Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-21-2017, 08:03 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Sinking- that was BRAVE of you to do that! Inspiring actually. And so happy someone reached out.

Rural and D - I like that. ..no is most Def a complete sentence.

Gnight all. Here's to another 24 for all of us!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:18 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badger257 View Post
Sinking- that was BRAVE of you to do that! Inspiring actually. And so happy someone reached out.

Rural and D - I like that. ..no is most Def a complete sentence.

Gnight all. Here's to another 24 for all of us!
Heck yes!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
BYB

Fell off the wagon tonight, again. Didn't drink that much but I drank. Same old same old. Had to use my voice and voice didn't work. Drank enough to make it work a little bit... One mission accomplished, another mission left in uncertainty...
Old 02-21-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll explore other options for your speech problems BYB - however rare the condition, there must be other ways of dealing with it.

Booze brings more problems than solutions, and it's a progressive problem.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:38 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  
BYB

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope you'll explore other options for your speech problems BYB - however rare the condition, there must be other ways of dealing with it.

Booze brings more problems than solutions, and it's a progressive problem.
Rewind the clock 30 years and I am right with ya DEE74. I spent thousands of my own money for speech therapy and gave it everything I had and stayed with it longer than I should have. I tried many botox injections which help a decent percentage of people with the condition I have. I tried most of the prescription medications that also help some people. None of it worked for me. I felt the only thing left to do was treat myself or suffer with a really debilitation, isolating condition.

On the positive side, Since going through detox, I noticed that having coffee helps get my voice on track. I know... another drug but It did help me get clean after being a total mess 3 weeks ago. It also helped me get through some of the toughest days after detox. I am going to try and make the transition. I did half and half tonight so going to try to go full coffee eventually. I realize that I can probably not use booze anymore like I have the past 30 years...
Old 02-21-2017, 09:42 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Administrator

No probably about it really. I know it's hard to turn away from a readily available tool, but the earlier you do it, you'll thank yourself later.

No doubt you've seen this website
National Spasmodic Dysphonia Association: Home Page

There must be info and support on new treatments there?
Old 02-21-2017, 10:10 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
BYB- like wise, hope your partner is okay
CL- no the bloody thing tried to strangle me, but it was not big enough. In the end it settled and explored my face.
The bearded dragon lizard was way cool. It used to sit on top of my head- while snakey was around my neck. Weird feeling the lizard running down my shirt- tickled.
Tried to strangle you - LOL. I would like to conquer my fear of snakes one day, however. Just don't know how to go about it.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:18 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badger257 View Post
Today was a complete emotional roller coaster.... laughed. Cried, was angry, hopeless, etc etc etc..... having to face reality is always my downfall. I don't want to drink, I just don't want to feel is the only way I can explain it. At any rate. I won't be drinking because my sister invited me over, and I ate my weight in lasagne. No room left for anything else!
Badger - I can completely understand regarding what you wrote. "I don't want to drink - I just don't want to feel." Joining this site has made me realize that a lot of us alcoholics don't drink primarily because of the aesthetic taste of booze (although I do love the taste of whisky ) but we drink a lot 'cause we use the rush we get from booze as anesthetic; in the same way a surgeon will use it to numb the pain a patient would feel from surgery if there weren't any pain-suppressing drugs. Thing is, booze is nothing but a cruel illusion - the mirage you see when you are stranded in the desert. It's far from a pain suppressant that makes things okay. It'll make us feel good for a couple hours, but the problems it brings in the aftermath, just make things so much worse.

I'm glad you spent time with your sister. And I'm jealous you had lasagne! I love it. I need to learn how to make it - in this day and age, there's no excuse as I can simply watch a YouTube video of someone making it and follow them step by step.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:22 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
Welcome RuralJuror! Also any new people I may have missed!
It's been a long, but good day for me.
So good to see you all still here and making it a day at a time. Catlover, you are a real inspiration to me, continuing on in spite of having no 'live' support. I have a fear of palmetto bugs. They're like giant roaches. Horrid!! And I'm claustrophobic. That got better for a while but then came back full force in the past year. I hope it gets better as I stay sober.
Sweet dreams everyone.
Thanks, Sober. Means a lot

Ugh, I hate cockroaches. They are absolutely disgusting. Filthy creatures! The way their antennas sway this way and that really grosses me out.

