Notices

Class of January 2017 Support Thread Part 5

Old 05-02-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Day 99

Good morning everyone

DLB..I totally understand what you mean…we need to start setting some short term, measurable goals in order to feel the same sense of accomplishment as we did in the first few months and be able to move on in our new sober lives.

I myself came down with a wicked cold which is just friggin' fantastic as I am frantically trying to tie up loose ends and get ready for this trip on Friday.

Day 100 for me tomorrow! YAY!

Site…Great to see you back…hope things are absolutely excellent in your world!!

Have a good one guys!!
J9
Old 05-02-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Day 120 here!

Good to hear from you Site! Glad everything is going well.
DLB, I think I totally get that. It was kind of new and exciting when we first started and the sobriety was new, and all the discoveries we were making. I think trying to make new discoveries and achieve new things is a great idea in helping to keep things fresh.

So far we have had 6 performances, and it's going well. Press already came, tonight is opening, which should be a nice friendly audience. Reception after with free wine and beer, which is a bit scary, but I think I should be OK. My husband will be there, and he is so happy and supportive of my sobriety, so that will make it much easier.

That's it for now. Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, creative, sober day.
NACN
Old 05-02-2017, 03:07 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Congrats on 122 DLB. That's my next target because it's a third of a year!

Old 05-03-2017, 02:57 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Day 123.
Thank you all for understanding. Yes, I am trying to feel regular accomplishments again to help my low mood swings. Just being sober, although great, isn't enough. I guess it can be financial goals, or health as well, later. I was just starting with creative goals.

So glad the early performances went well, NACN, and excited for the official opening. It must be fun experiencing this with all your senses fully on. Knowing you have your lines more-or-less memorized. Excited for you.

J9. Hope the cold doesn't get worse. I had a near-miss cold last weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed it just stays a sniffle before your big trip. It is awesome you are about to hit your century.
If you do decide to tell your friend you are taking a break from booze, I am sure she will be shocked to hear how long you have been and how much you have achieved.

Thanks MrM. I had no idea it is a third of a year already !

Great to hear from you Site. We miss seeing your posts. Glad you are doing well and thanks for quickly jumping back on.

I was up late but doing OK. Off for my exercise and sticking to this plan of learning new software. Also taking my diet more seriously . I figured I would start with those two for my next challenges to see improvements.

Have a healthy, happy and sober day classmates.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  

DLB, wish it was just the sniffles...but unfortunately feel really cruddy which is dampening my milestone celebratory plans (lol). My friend does know how long I have been booze-free. She is just in the mindset that I can control it and drink in moderation. I am not sooo sure though. I too am going to start really focusing on my diet and exercise as I can see that "just not drinking" isn't enough.

NACN..I am thrilled that your play has been a success thus far and echo DLB's sentiments!!

Have a great day folks!!

J9
Old 05-03-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  

YIKES...Forgot to mention...DAY 100....Who Knew??!!!
Old 05-03-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Many congrats on 100 J9. Top work!
Old 05-03-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Day 123,
Just a quick check in Congrats on 100 J9!!! And everyone else who's hit milestones lately!

I've been good and busy here lately.

DLB, I completely get what you mean about setting short term goals. In the beginning it’s all very exciting because we start to notice improvements and changes, but eventually things start to level off. I’ve been working towards a big assignment that’s almost done and I’m feeling the same way. I think I also need to start setting small little goals for myself. Complacency for me could get dangerous.

Also getting ready to pack for friday. Still happily excited about my sober vacation. Not going to lie, flying is usually a HUGE trigger for me. Growing up I flew all the time, but some time in my twenties I started to fear it….often using alcohol as liquid courage….but not this time. I’m putting together a travel pack of books and writing exercises that should keep me busy on the short flight

Site - So great to hear from you and that you’re doing well!!

NACN - I’m sure the opening was a smashing success!!!!

Have a great day everyone
Old 05-03-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to see you site

congrats to everyone hitting a milestone today - way to go J9, Ina, DLB...

D
Old 05-04-2017, 12:41 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  
01/28/2017

day 95 here. not sure when, but i think my last update was 2 days off, 95 is now correct. that said, if it werent for my clean time app i dont think i could be bothered counting days anymore. i took my 90 day fob the other day, felt good.....next one is 6 months and it seems not only possible, but probable.

i am really sinking in to recovery well these days. i really did not expect any of this when i cleaned up this time. i was very unhappy, very sick, very desperate and had no expectations. i went to detox with very little hope. if you had described my life as it is now to the "me" of 95 days ago i would have laughed at you.

thing is, everything isn't technically "good", but even the bad stuff seems so much better than the best days drinking. i have a growing social circle, some of which now consider friends. i get out often and i am far more active. i find myself very busy lately. be it work, social life or personal life it seems every day is pretty much non-stop. i am tired and i am sure at some point i will find some kind of equilibrium, but as it is i am actually pretty grateful for all the activity in my life right now. compared to my rather monotonous drinking days it is hard to imagine how much has changed. i think a big part of it is realizing how capable i am today.

one thing that has come up though is a potential relationship. to be clear i had no intention of seeking a relationship or even dating going in to this sobriety. we met a couple months ago and have about the same clean time. until last week we have kept everything to a friendship level. i have had previous clean time and so has she, we have both been around the rooms of NA(and AA) long enough to know all the advice on relationships early in recovery(basically, dont do it). i certainly understand the reasoning and by no means think we are unique.

