Notices

Class of March 2016 part 41

Old 02-18-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Hey all! I love this quote that I saw on Twitter:

"Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are"

Just thought I'd share - done w/ work 4 the day, going to the gym before I change my mind....then I'll probably head to a Starbucks for some "continuing fluid!" Will check back in after while
Old 02-18-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  

On my way home and the sun is shining!! Woot!! Didn't stop for a tea but I have to make a slight detour to the mall so I will pick one up there...I feel like something funky. Lol

Purplrks - I like the idea of "continuing fluid".....hope you enjoyed yours!!

Well gotta run - PJ I will let you know what kind of tea I end up with!!
Old 02-18-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 443 (permalink)  

I started reading a couple of my books:

The Coffee Break Screenwriter: Writing your script 10 minutes at a time by Pilar Alessandra ~ So far I like it because it's like multitasking.....finally starting to get a story down in writing, with step by step instructions, plus it's the journaling that I've been needing to do.....my next step is to list character flaws of the main character (me) ~ First flaw: alcoholic. That's all I have so far. (Think I'm gonna need more computer storage once I get this list going! LOL)

Tough Sh*t by Kevin Smith ~ it's a good one as well....I had no idea Bruce Willis can be such a jerk to work with!?!?!
Old 02-18-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 444 (permalink)  

House is vacuumed, hurray! I had to buy a replacement vacuum a little while ago and decided on a "pet" vacuum from a reputable brand (not dyson, btw...way too spendy!). I was so disappointed in this thing. I have a dog and a cat, so If I vacuum the whole house and only have to empty the canister once...the thing ain't working. So I bit the bullet and got ANOTHER vacuum and went with the brand that needed replacing originally. I finally feel like I have a clean house again! It's the little things.

Oh, and my dog decided to sneak out while I was running the vacuum. Thankfully he was just visiting around the neighborhood and a neighbor brought him home. He looked so proud of himself. Stinker.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 445 (permalink)  

I love my dysons! I have 2 a big one for upstairs and a cordless one for downstairs (ok I might be spoiled)

I just had a flashback! Remember when we'd get drunk and decide now is a good time to text everyone? Well I was sitting here bored and I thought who can I text. Memories of my drunken self came running back for a minute.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

PR - for me it was FB. I've noticed my FB usage is way down these days
Old 02-18-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

I had to take myself off of FB all together! Really glad I did, though. It's been like 5 years and I don't miss it.....hopefully 5 years from now I can say the same thing about drinking
Old 02-18-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

5 years off FB - that's pretty cool. I take a month or so off every now and then - but there are some people where FB is my only way of keeping in touch.

Busy day for me - AV a little more active than I'd like, but that seems to happen when I am coming back from getting side tracked. It's amazing how resilient that AV is - give him an inch .....

I'll be okay today, though. I've got a busy few days of work coming up, starting with little travel and dinner tomorrow.

Sam, I am having some ICED tea - nothing special, just good old black tea.

Don't drink - it's dumb.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:50 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

PR - I had a Dyson for a few years. It worked well, but was a monster to maneuver. I wasn't sad when it died. I now have a Shark and love it. It works just as well as a Dyson, but is less expensive, lighter, and has pretty cool features like the lift away canister...I have three sets of stairs, so that is a huge plus!
Old 02-18-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Upstairs View Post
Hola all! Congrats on your 7 days Kiki! Glad to have you back.
Another nice weekend here with maybe some light rain. Hard to believe we're in the middle of February, but I know as soon as I put up the winter gear a cold snap is sure to return.
Well, no plans again this weekend aside from the regular exercising and household chores. I need a hobby or something. Maybe I'll start planning out insulating my attic. Without the backyard tree shade (it fell over last summer), the house AC bills have gone way up. Anyways, have a happy and sober weekend all, if I don't chime in again! But I probably will. Chime back in that is!
Thanks so much Upstairs. Its crazy warm where we live too. The winter had been kinda non-existent. I am bummed because I'm one of those rare people that loves snow, ice and COLD! hahaha
Old 02-18-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jemma44 View Post
So I have to fess up. I haven't been honest. I've been pretending I'm ok but I'm not. Remember the ex, the baby daddy I struggled so hard to get out of my house? Well, I let him back in in September. Things have not been good. I let him in because he was suicidal. And he has since been ok. Remodeling my bathroom, helping with our son. But still abusive. Just found out he is reading all my posts. Because apparently I told him to when I was drunk we got in a bad fight on New Year's Eve, I physically attacked him and the cops were here though I did not get arrested. I attacked him because he was harrassing me all night long via text horrible messages. But oh well what's done is done. Wanted to come clean because he is making me.
I am so sorry you are going through this Jemma. I am praying for you!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulRain View Post
He's making you come clean? I hope he doesn't think we are going to feel sorry for him. Sorry dude I'm all out of ***** to give for "men" who abuse women.
Ditto!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:07 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
Hi everyone!

