View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

Hey guys,
OK, first thanks for all the well wishes, they worked!

The short version: I am better than fine, pain free, not crippled, in fact have to rein myself in. It is like the initial sobriety pink cloud of happiness and energy. For the full story read on.

I was prescribed Percocet 5mg and after I saw what was in it I was determined not to use it. I filled the script but was willing to endure a lot of pain. I don't need any pain meds!!!

I have not taken a one, and the weird red seal they put on the bottle is still in place.

I got ready for the two days before I flew here to Tampa on the 8th to settle into my suite for my last pre-op tests on Wednesday the 9th, for the cervical surgery on the 10th. My buddy from another forum, who I have known online for 16 years but never met, lives 60 miles from here, and he drove in to stay with me as my care partner for the surgery. The care partner is usually the spousal unit, but mine needs to take care of her dad. I am quite capable of operating on my own, but spinal surgery can go wrong in the best of places and facilities and docs.

I met my doc and he was impressive. 40ish, fit Hungarian who emigrated here and lives the American dream as a very respected neurosurgeon, and one of the most thorough. He walks fast and is super high energy, obviously works out and is so professional but friendly. He is interested in his patients and really has a conversation about mutual interests. (He skies and scuba dives too)

If anyone needs spinal surgery, I will pass along my experience. But do not expect the same results as it is different for each person. I expected great things and if they were half as good as I'd hoped it would be good enough. They exceeded my highest hopes!

I walked away from the wheelchair they made me ride downstairs to the shuttle back to the hotel. No pain save what you would have after a deep cut was treated, stitched and you were comfortable again. Not no pain, but no more than a cut you forget about until you stress it without thinking. Yes if I twist around while carrying my 5 pound case with my tablets and chargers I could hurt it. But I walk fast as was normal before my back problems, my original pain appears to be gone as is the numbness I had in the upper back and arms. They said many get the same results but not all. I saw one guy that looked like he was in severe pain with the same surgery the day before I had mine.

I thought I was nuts having both lumbar and cervical surgery at the same time. I do not need hardware in either place, just the nerve routes lasered out and the spurs, if any, removed that press them. He said based on my body's response to the first usually more painful surgery, that with no promises, I should do as well or better with the lumbar roto rootering of my nerves pathways. While my cervical problems were causing less debilitation than the lumbar issues, he said that it was worse than I thought but could live with. But he told me my lumbar was a mess and needed it immediately so he was glad I scheduled both and so am I. I should be pain and numbness free after it next week on Tuesday the 15th.

My problem will be reeling myself in and not forgetting I have deep wounds healing even though I cannot feel pain unless I overdo it. The prognosis is I can take off my soft neck brace in a couple of weeks and be able to lift reasonable weights in four to six weeks. And ride my lawnmowers for the leaf fall in about three weeks after the lumbar surgery.

No I do not want to see what the high from a single Percocet is like as I got high on drugs when a teen in the 60s and alcohol after I was in the military and no drugs. I already know what high is like. It is like living with no care, which include love, achievement, and really being alive.

Drinking was like that even though I did not get tipsy just sipped about two beers an hour when I last retired as a beverage starting at noon, and sipping until bedtime at midnight, just like Saturdays because every day is Saturday for me. Then it was three an hour for the gentle buzz, and the shakes in the morning started, physical addiction!!!!! About a year and a half later I checked into the VA for a 7 day in hospital detox and never looked back. Even quit a three ;ack a habit smoking habit at the same time. Why waste a perfectly good detox on only one of the three substances I was addicted to? I have never looked back on smoking either. Until someone finds a really bad health negative to coffee, 2 12 cup pots a day, I am sticking with my beloved caffeine. It is healthy according to most research on it save for those with weak hearts.

So I am fine, the surgery was a success to put it mildly, and I look forward to the next one and the pain relief it will bring. I am finding bending down now to type for more than a few minutes is making my neck feel like I have a crick in it. Mild but I do need to keep it straight for a few weeks. I straightened up and the crick feeling stopped. An example of being mindful of my physical recovery limitations to make it the least recovery time and not be patient with myself until I reach each stage for the next few weeks, and then just take it easy while I work for about six months which is the release point where I can stand whatever my pre surgery, pre disability body could.

Welcome DG and the other drop ins.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. Next stop is lumbar surgery next Tuesday, then a flight home on Thursday the 17th.

Instead of hobbling through an uncertain recovery in pain, I now see the light at the end of the tunnel, and in this case it is an exciting fast tunnel!

Life is good.