Notices

Class of March 2016 part 41

Old 02-17-2017, 07:57 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Post when you feel crap- not just when you feel good. If all meetings, chat rooms etc were there for happy, well balanced, sober people- they would not be there.
Guilty here, as well. I post more when I'm doing well - less when I am close to the edge. Something for me to keep in mind.

Glad you are getting better sleep now, PJ.

Upstairs - I think you got some solid hobby recommendations!!

BBG - I had a BLT for lunch today in your honor

Have a great night everyone!
Old 02-17-2017, 09:39 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Hi all. Been at times in a tailspin and at other times only on the edge of the wilderness, but sobriety has not been my strongpoint. Not sure of my plan except to keep pushing and getting to the point of wanting to be sober more than drinking. It’s far more daunting than I’d ever thought and don’t understand why it eludes. I know it can be done, I’ve seen it done by all of you and I believe I can do it. Just need to find a way strengthen belief into something a bit more unshakable and concrete. Just wanted to check in and let you know I’m still here, still reading and still committed to working on it. Not running as much, but still running.

Regardless, I also wanted to offer a few responses as I have continued to read.

Glad to hear you’re settling in well in AZ, MITA. Sorry you slipped but you’ve had multiple lengthy runs and certainly are primed to keep going.

You, and your son, Bobbie, are showing what can be done by reaching out. It’s not a strong suit for me, but I’m trying really hard to learn from your tremendous example.

You’re doing it, Sam. We all can see that. Have faith in yourself. You beat the AV time and time again.

Awesome to hear of your new place and more sleep, PJ. I can only echo what’s been said that your sons will be with you again.

Keep on hitting those bass drums, or timpanis, Purp. Never thought much about it; makes sense. As to the exercise thing, no pain, no gain, right? Or was that some seriously annoying slogan from a couple decades ago?

10 it is, LB. Just keep your eye on the prize. You’re doing excellent.

Rock on, Upstairs. Perhaps that’s why you chose that name…to remind you to insulate the attic? Nah, but it makes a mediocre conspiracy theory.

Seven days is fantastic, Kiki. Just keep it going. Like Dee suggested, try to think of how you’ll deal with future events that might be similar.

Can’t always nap, CH. I kid. Hope you and DD had a nice afternoon together.

No, bbg, not ready for the weekend, and still jealous of your BLT. Seems you’re doing quite well, good to see.

Jemma, please, please, please, take care of you and your son above all else. So you said he could read your posts and he did. So what? That’s fine, you “com[ing] clean because he is making [you]” is not okay. We won’t judge you no matter what, but it should be your decision to tell us and no one else’s. I find that kind of implied coercion distasteful to say the least no matter the circumstance. Do what you need to do for you and your son, he must deal with his own situation.

AK, PR, immri and anyone else I missed, my apologies.

Much love to all.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:45 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thirteenth - the problem with waiting to get to the point of wanting to be sober more than you want to drink is that not everyone gets to that point, especially with continued drinking.

What about if you were to roleplay getting to that point and committed to being sober?

You might find a break from drinking helps clarify a few things in your thinking - might even suggest other avenues?.

D
Old 02-17-2017, 10:04 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Dee, I agree. To my recollection, I've only disagreed with you once and it was on a minor issue. I have no defense for my continued drinking when I know the problem it is. What I can say, is that I haven't run away from here and am taking any and all advice even if it falls on my mostly deaf/stubborn ears. It's progress for me, though quite minor. I know what needs to be done. As everyone knows, knowing and doing it are different things. I don't mean to waste anyone's time as I continue to work through this.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't suggesting at all that you were wasting anyones time or that you shouldn't post here

I just think action - even at a 'fake it til you make it' level - is preferable to wishing/hoping that one day you'll suddenly want to be sober more than you want to drink.

I've known several people here who's luck and life ran out before they got to that point.

I don't want to be adding your name to that list one day, anymore than you want to be on it.

D
Old 02-17-2017, 11:55 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

13th - you are not wasting any one's time? !

Sleep- interesting. In communal recovery place (own room) I tried so hard to establish a 'normal' pattern. When I could not sleep- I would spend hours doing meditation, quiet room etc. But the loonies do not keep 'normal' hours. Immediately here- I sleep betta. I have spent the last 17 months surviving one way or another- then WHAM! Where I am now is pretty normal. I think this is where a lot of normal people trip up. They stop drinking- life goes on. The sun comes up, home still there- jobs, kids- the same. They feel better about life. So drinking- that's normal.
Then the game is on. I am aware not to fall into that trap. I did that for years. The paint façade of normality hiding the chronic rust cancer of my 'iron' will.
Not doing that again.

