Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Hi badger hope your ok / I'm on day 11 and a few days ago I did get anxiety and an awful sadness/ glad you felt better as the day went on .
So proud of you it's horrible to go through anxiety
Treat yourself to some candy
Old 02-22-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Still under the weather but able to eat a bit... no appetite but I'm keeping it down so I at least get some nutrition. Drinking loads of water, resting and reading in bed. Now I'm feeling really guilty and anxious as there are so many things I need to take care of... they'll have to wait until I'm feeling better.

I hope all of you are enjoying a lovely, sober day! xxo
Old 02-22-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

I haven't had a chance to catch up on this thread since one of my plans was to keep as busy as possible and change my routine. I think this was one reason I failed in the past: I never had a day-to-day plan. Day 6 is today and so far so good other than what everyone else is going through (night sweats, restless sleep, nightmares, etc.)

I used to be a HEAVY, nightly drinker when everyone went to sleep.
This week my escape at night has been watching old episodes of the TV show "24." I'm afraid the show is more addictive than alcohol...What will I do when I'm done with all the seasons? Yikes!
Old 02-22-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Hope all the poorly classmates are feeling better.

I am on Day 8. I am really tired, as sleep is a casualty; but otherwise I think I'm doing ok.

I've bought lots of nice soft drinks, so that I can ring the changes at home in the evenings. I've continued to eat out, and went to the pub on Monday; but in all cases, I have stuck firmly to water or lime and soda, and this is working for me so far. As I said on another thread, if it becomes (or even threatens to become) difficult, I will stop, and come straight home after work.; but I'm worried that if I do this now I will feel like I'm missing out and give up. This way, I can join in, but stay sober at the same time.

I am working at home tomorrow and Friday, and am going to the cinema (as opposed to eating out) with a friend on Sunday, so there will be no temptation there.

I can't believe it will be Day 9 tomorrow - I have really surprised myself by doing this. Thank you all for your support - it has really helped.

ETA - Congratulations on Day 6, Frank. We cross posted .
Old 02-22-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  

This is my 25th sober day. Yesterday I had an epileptic seizure in the afternoon so I didn't do much afterwards other than lie around. I worked today and then came home and continued lying around where I'd left off yesterday.
I've always been told that having epilepsy means that I shouldn't drink, but fits seem to come along whether I'm sober or drinking.
I've been pretty bored today. It did occur to me to drink, and I actually let myself think about it. In the end I just decided that I didn't want to. I realised that it wouldn't give me what I think I want. Usually no reasons will dismiss the urge to drink. Life might be crap but drink really isn't the means to improve it. I see that - progress maybe?
The thing is that stopping drinking leaves a massive gap which can only be filled with having a life, and it's hard to construct one of those from scratch. I'd talk it over with a friend but I don't really have one. That's first on my to do list.
Best wishes everyone.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:13 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Kcey - thank you! yes, the anxiety is much better. It really was odd...

Star - I hope you feel better soon. Congrats on keeping food down? and yes, all of those things that need to be done will also be there tomorrow. and you can worry about them then.

Frank - I have never watched 24, but I think I will add that to my "binge" watch list. As soon as I get through the list I have already.

Sue - Good work on day 8. Almost to double digits!!!! And let us know what movie you saw and how it was?

Taplow - 25 days is fantastic. I can completely relate to your story, most of my "friends" are/were just drinking buddies, so they are out of the picture. I have a great family that I rely on, but the close friends thing is something I completely understand.

Going to my first SMART recovery meeting tonight, so we shall see how that goes. I am looking forward to it, since AA was never my thing.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frank14 View Post
I haven't had a chance to catch up on this thread since one of my plans was to keep as busy as possible and change my routine. I think this was one reason I failed in the past: I never had a day-to-day plan. Day 6 is today and so far so good other than what everyone else is going through (night sweats, restless sleep, nightmares, etc.)

I used to be a HEAVY, nightly drinker when everyone went to sleep.
This week my escape at night has been watching old episodes of the TV show "24." I'm afraid the show is more addictive than alcohol...What will I do when I'm done with all the seasons? Yikes!
I have a love/hate relationship with watching seasons of great shows...love watching them but hate when they're over - and they're definitely addictive!

Glad you've found a way to pass the time!!
Old 02-22-2017, 05:54 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badger257 View Post
Kcey - thank you! yes, the anxiety is much better. It really was odd...

Star - I hope you feel better soon. Congrats on keeping food down? and yes, all of those things that need to be done will also be there tomorrow. and you can worry about them then.

Frank - I have never watched 24, but I think I will add that to my "binge" watch list. As soon as I get through the list I have already.

Sue - Good work on day 8. Almost to double digits!!!! And let us know what movie you saw and how it was?

Taplow - 25 days is fantastic. I can completely relate to your story, most of my "friends" are/were just drinking buddies, so they are out of the picture. I have a great family that I rely on, but the close friends thing is something I completely understand.