My daughter has off school today and Monday so trying to plan some fun things for us to do. Need to stay busy. Day 9. Tomorrow night will be the test. It will be Day 10 ( when I tend to slip) and a Sat night with no plans. I need to get through it. Can't go back to Day 1.

Hi Kiki! Great job on 7 days. Glad you are here with us

Sam, way to go last night beating your AV. You keep getting stronger and stronger with each sober day.

PJ, keep moving forward. I agree with Sam, I truly believe one day your sons will be in your life again. They would be proud of you. We all are!

Hope everyone is having a good Friday! The sun is out here for a nice change.
Thanks Ladybug! You are doing so great!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobbieka View Post
Acceptance

Our basic recovery concept that never loses its power to work miracles is the concept called acceptance.

We do not achieve acceptance in a moment. We often have to work through a mirage of feelings - sometimes anger, outrage, shame, self-pity, or sadness. But if acceptance is our goal, we will achieve it.

What is more freeing than to laugh at our weaknesses and to be grateful for our strengths? To know the entire package called "us" - with all our feelings, thoughts, tendencies, and history - is worthy of acceptance and brings healing feelings.

To accept our circumstances is another miraculous cure. For anything to change or anyone to change, we must first accept others, the circumstance, and ourselves exactly as they are. Then, we need to take it one step further. We need to become grateful for our circumstances or ourselves. We add a touch of faith by saying, "I know this is exactly the way it's supposed to be for the moment."

No matter how complicated we get, the basics never lose their power to restore us to sanity.

Today, God, help me practice the concept of acceptance in my life. Help me accept others, my circumstances, and myself. Take me one step further, and help me feel grateful.
This is really awesome Bobbie!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Kiki
What are you going to do next time you come up against conflict?

D
Thanks Dee! The next time there is conflict I am going to walk away. I am going to call my sponsor or another support person. Post here. Go for a walk. EAT. SLEEP. Pray. ANYTHING BUT DRINK!!!

I learned in a meeting this week that sobriety is NOT "conditional". It must be UN-conditional. There is nothing in the world that drinking will fix or make better. I can find ANY excuse to drink. I just don't want it or need it anymore. I hate alcohol.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Kiki- shame is a wasted emotion if you do nothing with it. There really is no point in saying do not feel ashamed- because you said you already did. Feelings do not go away once they emerge, we cannot magic them away. What can you do NEXT time to deal better with stressful stuff- at that very moment? Not what life will be in 10 years time- just right here, right now .
Post when you feel crap- not just when you feel good. If all meetings, chat rooms etc were there for happy, well balanced, sober people- they would not be there.

Upstairs- I did some research on hobbies for you. Have you thought of something outside your comfort zone? Say,
- elephant herding
- adopt-a-blue whale (YOU NEED ACCESS TO A SWIMMING POOL)
- moon walking- on the moon.
- knitting with wire
The choices are endless.
Not much today. 1118 Saturday. A meeting later (men only, sponsors choice- no different to me). Since moving here- I am sleeping more.
Thanks so much Phoenix. (((hug)))
Old 02-18-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ManInTheArena View Post
Guilty here, as well. I post more when I'm doing well - less when I am close to the edge. Something for me to keep in mind.

Glad you are getting better sleep now, PJ.

Upstairs - I think you got some solid hobby recommendations!!

BBG - I had a BLT for lunch today in your honor

Have a great night everyone!
Obviously I do this too MITA. I isolate when I feel ashamed or I am not doing well. It's a bad habit that I need to break!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thirteenth View Post
Hi all. Been at times in a tailspin and at other times only on the edge of the wilderness, but sobriety has not been my strongpoint. Not sure of my plan except to keep pushing and getting to the point of wanting to be sober more than drinking. It’s far more daunting than I’d ever thought and don’t understand why it eludes. I know it can be done, I’ve seen it done by all of you and I believe I can do it. Just need to find a way strengthen belief into something a bit more unshakable and concrete. Just wanted to check in and let you know I’m still here, still reading and still committed to working on it. Not running as much, but still running.

Regardless, I also wanted to offer a few responses as I have continued to read.

Glad to hear you’re settling in well in AZ, MITA. Sorry you slipped but you’ve had multiple lengthy runs and certainly are primed to keep going.

You, and your son, Bobbie, are showing what can be done by reaching out. It’s not a strong suit for me, but I’m trying really hard to learn from your tremendous example.

You’re doing it, Sam. We all can see that. Have faith in yourself. You beat the AV time and time again.

