Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-25-2017, 08:25 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Hi everyone here mirrors how I feel today
Day 14 yay
BB007 I agree with every point you make and Milly everything you say is what I've thought.
Even drink wine and I hate the taste why oh why would you do that
Had all my usual Saturday stuff done by 11 then went for a walk
It was lovely : just going to watch a film before a meal later then going to just chill
Complaisency is what I have to watch you think I've done all this and I have all this spare energy. What now
I had a todo list which I went and done to quickly.
I will have to get a hobby for the weekend
I cooking all the weeks meals tomorrow - so I go the gym after work so I need to think of a few more things to keep me busy
Normally I would be dosing now getting myself rested for another big Saturday night, but do Yano what I'm glad I'm not doing that tonight
Looking forward to feeling good tomorrow morning
Old 02-25-2017, 08:52 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Meow

I really like the taste of (good) wine and (good) beer. (Yes, I was an expensive drinker.) So that's another difficult thing for me because I do miss pairing good wine with good food, for example.

Oh well. I can live without.

Worried about catlover.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm still in bed at almost noon. Dogs got me up to go outside at 8:00 so no sleeping in, but I came right back here after feeding them and the cat. I'm guilty of playing phone games most of this morning, but my battery is almost dead and I'm hungry so I probably should get up. :P
Old 02-25-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Purplecat: I really like the taste of (good) wine and (good) beer. (Yes, I was an expensive drinker.) So that's another difficult thing for me because I do miss pairing good wine with good food, for example.

You know I would have said the same thing six months ago. I no longer believe that. I have expensive, good champagne, wine and beer still around me.

My good friend owns a pretty large and successful micro brewery and he brews these small batches of very high quality beer for personal use on the side. There is a six pack in my garage now.

Last weekend I hosted a private party where I had ordered very good champagne (and expensive too). I have a full case left over.

A friend gave me a fairly expensive bottle of my former favorite wine as a "thank you" gift last week. I regifted it as a hostess gift within days. The hostess was surprised at my generosity and my husband was a bit ticked off about it.

But. . . looking at this stuff now . . . all I can think is POISON. And how I was kidding myself that it was anything more.

I swear, some of us just like our poison a little pricier.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:10 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

I also have good wine and champagne in the house.

I choose not to drink it; but I know I would like the taste if I did. Like Purplecat, I enjoyed choosing a wine to go with good food, and will continue to do so for friends.

Until then, it will stay in the wine rack, and I will choose to drink something else. We are all different, I suppose, and each to her own.

I am also worried about catlover, and hope he posts soon.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Welcome retired guy!!!
Old 02-25-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

SueDenim & PurpleCat - of course, to each their own. I mean no disrespect. I just think how much my personal thoughts about this has changed.

No more than five years ago, I use to work with wine vendors to host "pairing nights" at a local, upscale eatery. I'd mingle with the diners at the bar, choosing who should sit with whom at outdoor, lakeside tables. Then the chef would describe each course, and I would describe the wine. It was all good clean fun. Lots of laughter. Absolutely nothing wrong with that

Still when I think back, there was an awful lot of bullsh*t too. kwim?

The chef was an alcoholic who had to steady his nerves with straight vodka in order to speak in public, and I was "paid" with cases of the wines featured . . . which I would immediately drink. Gwad . . . what was I thinking?!
Old 02-25-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I'm happy to have woken up hangover free this AM. I went to the gym early with my wife and son. I had a good workout. Ordinarily on a regular Saturday in the past, I would work out, but it would be in late in the afternoon. I would try to sweat out some of the poison out of me. I always felt better after a workout, but not as good as being hangover free like today.

On the way home my wife was in a rush to take my son to golf. She is someone that always lives her life looking at the clock planning to arrive early. I on the other hand I usually don't mind showing up a few minutes late. We sure are opposites in that way. We got in a fight because she was mad that we were running late. I know it is not her fault and that is just the way she was raised and it is just her personality. But in my mind I was thinking, why aren't you congratulating me that I have been sober all week...especially Saturday AM. I just don't think non drinkers understand what we are battling against and what a monumental success it is to quit....even for six days. She likes to have a drink here and there, but honesty, she could take it or leave it, so she does not understand. I will have to work on this.

Stopping drinking is a priority in my life and plan not to drink again. However, I realize that life goes on and everything does not revolve around me. Because I stop drinking, it does not mean all my other problems will go away.... Actually, they are probably going to present them in a more clear way and I will have to face them straight on. It is going to be a long process.

Nice list Bluebird...I totally agree with your list. Alcohol is a poison and your body starts to change for the worse with the constant ingestion of it. I feel so much better without in my system.

Have a nice sober day. Hello to everyone.