we confronted things last week and we both feel the same way, both of us have never felt this way about another before. i have certainly never felt a connection like this before, clean or not. at this point we are both very happy to have confirmed our feelings for each other but starting an actual relationship is on hold. at least for a little while. we both want our sobriety to be first.

i dunno, it is all very confusing. like i said, i absolutely did not expect this at all. i was not seeking it. but it happened and i cant deny what feel. i know i have to be very careful going forward. deep down i think this has the potential of being something pretty amazing, so i really dont want it to slip away either(neither does she).
Old 05-04-2017, 02:09 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Day 124.
On my phone again because of internet issues. Urggh. So just a short one as I am basically texting.
Good luck ina and J9 on the trips. Hopefully you both are able to check in. Np if you can not.

Well done J9 on the century !!!

JV, so glad you are doing well. To me, it sounds great that you have met someone you really like. I am pretty ignorant about forming relationships with people in recovery but , in your case, it seems really nice. I am very happy for you both. Like I say, I don't know the possible risks.

Well, I have taken just enough typing with 2 thumbs as I can for the morning.

My new short-term goals plan was decent yesterday. Extra exercise, no snacks and tutorials! Same again today.

Have a healthy, happy and awesome day Januarians. One more day !!!
Old 05-05-2017, 03:38 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Day 125
It looks like a very quiet day on our class thread. I am happily posting regardless

Yesterday I had a number of things happen, at work as usual, that would have affected my mood in the previous weeks . Having a short-term goal within reach, to focus on and work towards, really helped me focus on what was important.

There is no doubt my flat mood of so now what ? is party caused by my being sober and not feeling as much day-to-day accomplishment for that any more. Spending this sober time working towards my next short term goal (learning a particular software in this case) is helping.

I woke up late today, happy to be back with a proper keyboard, enjoying my coffee. This morning was spent reading some of the other newcomers threads. It is a nice reminder where we all were in the first months.

I hope my Januarians are doing well. Have a happy, healthy and sober end of week all.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Day 125,
Just doing some last minute packing before heading to the airport in a couple of hours. Pouring rain here so I won't be sad to leave that. I still have a little work to do towards my assignment that's due soon... I'll have to do some while away....part of me wonders if I did that on purpose as another defense to keep myself busy at night and less tempted. Nah....I'm just a procrastinator. I'd like to think I was that smart hehe

What kind of software DLB? I was actually thinking in the future I want to learn something new myself....maybe a language....or learn how to code....which is hilarious coming from this gal who can barely operate excel...but it's something different.

Anyways, shall touch base from sunny Florida!!!
Thinking of you all! Hope you have a great day
Old 05-06-2017, 04:02 AM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Day 126
Have a safe and happy trip to Florida Ina. Yeah, maybe a bit of reserve homework to excuse yourself to, if you need an emergency excuse, isn't a bad idea. Either way, have loads of fun away from the rain. You have earned a great vacation in the sun. I look forward to doing the same this year. We have come through a lot in 2017 !

I woke up early as I have to work today and now plan on going back to bed with a podcast. It has been a hard working week and a few extra hours sleep are in order.

Have a happy and sober Saturday all. One more day.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Just to let you know I am still here and still sober. Not much to report as things have happily settled into a groove. I have been feeling a little like this is a "rut" though, and I too am looking forwards to some more progress.

Anyways, I have a traditional New England wedding celebration today --- a walk in the woods! Should be great, if a little wet.

Happy weekend!
Old 05-06-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Hello Januarians!

Day 124.

Nice lazy day...slept in, then went to the gym. Then husband and I went to a favorite brunch restaurant, had a nice huge meal! Now just relaxing on the couch getting some work done. Show tonight, two tomorrow.

Things have been just plugging along. There have been a few times that I've felt like I really wanted a drink, but for the most part I think I have fallen into this new habit.

Not much to say today, just wanted to check in! Have a great sober weekend!

NACN
Old 05-07-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Day 127
Hi NACN , MrM and my Januarian classmates.
Same for me really. Not much to report. Just a quick checkin. Made a tea and going back to bed. Lazy Sunday mornings !
Have a great day.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Day 128
Hi classmates. A fairly typical Monday morning. Up late as I didn't sleep well but OK. Trying to find the right positive mindset to begin my week with. The coffee will help.
Short one from me today but I am doing well. or will do, when I wake up.
Have a happy, sober and healthy week all.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Day 126.

A little tired today with a full weekend of shows, so most likely will head back to bed now kids are off to school! With my cup of tea, just like you DLB!

It seems like it has been pretty slow here recently. I hope everyone is doing well. I know a few were headed off to vacation, hope they are having a great relaxing time!

I need to get back into the exercise habit, it's been falling off since performances started. Today should be a good day, I'm hoping to get out for a run later.

Hope everyone has a happy, healthy, sober day!
NACN
Old 05-08-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Day 128,
Made it safely to Florida Enjoying lying on the beach and eating everything in sight! Calories don't count on vacation, right?!? I've been getting lots of sun and relaxing! Honestly, I don't know how I sat in the sun hungover every day last time I did this trip!! It feels so good to not be wasting my days away and I'm spending quality time with my niece. Anyways, just a quick check in