Going to my first SMART recovery meeting tonight, so we shall see how that goes. I am looking forward to it, since AA was never my thing.
I'm trying a SMART meeting next week! Sadly, I missed this week's (not many near me). Hope you enjoyed it - if you don't mind sharing about it, I'd love to hear about it.

Congrats on another 24 hours.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:00 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Today is the end of day 3 for me. Had a long talk with my husband tonight about the fact I'm an alcoholic (I posted in the Newcomers to Recovery forum).

I'm leaving tomorrow for a trip away with hubby and 4 other couples. I'm determined not to drink. Today I did all our shopping and skipped the liquor store. For those not familiar, in NY you cannot buy wine or spirits/liquor in grocery stores or gas stations, only beer, and I don't drink beer. So, my plan to stay sober on vacation is to not have things around that I like to drink.

I'm nervous, but actually kind of excited for the challenge. (I doubt I'll feel the same 24 hours from now). What I'm focused on is that when I come back from our vacation on Sunday, I will be one week sober, and I want to be one week sober.

Hope everyone has a good next 24 hours!
Old 02-22-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope you have a happy safe and sober vacation RuralJuror

D
Old 02-22-2017, 06:39 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

RuralJ, such trips are big triggers. You will need to have a plan in place. What will you do not to drink? Will power alone never worked for me. Post here lots, until your fingers bleed. Think of stuff to do. If asked why you are not drinking- you do not have to reveal all your guilt and shame. Just smile and say I am on a liver diet or something. If they keep going on- just say no thankyou. No guilt or feeling you 'have' to.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:06 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Day 17. I'm tired.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:42 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Day 17 for me and tired too Trees.....

Flew home this afternoon....lugging two ppl's luggage from one end of the terminal to the other. But made it back. Sitting here with a bottle of soda water and some cashews.

Last night was the first I slept through unbroken in months. Same again tonite pls....

Later.....
Old 02-22-2017, 10:44 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope we all get a good nights sleep tonight

D
Old 02-23-2017, 12:19 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Day 19- my experience so far

Hello everyone

Day 19 here for me.

After years of problem drinking, anxiety and excuse making as a high functioning alcoholic I decided to give it in 19 days ago (after a few failed experiments to cut down).

First few days were hell followed by Nirvana.... clarity of thought, a new purpose in life, increased energy and no more blotchy skin, red eyes and constant bloating.

Since about day 11 however things have been pretty tough. I'm constantly tired, anxiety and paranoia are through the roof and I'm sure I'm getting hypoglycaemic symptoms or at least sugar rushes and crashes as my cravings for sugar are pretty intense.

Everything feels pretty raw too. My wife is an incredibly supportive woman and by her admission my drinking never really caused her much pain (I had the luck to stop when I seen the train starting to derail so damage, for now, was minimal). However when I look at her and spend time with my family and friends I'm overcome with guilt, like they are staring into my soul and every drunk episode or blackout reads in my head like a disaster movie, even if they were 15 years ago.

i reckon this is the anxiety I've had for years lifting to the surface and my brain dealing with it, unexposed now the mask of alcohol is gone and left it bare faced.

In short, I'm deliriously happy not to be drinking anymore but another part of my brain is still playing catch up so its a rollercoaster of relief and happiness followed by all the nasty stuff.

Thanks for listening everyone, good to get it out in the open.

For anyone in day 1 or 2. Firstly well done, you've made an amazing decision and secondly, don't let my post put you off stopping or worry you about what happens in later weeks of sobriety. Even with that all going on I'm still exponentially happier than 2 1/2 weeks ago and getting better every day so keep at it 🙂.

GB
Old 02-23-2017, 12:27 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
All is Change

That's good. You've got good attitude towards yourself. The stuff that's now allowed to rise up and manifest itself is best thought as held in miseries that are now given a chance to leave you. Keep aware and keep doing what needs to be done and let nature take its course.. You'll feel better soon when all that baggage is gone.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:46 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome George

I found the support here & being able to talk to folks who understood really helped my anxiety - I hope you find the same

D
Old 02-23-2017, 01:12 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Good post George.....welcome.

I can relate to what you're saying....I've tried being sober previously, but never really looked to address the underlying issues as you obviously are. Anxiety can manifest in many ways.....add alcohol and it can turn into aggression. Which is what I'm having to think a lot about right now....

All the best....will watch for your posts
Old 02-23-2017, 02:14 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badger257 View Post
Thanks for the support, badger. We are going to see La La Land, which wouldn't have been my choice; but I'll give it a go.

Binge watchers - Was the UK drama Spooks shown in the US? If you haven't seen it, and you can get hold of all 10 series (I think it may be on Netflix or Amazon), it is well worth a binge. It's very well made, the acting is great, and the storylines have you on the edge of your seat.

I've just googled, and apparently it was shown in the US under the title MI-5.

Welcome to SR, George.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by Trees39 View Post
Day 17. I'm tired.
I hear ya. I just got 8 hours sleep and feel like I didn't get any. I only woke up once, too. Looking forward to the weekend to I can try to sleep in!

I think I'm at 25 days now.