I also have a SHOWER (talking about loo's is SO yesterday). It has PRESSURE! There are no grotty cakes of soap with pubic hairs sticking to them. No one's clean their teeth in the shower gob marks on the tiles.
I did check 9instinct0 that the shower was free and my room was locked- but of course it is my man space now. Small things. There are loonies here I know- but it is different now- I have my space.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Good morning!!

On my way to work and it seems a little lighter out already...perhaps Spring really is on the way!! I say bring it on Mother Nature...bring it on!!

Thirteenth - you are never wasting anyone's time. Glad you're here and glad you're still fighting. We can never give up - this disease is ugly and cruel...you (we) deserve much more from life than to constantly be running on the hamster wheel that is alcoholism. There are plenty of days that I feel like I am simply putting one foot in front of the other (or faking it til I make it) but Dee is right,although it's not ideal it's better than the alternative. The list he talks about is not one I want my name or anyone's name here added to. Love you.

PJ - your post reminded me to not take anything for granted and to celebrate all the "little" things....it also grossed me out a little (pubic hairs in the soap) - enjoy your man space.

Well off to be a grown up....I suggest you don't do it...it's overrated.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:37 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Morning BBG!! What are your plans for today?
Old 02-18-2017, 04:26 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Mornin' Sam. Haven't got my day mapped out yet. Still workin' on it. I don't think I'll try the grownup thingy though!!! LOL
Old 02-18-2017, 04:32 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Good mornin' Marchers. I hope everybody's weekend has started out on the right foot!

Post when you feel crap- not just when you feel good. If all meetings, chat rooms etc were there for happy, well balanced, sober people- they would not be there.
Phoenix that is so true with me. I love to post when I'm doin' ok. But when I'm not I don't. I really, really need to work on changing that!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 04:52 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

me all the time
Old 02-18-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Morning, class!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! It is going to feel like Spring here this weekend with temps in the low 60's. Looking forward to spending some time outside. Unfortunately, my daughter has a bd party to go to today at an indoor, germ infested place. Ah well.

Day 10! There is a liquor store right next to the place where my daughter's party is this afternoon so I am going to be very on guard for my AV to appear and will be prepared to fight it.

Will check back later. Love you all!
Old 02-18-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

Good plannin' Ladybug.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Crazy dreams, Not much sleep. Very sad!
@therealMITA.

Haha - my attempt at political humor.

I hope everyone has a good weekend and keeps posting here on good days and bad. Even though I am a little tired this morning, I'm grateful to be sober and hangover free. At 56, the day after is much worse than it was at 26 or 36.

Time for some breakfast, my favorite meal - oh yeah, and some startin' fluid
Old 02-18-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Enjoy your meal and the startin' fluid MITA. I certainly understand the age thing!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I wasn't suggesting at all that you were wasting anyones time or that you shouldn't post here
I know you weren't. It was just me feeling like I'm wasting everyone's time, not the least of which is my own. I don't want to be on that list either.

13th - you are not wasting any one's time? !
Originally Posted by samantha14 View Post
Thirteenth - you are never wasting anyone's time.
Same as above. Just upset with myself. Thank you all.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:51 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

We all get upset. That is normal. What I do with the being upset is the clincher. I write, post, read, walk, paint, watch doco's. meetings,. therapy sessions, shout, cry- anything but drink. I hate myself some days- which makes me fight this sh.t even more strongly.
Keep at it 13. Keep posting and sharing. OPEN UP.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

It's GORGEOUS out today! I foresee a long dog walk.

Sam - the only grown up thing I'm doing today is vacuuming with my new vacuum. Hope you have a good day at work.

PJ - the shower description from your communal digs made me cringe. Glad you have your own shower. Thanks for the reminder not to take things for granted. It's so easy to get stuck in our heads and focus on the things that we feel are not going our way, when in reality we have so much to be thankful for. Selfishness at it's best.

Bobbie - glad you had a good meeting.

13th - keep posting. Sorry you're feeling stuck. The only way off of the merry go round is a leap of faith that sobriety is a worthwhile gift. And it really is.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Hola all! I hope everyone is doing well. I'm going out and buying myself a herd of elephants! Eh, kidding. I think I'll workout and then wander around Costco or something. Maybe take the dog to a park. I hope you feel better soon thirteenth! And everyone else!
Old 02-18-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Well we survived the epic storm yesterday, more to come today but I'm not sure if it will be as bad. After being in a drought for so long the earth is having a hard time with this amount of rain here.

We were planning a trip to the zoo today but looks like we will postpone till next week. I don't want to be floating down the road next to a lion. I'm not sure what we will do today, probably nothing, I think hubby is just happy being at home.