok.

I'm sorry you drank but glad you came right back here. Did you write out your recovery plan?

Sunflowerlife 05-20-2017 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by DeepBlue (Post 6465564)
Hi everyone - have got to the evening of Day 4 and things had improved quite a lot physically, although maybe cravings have increased slightly - probably because I am feeling better and starting to forget how bad I felt (already!)

Thanks to Sunflowerlife for the Beth Tuttle reference. I looked her up and there are a number of short videos and tips to go through. I love You Tube for this sort of thing so will watch some of her stuff later when I go to bed. Last night I tried various guided meditation exercises that I also found on You Tube - I think they helped

Deep Blue

You are welcome :) glad you are doing well too!

Sunflowerlife 05-20-2017 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by healthme (Post 6465475)
Very nice chat with zerothehero! heading to the beach to meditate. Craving is gone!!Thank you, thank you for the support!!

What a blessing- this fills my heart with so much happiness...

Trees39 05-20-2017 01:32 PM

Meeting a friend today. Bringing my dog. I won't drink when I have my dog with me.
I don't know why that is but I always feel bad for drinking in fron of the kids and pets.

emme99 05-20-2017 09:33 PM

Hi everyone, it's the end of day 4. Today is the first day where trying to not drink is not consuming my every thought. I didn't do much today, and I took a couple of naps, so the lack of stress might be why. Whatever it is, I will take it.

I want to look into meditating as well. I've tried it before but never stuck with it. It's hard to clear my mind enough sometimes but I just need to practice I think.

I hope everyone is doing well :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone :)

Sascha25 05-21-2017 01:08 AM

Hi everyone. Well I haven't been on here in a couple years but I was still trying to get sober the whole time. I managed 89 days last summer on my own, by far my longest except when I was pregnant. Unfortunately things again began to go very down hill since about December last year. But I decided to take the summer semester off of school and focus completely on getting sober and healthy for once and for all. I've been doing an outpatient daytime rehab program the last couple weeks and I'm currently at 20 days sober! This has to be my final sober date because if not I know I'll have to go to inpatient treatment and I honestly don't want to be away from my son, I know it would be for a good purpose but he is only 3 and I can't imagine not being there every morning for him. Treatment is going great only negative is everyone smokes on breaks and even though I hadn't smoked in over 4 years I just started smoking again this week. I know it's not drinking but it's still using another unhealthy coping mechanism ugh when I just want to be completely healthy and learn how to manage daily life and stress without bad habits. But I'm very hopeful and feel I'm learning a lot of tools to stay on the sobriety path for good this time. In one class they mentioned how the average addict relapses over 7 times before stsying clean and while I think I've relapsed many more times than that it makes me feel like I'm not a lost cause. One woman went to inpatient treatment 14 times before staying sober and now she runs an addiction centre. Anyways hope everyone has a great day and stay sober! Thanks for listening.