Day 6
Old 02-25-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Meow

No problem, milly! No disrespect taken at all. Just sharing that that particular distraction wouldn't work for me. We are all a bit different even as we are similar, yes?

Gabriel - how old is your son? Mine plays golf at a NCAA Div III college. Team captain this year (he's a senior). /proud momma moment
Old 02-25-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Morning Announcements

(Did every school across the world have those over the loud speaker, or is it just a US thing? )

We will be having Pizza (always cold) and green beans in the cafeteria today. (What a pairing that was)

There will be a choice of inside or outside recess (due to weather)

Student of the week is------ (pick a name)

And most importantly (never really said, but for this class): Even if you slip and drink, don't drop out of school. Stay here with us. Let us know. We have all been there and are in this together! !!

Thank you and enjoy your day!!
Old 02-25-2017, 11:22 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

We don't have loud speakers in England / someone just goes to the class with a note and a worried expression.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hey Gabriel,

My wife doesn't understand either. She thinks I should be able to control my drinking like everybody else. Thats why I am finding this forum so helpful!

Stay strong!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:15 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I settled earlier and watched my first movie in 14 days and properly relaxed
It's such a good feeling
Old 02-25-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Morning Class,

....the waking up sober, ain't it great?
Ready, Star, Gabriel1 .......the sober wake up is one of the best things. Knowing too that you have the day in front of you to go and do something with. Instead of blearily limping into the morning, looking for a kickstarter that will write off another.

Sleep for me has gotten way better over the last few days, taken nearly three weeks to get it back, never taken so long before. With sleep the skin itching is fading too.

Congratulations on 28 days Taplow......4 weeks

Kcey, you sound so much better....what you gonna do for a hobby?

Welcome retired guy, 16 days solo is no small thing.

Hope catlover will post today. So, if you're out there.....

Expensive booze...ALL booze is expensive. I occasionally add up what I was spending a day / a week. Unreal.

Okay.....Sunday starting, busy day...workshop fun here. Have a good one.

Later....
Old 02-25-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kcey View Post
I settled earlier and watched my first movie in 14 days and properly relaxed
It's such a good feeling
What did you watch? Any good?
Old 02-25-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is having a good Saturday so far.
It's good to know some of you are also having sleeping problems. I feel like I sleep all night...but am waking up really tired still. It seems like my body would have adjusted to not drinking at this point.

Gabriel, while your wife may not fully understand your accomplishment of not drinking for 6 days, everyone on this site does. Good for you for finding a supportive outlet. Good for her that she doesn't get it.
I never realized that the commitment to stop drinking would require anything more than ceasing to pour alcohol down my throat. Turns out it takes a lot more than that, like implementing fundamental changes that incorporates daily habits/rituals, scheduling, overall health and positive lifestyle changes, relationship choices, awareness of inner dialogue, recognition of feelings and triggers, etc. I was feeling a little overwhelmed last week with all this, but then I realized I didn't necessarily need to focus, or work, on all of them at the same time. I could chip away until the changes became the norm.
A couple people mentioned the "complacency trap". It's real. It sucks. It's kind of a rush in the beginning of sobriety because of the challenge, and the new clarity and general feelings of wellness you experience. Once that subsides, is where I now feel the real challenge begins. Trying to make these new decisions muscle memory instead of conscious deliberations. I didn't really mean "It sucks" wholeheartedly. It feels great to be alcohol free. I'm just realizing this is a layered process. Kind of tiring. I'm still getting a kick out of being the sober guy at parties and restaurants though. For some reason, that's no problem. Watching drunk people get up to their ridiculous drunk antics is a whole different story when you're sober. "Is that what I used to look like?! Oh god..."
Old 02-25-2017, 01:46 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I'm here to say "Day 1". Again. I wonder if this viscous cycle will ever end? But I cannot give up on myself. I know there is a sober life waiting for me, I just need to stay sober this time.

ok if I join your group?
Old 02-25-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kgirl41 View Post
ok if I join your group?
Please do, kgirl. Welcome to the class of February 2017. We're good at supporting one another here. Good for you for starting again when things went wrong the last time.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hi Kgirl! Of course you can join! Sorry that you are at day 1 again, but as the old saying goes: when is the best time to plant a tree? 20 years ago. When is the second best? Today. Welcome aboard!
Look forward to getting to know you.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Welcome Kgirl! I'm glad you're here and starting over. It takes what it takes! This is a great time of year to get sober. It's so beautiful outside, and so much to do.
I had a good partial work day, walked the dog, now I'm going to get something to eat and go to another meeting. Will check back later.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hello. Day one for me... I have thought about making tomorrow day one for about half the day so far but I always do that on day one. I'll stick to today. I was trying to eat super healthy and exercise today, but I think I will just go get something yummy to eat and try to do better tomorrow. Feeling kinda blah at the moment.