Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-24-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. I'm a newbie and look forward to being active on SR. I'm on Day 5. I have quit so many times in the past and have ultimately restarted drinking heavily each time. I quit for 5 months in 2014 and several months in 2015. In 2016, I managed to go a few weeks at a time without drinking, but the AV would come calling with a vengeance. I would restart the cycle of drinking most days of the week each time. I always managed to go work and be a "functional alcoholic ". But I was not really functioning. I was going through the motions at work hoping no one noticed I was hungover and plotting my next drink that evening. I was always consumed with thoughts if I had enough alcohol at home and trying to hide it from my wife and son. It was consuming all of my mental energy. Such a waste.

Something different happened to me this week. Nothing major...no severe hangover, no accidents, no major mess up at work, no legal or financial issues, no major fight with my wife or family, but I just felt like a light went on in my head. I was not enjoying drinking anymore. I really haven't in years but I always liked the ritual and the buzz of drinking and this was not enjoyable anymore. I was getting so tired of all the mental and physical energy it used up in my life to keep drinking. I woke up last Sunday and felt I was done. I had enough....I emptied a bottle of vodka and pack of beer down the drain. This is not the first time I have done this, but somehow I was ok with it this time. I usually have a sense of regret when I quit, but this time I have a sense of acceptance and hope. I don't want to waste one more day with the foggy haze of alcohol. I want start living. Thanks for listening and your support.

Gabriel
Old 02-24-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Welcome Gabriel

Thanks for sharing your story, lots in there I can resonate with. I too was 'functioning' in a senior job but consumed by thoughts on the next drink.

Well done for having the strength and clarity to make this decision. You should be immensely proud ��

Just think of how energy you will have now!

Tough day here today, working from home on a Friday means lots of time inside my own head. Half marathon on Sunday though so big run ahead today to work off the temptation.

Hope everyone is happy and healthy today.

George
Old 02-24-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daucuscarota View Post
Today is day # 20.
Although I have been feeling peaceful, in general, since I quit drinking wine,
I had a panic attack yesterday---- my blood pressure was sky high.

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else?

I ended up going to my doctor, and she gave me a prescription for an antidepressant. I have never taken medication before, and after reading about all of the side effects, don't want to start.
I slept deeply and I do feel better this morning.

I am aware that I have always been a "worrier", and it has gotten worse over the years, due to multiple traumas. I realize that I have been self-medicating for this, for a significant part of my life, with wine, but during the past year, the wine was also increasing the anxiety.

Will this anxiety get better?
Hi Daucuscarota. I struggle with high blood pressure. Alcohol definitely exasperates it and my anxiety level. Several years ago after drinking, my anxiety level was severe after a night of drinking. In the morning, I was feeling tingly in my head and knew something was not right. I had my wife drive me to the emergency room. My blood pressure was severely elevated and I got treated with BP medications. I felt better and anxiety improved. For me, my blood pressure and anxiety improve with abstinence from alcohol. Exercise also really helps. I am not sure of your situation, but hopefully with time without alcohol, your anxiety will improve. If your BP remains elevated, see your general physician for treatment. Sometimes severely elevated BP can cause anxiety. If you continue to panic attacks after your BP is treated, a councilor and medication may help. Try not drink again because this will only make it worse.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Welcome Gabriel! This is a great group. Looking forward to getting to know you.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 285 (permalink)  

D- my experience with the A-D I am now on is it takes time to take effect. For me- 2 months. The anxiety lessened as well. Made them both manageable.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Good one Gab.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Happy Friday (I think every time zone is there now, and some Sat?)

Blue - The chores will always be there, but glad you being kind to yourself and taking it easy. And no wine hangovers.

Trees - Keep it going! What's the story with the Olives? Is that what your cravings are? I am not a big peanut butter fan, But have gone through a whole jar in 2 days. Not sure what thats about....

Ready - The weather was fantastic here this week, not sure where you are from, but it sounds like you had a nice time with your little one. And thanks a lot, now I am at work thinking about what I am going to have for dinner already at 9 am. LOL

Purple - 2 ft beers? Strange one...But I guess the good thing is that you are sleeping deep enough to dream. However weird they may be.

Dau - I have taken Anti-D's in the past, as PJ said, they sometimes take a few weeks to build in your system to see the benefit should you decide you want to take them.

Star - I will not be leaving you this class. I have an affinity for Koala, as she(I think) checks in on us from time to time even being from a different Class. I can not be bought.

Catlover - How are things going? I know you were having a crave day yesterday. I hope you were able to push through and not have a drink.

I still haven't had a good nights sleep yet. Hopefully with the weekend coming, and not having a whole lot to do, will allow me to relax and find some zzz's. Long post this morning... Great work everyone!!!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:01 AM
  # 288 (permalink)  

I have the whole day off and it absolutely gorgeous outside. Spring! If we get a hard freeze, a lot of flowers are going to die.
I'm doing a quick clean up and then going to get a couple of new tires, a headlight and a rear blinker. I hate car repairs, that's why my car is such a mess right now. But, it's about to get better.
Also meeting with a friend.
I'm sorry to see so many others having the 'tired' problem. It's no fun. But, it helped a lot to read that it's just a normal part of getting sober and will get better. Something to really look forward to.
I'm going to shop for vitamins, too. I take a b-12, but I think I need more than that. There's a site on the internet, can't remember what but I'm going to look it up, that talks about nutrition and vitamins for early recovery. I'll read that again before I head out.
Welcome to Gabriel!
Happy sober day everyone.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 AM
  # 289 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Had my first AA meeting last night. I was shaking like a leaf, I observed and just listened. I already have my second meeting planned tonight!
Old 02-24-2017, 09:58 AM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Catlover - where are ya? Doing good?

