Notices

Class of February 2017 Support Thread Part 2

Old 02-25-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Welcome groundhoggirl. I love your user name, but you don't ever have to have another day 1! I'm glad you're here!
Old 02-25-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome groundhoggirl, retiredguy, and kgirl

If you're struggling, the best thing is too look at what you've been doing to stay sober and add some new things to the toolbox

D
Old 02-25-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Welcome to the the new folks.
I love the support here it is a tremendous tool.
My wife knows that I'm making an effort to stop but she learned a long time ago not to get excited one way or the other. I've "controlled" my drinking well enough over the years for her to not worry about it too much. For people without addiction it's no big deal so they don't understand fully understand what it takes. Another reason I like this site.
I finished installing flooring in the extra bedroom today, went to the store to buy trim and flooring for my son's room for tomorrow then hit the gym with my son. I took the carpet out of those rooms months ago. I so love having the energy to get things done instead of barely making it to the couch to spend the day. So glad tomorrow morning I will be clear headed and not hanging just like the rest of you!!
Old 02-25-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  
HFA

Holy crap nexttime, just reading your post makes me exhausted..Lol.
Course this new blood pressure meds, giving up caffeine, and 6 days sober don't help with being tired.

Made it thru a long sat work day with no beer. Huge step for me.

Keep posting and keep sober....
Old 02-25-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Day 3 (last drink on Wednesday). Me and my wife went to some good friends house tonight (a couple), they had a few drinks, but I didn't. I told my friends that I am off the "poison" for good. They were very supportive (and I kind of knew they would be, so this was a safe disclosure). I think being transparent generally works better for me than fabricating white lies, at least if I deal with people I know and trust. I will likely keep it more private in the work and other settings, so may have to manage around this in the upcoming days / weeks (including rescheduling some planned work happy hours!).
Old 02-25-2017, 08:02 PM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Hello, is this thread hidden from the public?
Old 02-25-2017, 08:34 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  
Meow

No, pepper. This is a public forum/thread.

Welcome new friends!

Had dinner with my parents at their house. Everyone drank except me. Mom
and Dad stopped after a few. Hubby did not. He got quite toasted. Not totally drunk but close enough to annoy me. It was easier to handle when I was drinking too (although I never drank too much in public).
Old 02-25-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  
Asa

This will be my first sober weekend in I don't remember how long. I'm a Fri-Sun binger, and it's getting close to bed time so I'm in the clear.

Truth be told, however, this was an easy weekend to stop, nothing much going on, lot to do. I'm good during the week, so my next challenge will be next Friday.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Day 20 pretty much done, just a couple of hours before bed.

It's a real jarring feeling for me when I realise that most people don't think about booze the way I do.

I went for a walk in a pretty part of town with a friend. I noticed/sought out every wine store immediately and clocked up all the drinks on every table I passed. It's a habit. A desperate one.

I forced myself not to ask her why she didn't buy wine for tonight from the stores or why she just had a coffee. It seemed ludicrous to me to sit In the sunshine and just drink coffee.

My thoughts are definitely alcoholic.
At least I'm noticing.

Part of my plan is not to talk about drinking to others cause I know I'm doing it in a 'wistful' kinda way.

'Are you going to have a wine?' 'Did you want to grab a bottle before we go?' 'Did you have a few drinks last night?'

All AV.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by pepper777 View Post
Hello, is this thread hidden from the public?
No we're an open site, which means anyone can read our posts so that people who need help can just jump in

That's why we remind people to use an anonymous username and be careful about personal details.

Other parts of the forum,like chat and member profiles, are only open to members, and Blogs can be set to private.

Dee
SR
Old 02-25-2017, 10:44 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  

Welcome Asa and groundhog! ! Conradan great work on day 3. keep posting... looking forward to getting to know you all.
Went to a surprise b day party tonight. Was at a bar. I had zero desire to drink. But it was really nice to catch up with old friends, so glad I went. And I get to wake up sober tomorrow.

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 02-25-2017, 11:29 PM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Tree- nice work on 20! I noticed tonight that nobody cared one bit that I wasn't drinking. It's funny how our brains make us think so differently about alcohol. Like we are the center of the universe of sorts. Hard to explain I guess.
Old 02-26-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

Trying 2

Trying to not drink when drinking is all you have left is such a pain.
Tonight i held out for few hours then cracked one.
I feel really lost right now.
Geoff
Australia. 20:31
Old 02-26-2017, 01:51 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Geoff
welcome aboard
If it's possible for you to make your house a no drink zone, then do it. It makes things a lot easier, or at least it did for me.

This site really gave me the support I needed to get through day by day sober - I know we can help you too

D
Old 02-26-2017, 02:30 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Hello, folks

I'm sorry went missing for a few days. I relapsed on Thursday night - for a more detailed explanation, go here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...o-ashamed.html

I'm currently 2 days sober. Yesterday my cousin showed up with some booze but I left him and other folks at my place while I went to work. I wasn't even supposed to be working yesterday, but I wanted to avoid temptation.

I've been scrolling through the pages and I must say, the incredible support people have shown towards me since my absence, is very heartwarming. It really is. And at the same time it makes me sad, cause I feel like I have let all the wonderful people here who have been so supportive, down.

I did learn some valuable lessons after Thursday night - lessons I feel like I can use in the future.

Just want to say a big thanks to everyone here.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:34 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Know where you're coming from Geoff. Alcohol becomes the solution for the problems it has created in your life. It's a hard roundabout to get off....and plenty of us here are still trying.

But it really is worth trying. Welcome and I hope being on here will help.
All the best mate....
Old 02-26-2017, 03:20 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

Well done trees.
Hello everyone who's just joined.

My partner came home after having a few glasses of wine and I was pleased to know the smell revolted me so I slept in one of the spare bedrooms.

I'm envious she can have a couple of glasses where I know one glass means two bottles :-/

I'm doing Day 7 and F -me 6&7 have been like hell, I've been trying to work all weekend, went for a run, it's all I can do to not go to the 'cellar' and open a bottle of wine
Old 02-26-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Today is day 5 for me being clean off opiate addiction, I was actually able to sleep I woke up with a smile on my face.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the new members.
I just passed the three week mark .
The weekends are definitely the most difficult-------usually I would drink at least 4 bottles of wine over the weekend.
What is working the best for me is substitution----finding other things to look forward to.
Keep putting one foot in front of the other. We can do it together!
Old 02-26-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Been reading and catching up. So glad you're back Catlover! Welcome to all the new people. Keep us posted! It helps me so much to read how everyone is going about this early recovery.
I bought vitamins and am working hard on not consuming any sugar or things that turn to sugar quickly once consumed, like white bread and white rice, flour, things like that. But, last night on my way to a meeting I got to feeling really bad. Hungry, tired, didn't want to go to the meeting at all but I knew it was my alcoholism talking. So, I bought a huge cinnamon roll and a bottle of chocolate milk and snarfed it all on the way to the meeting. It was a great meeting, too. A lady shared how her Higher Power had completely removed her desire to drink, and that he would do the same for any of us. I loved it. Sorry if this is too much information, I know many of us are not into 'Higher Powers' or AA or anything like that. But it meant a lot to me and I wanted to share it.
So, I'm going to try to get back on my no sugar and lots of vitamins diet, and I'm going to be much more open to my spiritual side.
Happy sober day everyone! I will be at work again.