Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-19-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
All is Change

If you find something that works for you then do it. There are three things that particularly work for me when I have cravings. I maintain to the best of my ability an awareness of them. I don't strengthen my attachment to my cravings by making them more or less important than any other sensations that arise on my body. That is, I maintain awareness equanimously. If I find myself being overwhelmed I do something. There are many things that need doing. For example I need to sort out all the junk that has accumulated in my car. I keep in mind a lot of these little tasks that need doing and use them as my way to pass time while the cravings (and aversions) are there. They always pass. Always. The more I deal with them like this the easier it becomes to deal with them and they graduallt loosen the grip they have on me. It might not seem like that at times. Initially it may seem they get more intense but that is just a clearing of a backlog.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:34 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Just a quick post to check in and wish you all a good sober day.
I'm off to the airport to fly interstate with a family member, heart procedure.
Not so good.

Good to see you back on board badger.....trees, dau, we seem to be at a similar point in this...the 2 week mark. Slept well for first time last night, it's taken a long time for the sleep to improve this time.

Check back later, from another city.

All the best
Old 02-19-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SueDenim View Post
Have you got something you can drink instead of your booze of choice, Badger? I don't know what you like, so can't suggest anything specific; but something that would take your mind off the cravings.

What time is it where you are? Can you go for a walk, or dig the garden, or anything to keep you busy?

Keep posting, so we can know you are ok?
I just drank a liter of water and shot the basketball around a bit. (I'm 40, so that was interesting) it has passed for now. US central time, so 330 pm. Thank you for helping! On a side note, I think everyone's screen name should also show what part the world you are from.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:41 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I like the idea of putting where we are on our screen name thingy.
I am not getting over being tired yet. I have had the laziest day. All sorts of plans and nothing accomplished. About to snuggle up and watch some tv. I should do some work, getting ready for the week. After I rest a bit, I'll try to at least do something! I also want to go to a meeting. I don't see that happening either. Only reason I don't nap is I'm afraid I won't sleep tonight.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:56 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober369 View Post
I like the idea of putting where we are on our screen name thingy.
I am not getting over being tired yet. I have had the laziest day. All sorts of plans and nothing accomplished. About to snuggle up and watch some tv. I should do some work, getting ready for the week. After I rest a bit, I'll try to at least do something! I also want to go to a meeting. I don't see that happening either. Only reason I don't nap is I'm afraid I won't sleep tonight.
Are you in the states as well?
Old 02-19-2017, 03:12 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a great link for anyone dealing with cravings

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 02-19-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hang in there badger, you're halfway through the day! Cravings hit me repeatedly the first week or so but they passed after 15-20 minutes. Every time I had one I ate something, it helped me. Go to bed early and remember how good you'll feel tomorrow morning when you wake.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Karen, I feel the same way. I'm pretty sick right now but even a week ago I was putting off everything other than eating and bathing... such a guilty feeling for doing so.

canguy, best to you and your family's health. I hope the heart procedure goes well.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by starstarstar View Post
Hang in there badger, you're halfway through the day! Cravings hit me repeatedly the first week or so but they passed after 15-20 minutes. Every time I had one I ate something, it helped me. Go to bed early and remember how good you'll feel tomorrow morning when you wake.
I've eaten everything in my house today. Lol. Guess my body is telling it needs actual non liquid calories it has been denied.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Productive weekend. Grymt, I agree that a great way to combat cravings is that running mental to-do list. And, it usually doesn't take much in the end. Sort this laundry, move that houseplant, etc.

Little things can go a long way to provide distraction.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
Curious February class - what are YOU doing to assist in your recovery? AA, Smart, CR, AVRT? I realize it's early one and most of us are just trying to not drink right now. I'm curious about your long term plans for when your AV starts screaming?
AVRT is my choice. It really makes a lot of sense to me. I used it successfully 5 years ago for better part of a year. Unfortunately I let my guard down, got away from the support here and went back to what I've known for 30 years. Thankfully I did learn from that experience and have added a written game plan to maintain vigilance both short term and long term when complacency tends to bite.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nexttime View Post
AVRT is my choice. It really makes a lot of sense to me. I used it successfully 5 years ago for better part of a year. Unfortunately I let my guard down, got away from the support here and went back to what I've known for 30 years. Thankfully I did learn from that experience and have added a written game plan to maintain vigilance both short term and long term when complacency tends to bite.
Me too! I am just starting to read RR. Can you tell me what kind of things you have in your game plan? Not being nosey - but I have nothing written down and I probably should.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:00 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Sorry I haven't been very social on here. This time round I'm trying to take a calmer approach and not get so gung-ho about it. In saying that, i had organized the busiest weekend which did work to distract me for the most part. I found myself just standing around at times though not sure what to do. I find brushing my teeth helps and even having shower as a good distraction. I had 2 on Saturday!
Thank you for sharing your ideas.
A week for me. Yeah!
Well done to all for making it another day sober!
Enjoy your day and take care
Old 02-19-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Yes, Badger, I live in Georgia.
I've had a huge appetite, too. And drinking a lot of juice. I should switch to water, probably.
I'm going to be very busy this week. Then, I work through the weekend. I may try to work it so I have Friday off.
Happy week everyone!
Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! hope everyone is doing well and enjoyed their weekend. I am a week sober tomorrow and It says I registered here 2009 which is 8 years ago and I honestly don't remember signing up but I haven't been back that much since but this time I am really going to get sober . I have had enough of the same cycle of thinking drinking is going to make me feel good, then once I have one I cant stop and it just makes me feel even worse , then somehow a few days or weeks later convincing myself it will make me feel good and repeat repeat! thanks for listening
Old 02-19-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
Me too! I am just starting to read RR. Can you tell me what kind of things you have in your game plan? Not being nosey - but I have nothing written down and I probably should.
I am reading RR again. I have placed reminders on my calender biweekly to remind me to forever maintain vigilance against the beast. I journal my success and struggles briefly each day. I remind myself at least once a day that I will never drink again. And staying busy as possible.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Queen - congrats on a week!!! It's amazing how irrationally rational our brain are. No more!
Old 02-19-2017, 11:06 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Managed to make it through the longest weekend of my life. It was so difficult, but managed to make it through it. Daytime wasn't so bad since I kept myself busy but nighttime was the worst. 4 days sober now.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:09 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Night all.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:33 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you're still with us catlover

D