Gabriel - I can so relate to your post. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

Badger - sleep . . .precious, precious sleep!! I'm sleeping good some nights. I use to be able to function on days when I hadn't slept well the night before. But no longer, I guess. If I don't sleep well, I'm a wreck the next day. Luckily I slept like a baby last night.

Sober - vitamins!! yeah, I need to look into that too.

Sinking - I haven't been to an AA meeting myself. Let us know how the next one goes, k?

For me . . .well . . . everyday is a new adventure. The other day (Wednesday) I went dress shopping with a friend. There were a lot of cute boutiques, but my friend seemed to only want to go in the ones that served a glass of champagne while you shopped. Whatever . . . it didn't bother me. But boy did it seem to bother her that I wasn't partaking (and because I wasn't she wasn't either). And she just didn't seem all that interesting in actually trying on or buying anything (we were shopping for an event she needs a dress for - I already have mine).

After awhile, she thought we should just go to a bistro for a glass of wine instead of shopping. I told her that I didn't want any, but wouldn't mind getting a soda or something. We finally ended up going to a tea room and having tea.

Last night she called me to express her concern over my not drinking. It was weird. She was couching it in concern . . .. "why aren't you drinking? Is there something going on with your health?", etc . . . But her concern just didn't feel sincere.

I'm definitely in a social circle of drinkers. This friend never seemed like she had a problem with her drinking. She's pretty quick to switch to tea after a few glasses of wine.

It does make me think she may measure her drinking against mine or something. I don't know. It's not my place to guess what's going on with her. I'm not sharing with anyone yet about my intention to never drink again. But I did tell her that I was suspect of her "concern" . .. and I told her that she can't have an intervention for someone because she felt they weren't drinking enough. That's not how interventions work - lol
Old 02-24-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 292 (permalink)  

I love your response to her, Milly. Funny and true!
My tidying up took a lot longer than I suspected. Haven't done the car stuff and it's only an hour until I meet my friend. She's sober and in recovery, so that's nice. Just checking in while taking a break. I hope everyone is doing okay today. Will be glad to hear from Catlover. And everyone else, too!
Sinking, I am going to AA, too. I think it helps me a lot. I've been reading about Rational Recovery, too. I use the 'talk back to the AV' part of it a lot.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Millie - Sounds to me like she is definitely comparing her drinking against yours...and is questioning her own use? who knows? But thank you for the laugh about the "intervention" part. LOL!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 294 (permalink)  
HFA

Heading into a long weekend. Ill be alone Sat am for several hours at my second job. Thats when I normally have a few. I know, drinking at work makes a TON of sense, right!?!
So just gotta make it thru friday, Sat and Sunday......
Old 02-24-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 295 (permalink)  

Purplecat.....drinking dreams, yes, seem to part of early sober. Last night I was hosting some kind of drunken dinner, everyone just falling apart, spilling wine everywhere. Best bit is waking from it.....

I've always tried to keep away from the meds Daucuscarota...I feel the Dr's hand them out so easily and they're apparently hard to get off. Alcohol's hard enough to quit....why take on another potential problem. Just my take on it, other's mileage may vary.

And you are so right re the wine and anxiety.

Hi Gabriel, welcome. Good choice.....it reads like you have everything going for you right now.

That's an interesting form of 'intervention' milly.....lol.

OK...let's hope catlover is hanging in there...

Saturday morning here....stuff to do, but coffee first. Okay....all the best all

Later.....
Old 02-24-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 296 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Gabriel I'm on Day 5 too. Again I thought I was functional, but in reality that was just a lie, it just seems an acceptable illness of the middle classes.

I'm an artist so 2-3 bottles of red wine an evening just seemed to go hand in hand.

I didn't have an epiphany of any sorts either I was just bored, the only downside I face is Food...we are huge restaurant diners and eat a very healthy diet of fresh foods and if you've got a gorgeous fresh Sea Bass it's so hard not to open a nice bottle of wine! On thursday I even experimented chilling a pot of Green Tea and adding a couple of squeezes of Lemon...it kind of worked!

Anyway, I'm sitting with a cup of Liquorice tea killing time before I can go to bed!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:41 PM
  # 297 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
There's a site on the internet, can't remember what but I'm going to look it up, that talks about nutrition and vitamins for early recovery. I'll read that again before I head out.
Welcome to Gabriel!
Happy sober day everyone.
Look for Patrick Holford he's a very good nutritionist we have several of his books regarding nutrition and vitamins...(and several others on detoxing and addiction too, lol)
Old 02-24-2017, 01:06 PM
  # 298 (permalink)  

Welcome Sun!!!

Ohhhh Catlover......Where are you???
Old 02-24-2017, 01:19 PM
  # 299 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HFA View Post
Heading into a long weekend. Ill be alone Sat am for several hours at my second job. Thats when I normally have a few. I know, drinking at work makes a TON of sense, right!?!
So just gotta make it thru friday, Sat and Sunday......
Drinking at work, does not make sense, but this was the first week in quite a while that I haven't done it, sad to say. But, I got through it, and have complete faith that you will as well!!!
Old 02-24-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 300 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Gabriel and sunitfin & congrats to everyone hitting a milestone today, no matter what it is

D