Awesome to hear of your new place and more sleep, PJ. I can only echo what’s been said that your sons will be with you again.

Keep on hitting those bass drums, or timpanis, Purp. Never thought much about it; makes sense. As to the exercise thing, no pain, no gain, right? Or was that some seriously annoying slogan from a couple decades ago?

10 it is, LB. Just keep your eye on the prize. You’re doing excellent.

Rock on, Upstairs. Perhaps that’s why you chose that name…to remind you to insulate the attic? Nah, but it makes a mediocre conspiracy theory.

Seven days is fantastic, Kiki. Just keep it going. Like Dee suggested, try to think of how you’ll deal with future events that might be similar.

Can’t always nap, CH. I kid. Hope you and DD had a nice afternoon together.

No, bbg, not ready for the weekend, and still jealous of your BLT. Seems you’re doing quite well, good to see.

Jemma, please, please, please, take care of you and your son above all else. So you said he could read your posts and he did. So what? That’s fine, you “com[ing] clean because he is making [you]” is not okay. We won’t judge you no matter what, but it should be your decision to tell us and no one else’s. I find that kind of implied coercion distasteful to say the least no matter the circumstance. Do what you need to do for you and your son, he must deal with his own situation.

AK, PR, immri and anyone else I missed, my apologies.

Much love to all.
Thank you Thirteenth! It is so good to see you here. I love that you never give up and don't quit fighting. You WILL get this!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Jem- stay safe.
Thanks for all the positive words. Being thankful yes... I am thankful for not having other people's pubes in MY shower.
At a more meaningful level- I slept 8 hours last night. 1234 Sunday now. Still stayed up 'till 0300. That is because I could not ever sleep. So the old burnt, broken 'bod is finding a new balance. Normal default me tells me to just go with the flow on this one and have patience. Living like a normal people person and having non survival brain thoughts will take time.
Usually it is the peak of summer here in S/Aust. Fire season, 40C + heat. This often carries over until mid march, for late grape harvests 9used to do that). Today it is19C, mild wind and rain. Strange days indeed.
Well my life until 2 days ago had very set out goals.
Life- living, health and burns.
Divorce- get through mediation for settlement
Safe housing
Life with sobriety
My sons.

Health and housing okay.
Divorce - all agreed on. The ex does not contact me at all. Let her know of new digs. Brief 1 liner about the feedback of professionals saying I am doing very well- to assure her no probs in contacting me if needed, as I am not the person she knew. THAT was based, in part from youse guys feed-b (thanks). No reply- sad, but not unexpected.
Sons-well I assured oldest in pre xmas email I would no longer contact him. That holds true, respect and space. Still think about them both a lot. (sigh) Oh well cannot wait- life goes on.
Sober life- I work on that all the time. There is more to life than SR. So chasing up more art stuff- not just painting, but the social aspect. Plus doing stuff for a government supported depression/mental health resource (Beyond Blue), have just put my name up for a national advisory group for stuff they are developing. I take to stuff like that as a duck to water. Also starting up a mini garden. And plunging back into writing- as opposed to journaling, that is a tool. Writing is a struggling joy (like art).
BUT will still go back to loony central for art classes and gym. WHY? An art tutor in the private sector is costly- as is a personal trainer. I am still in active recovery- with expectations on me for counselling and action.
I AM LUCKY - to have this opportunity to get this right. After all I lost my life, health, wife, sons, house, career, possessions and any access to anything I worked for or owned after 30 years of marriage.
A very clean slate. What has one got to lose- when one has nothing?
That is the biggie for this year. To keep pushing (which I am).
So we all march on marchites.
Through struggle, adversity, pain and fear- I have come to reach one definable truth.

'There are no one's pubes in my shower'.

That could be a sub-thread.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samantha14 View Post
Good morning!!

On my way to work and it seems a little lighter out already...perhaps Spring really is on the way!! I say bring it on Mother Nature...bring it on!!

Thirteenth - you are never wasting anyone's time. Glad you're here and glad you're still fighting. We can never give up - this disease is ugly and cruel...you (we) deserve much more from life than to constantly be running on the hamster wheel that is alcoholism. There are plenty of days that I feel like I am simply putting one foot in front of the other (or faking it til I make it) but Dee is right,although it's not ideal it's better than the alternative. The list he talks about is not one I want my name or anyone's name here added to. Love you.

PJ - your post reminded me to not take anything for granted and to celebrate all the "little" things....it also grossed me out a little (pubic hairs in the soap) - enjoy your man space.

Well off to be a grown up....I suggest you don't do it...it's overrated.
Sam....I just need to say how amazing you sound! So strong. So happy. I am so proud of you and all the hard work you are doing. You truly inspire me!!! xo