Hope you sleep well.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:23 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Made it through last night. On day 6 now . I'm feeling really good.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:02 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Hi all
Home after a dinner out. I had fizzy lemon water.
So grateful

Hugs for those struggling
Old 02-22-2017, 01:12 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Think how good you will feel in the morning.
I've been awake an hour now and feel ready for the day - it feels so good and the quality of sleep I have is fab.
I like not feeling shaky so much
Old 02-22-2017, 01:35 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Good Morning Day 4! I'm getting ready to go workout and then another busy day at work. I look forward to catching up with you all tonight. Have a great day/evening and as someone else said "No is a complete sentence!" Love that!!
Old 02-22-2017, 04:37 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Good morning class,
Welcome to all the new members. I haven't had a chance to catch up on the thread.
Day #18 for me. Have been sleeping so deeply every night, but I am very sleepy today. I guess my body needs sleep.
Best of luck to all of us today.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  
BYB

Feel OK after 24 days after entering detox. 3rd night in a row I slept like a log. The sleep coma thing has started to settle down a little. The first night of good sleep, it was like an out of body experience. I have had 3 relapses so far. None have been extreme but I did drink just the same.

Hope you all have a great day and keep posting!
Old 02-22-2017, 06:17 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  
HFA

Day 4 for me, just checking in. Hypertension medicine is making me dizzy and exhausted. I hope it passes sometime this week.

Lets all add one more day today
Old 02-22-2017, 06:27 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Back on day 3. I'm feeling strong and ready to get things done.

I attended a birthday party last night. Hubby and I ended up coming just a bit late and everyone had had a few cocktails before we arrived. I helped set the dinner table and hubby and I grilled the steaks. Sitting around the table during and after dinner stone cold sober was interesting. About 50% of the conversation was interesting. The remainder was the same-old-same-old stories that seem so much funnier after a few drinks. After the others left, I rinsed and stacked the dishes and made myself and the birthday girl a cup of tea. No one really overindulged. Perhaps the host just a bit, but it's not like he was driving or anything. I was happy to be home at a reasonable time.

Life is good this morning.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:37 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by catlover1989 View Post
Made it through last night. On day 6 now . I'm feeling really good.
Great work! Glad you are feeling well too.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:07 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Good morning Class!

Trees - Glad you had a nice dinner. I'm going to have to try the fizzy lemon water thing.

BYB - I don't have any experience with your voice condition, but hopefully you can find something that will help. If alcohol works, something else has to as well?

Kcey - I am still waiting the sleeping like a rock phase. It can't come soon enough.

SoberSadie - I am headed back to the gym today after a couple months off (drinking of course the reason). Thanks for the motivation!

Dau - Great to see! Congratulations on Day 18!!!

HFA - I suffer from vertigo, so I understand how frustrating it can be. Hopefully the meds will settle down, and the dizzy feeling goes away.

Milli - Good job on not drinking at the party! I am not sure I could handle that at this point, but hearing you did tells me that it is possible again. And yeah, same old boring stories when a group of "buzzed" people get together.

Was a strange morning for me. Woke up with crushing anxiety, that I usually feel after a long day of drinking. Has gotten better as the morning has rolled on, and actually don't feel that bad. Looking forward to that settling down and my brain getting back to "normal".

If I missed anyone (and I am sure I did), keep up the good work. I think the Graduation Rate of this class is going to be exceptional!!!
Old 02-22-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Good morning! Day 3. I finally got some sleep last night and kept waking up in puddles of sweat because of vivid nightmares. I guess the alcohol is doing its best of leaving my system and I'm not sure if Librium is causing me to have such weird and scary dreams. It feels good to sleep again. I'm still on Librium to bring down shakes. Another day of work missed but even if I do lose my job, I'd rather do that than lose my life or even attempt to do anything except heal my body. I'm very excited about my first meeting tomorrow. Bed rest and hydration and food for me today. It's awful what your body goes through with not eating for days, not having restful sleep in weeks, and doing nothing but pounding bottle after bottle, from morning to night. But I will do this