Notices

Class of February 2016 Part 22

Old 01-09-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Just got done reading The Naked Mind. Feels good to read it after being sober so long. All makes complete sense. Not sure about the Pink Cloud analogy. I think my energy levels are finally back to normal! What a long road it has been. Still have 20 lbs to lose to get back to where I was 5 years ago. Stretching has turned into stretching and a light workout. Wow! Just a couple more weeks until February 2017 Februarians! Nice work! Give yourselves a pat on the back. Hope you get some sleep and feel better OT! Don't forget that being tired can make people more emotional. May be the tireness talking. Melatonin is a good help sometimes.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

PHRD, I'm reading the Amazon quotes on This Naked Mind right now. Does it advocate moderation or completely quitting, because the amazon write up seems to imply just drinking less, and as we know, that dog won't hunt. It's gotta be complete abstinence. Alcohol celibacy!

"Millions of people worry that drinking is affecting their health, yet are unwilling to seek change because of the misery and stigma associated with alcoholism and recovery. They fear drinking less will be boring, involving deprivation, difficulty and significant lifestyle changes."
Old 01-09-2017, 09:51 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Not much work to do at the moment. Feeling really chilled out, if not a little bored. Probably jinxed it and will receive a ton of deadlines now.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Coming up on it .... can you feel it, my fellow Fortians! Almost there....
ONE YEAR!

What a fantastic year it's been for all of us. We rock so effin' much.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Morning all-
The early bird meeting topic was fun, and being present in our lives. This makes perfect sense to me- everything is better sober and I am definitely saying "yes" to more things and experiences than I did during the last year of my drinking.

Looking forward to dinner with high school friends tonight. Really enjoy the opportunities I have (and create/find) to connect with people now.

Great days to all-
A
Old 01-11-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Yup. We are coming up on the birthday of our decision to quit. It might be fun to go back and see what we were saying at that time. I do have some fond memories of that time. Things like OOTT telling us little snippets like: "I took the garbage out sober for the first time..". Lord knows we were hurting badly though. There have been some minor setbacks but we are all tough and have persevered to continue the quit. We are so much better. We are sober this very Wednesday which is all that really matters - today.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

I don't remember when I joined the group but it wasn't in Feb when Inquit. Will have to look through my old posts and see when I actually started being involved in SR and with you fine people.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Badger07 View Post
Yup. We are coming up on the birthday of our decision to quit. It might be fun to go back and see what we were saying at that time. I do have some fond memories of that time. Things like OOTT telling us little snippets like: "I took the garbage out sober for the first time..". Lord knows we were hurting badly though. There have been some minor setbacks but we are all tough and have persevered to continue the quit. We are so much better. We are sober this very Wednesday which is all that really matters - today.
I had some funny stuff, all based on reality. The part about staggering down the driveway at 2 a.m. drunk dragging the recycling bin filled with empties,...true story.
My favorite was my imagined neighborhood monthly newsletter:

NEIGHBORHOOD SHOCKER!!!!

Drunk Bachelor on Maple Drive Mows Lawn, WHILE SOBER AND FULLY DRESSED.

Rumored to be in recovery.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I don't remember when I joined the group but it wasn't in Feb when Inquit. Will have to look through my old posts and see when I actually started being involved in SR and with you fine people.
Well I'm sorry but you are one of us Febs now. No going back.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Yeah August. . . one of us. . .one of us . . . one of us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1q2F_18cjg
Old 01-11-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Ha thanks guys- I quit drinking in Feb (22) I just didn't join y'all then. Totally in now, fa sho

Had dinner with Cliff and two high school friends. It was fun for a lot of reasons but the best part was when he called me after he dropped me off to tell me how proud he was of the way I handled sharing my story of getting sober; how strong I sounded, and how I just expressed myself with enough self-deprecation and plenty of positivity (this wasn't a reunion of best friends so I certainly didn't go to the depths- just one of the girls knew enough about my journey already)....I can't explain how proud it made me to hear him say that. It is exactly what I would hope to convey any time I do share - and I felt really comfortable doing it- it just came naturally.

Very cool.

And in other news.....we are expecting 60s and 70s this weekend and guess who's working a patio shift tomorrow? Atlanta is nutty, as always

Take care all- sleep tight
A
Old 01-11-2017, 07:08 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Very cool, Aug. That's fantastic you can tell them what you've accomplished. We have every right to be very proud. We're survivors. We're rock stars. I genuinely believe that after going through hell, we're actually better off than normal drinkers. I'm glad that alcohol is out of my life completely.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Patio shift in January...that's amazing, Augus. Not here... on the left coast we got hammered with snow two days ago.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:37 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

We had a pathetic flurry of snow over here which quickly turned into rain. English winter is truly magical.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:46 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,
Hope everybody is doing well. I wish I could tell you guys all the pros and cons lists I have been doing about going back to school. Badger--you got me thinking with the tangibles and intangibles, which of course, I have thought of a million times, but to see it in screenprint made it wide awake again.

Just so many tough decisions when you finally have your head on straight.

But I am 100% in my sobriety. It's only about that because before I would have always taken the 100% safe route, which is stay doing what I'm doing. But I just don't know that I can.....I have to feel professionally challenged or I am not happy. I cannot derive ALL of my happiness outside of work, and I wish I could...

Happy Friday everyone!
Lee
Old 01-13-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Morning all! Back from a work meeting, trying to decompress. Yesterday it rained soo hard, I ran around in it and was soaked through my clothes. Pure happiness. Then I went to yoga and murdered my SI joint on a block (Good thing, right Badge?) It's one of those injuries that you need to hurt more to feel good.

I've been inspired by you Lee and OT to take a class. It's hard to find an adult night class, kind of weird. Soo I'm thinking of one of those online language courses.

Aug, yeah wasn't it just last week Atlanta was freezing? Is the patio shift what you prefer?

OOTT my dream is to move to the NW, so beautiful, wanna trade
Old 01-13-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Go for it Penny! Duolingo is free if you wanted to check that out.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Good evening all. Checking in. All is quiet it appears.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:22 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

very quiet, shhhh.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:12 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Morning guys (yea, at 3am EST....wth)

Penny- I love the patio in warm/hot weather, even in the sunny but cool. Busy, sweaty, you have to run up and downstairs to the kitchen....it is not so fun when we open it because we know SOME people (unknown amount) will want it.....and we end up killing time because there are three or four of us with a table apiece. It's hit or miss but our rule is that the patio is never closed so....

Enjoyed dinner with a friend of many years last night- she has seen much of my journey, and it was the first time we've seen each other since I quit. Good stuff.

This has been- and will be through tomorrow- a week of great social stuff. Dinner with high school friends (and Cliff), dinner with a good grown up life friend, date night tonight, brunch with his parents tomorrow....just about the right amount of socializing for a week to make it full but not overwhelming. Still gotta get a handle on sleep- esp the timing of it, obv.

And....I am within a couple of days of making serious sugar adjustments.....if I cut back or mostly out NOW then by my one year mark (39 days!!) then I bet I will like my tummy better, feel better, maybe have the sleep helped some.....hmmm....sounds a little familiar if not life-threatening....

Happy Sat all-
til a normal human hour-
A