Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 08-11-2016, 07:59 AM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Thanks all! So excited to be here. And Elle and Applekat, here's the information on the book that changed my life.

This Naked Mind

After five years of trying, I literally quit over night. AND it's amazingly pleasurable to do so!

Made me complete rethink alcohol.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Thanks Pocket. I'm actually going to let myself buy a new book on my kindle today. I'll check that one out.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:50 AM
  # 363 (permalink)  

Good Evening all!

Day 3 ending. Went out with a friend. She got a beer, I didn't. Not even tempted. I don't recognize this person!! But TBH it isn't the public drinking, it is the solo drinking that trips me up. Open a bottle, finish it, look for more. Sleep very badly, wake up and wonder why did I do that, again??

Interesting that loneliness and drinking has come up again. It's nice to know it's not just me that goes through that. But we can stick together and encourage each other to stay dry!

My first goal is to get to 10 days without any alcohol. That will be a first for me!

Goodnight all! Enjoy whats left of the day and evening!
Old 08-11-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Good job Northern! But I agree - I can hold myself together mostly in public. Then I celebrate that accomplishment with a glass (bottle?) of wine. NEVER AGAIN!
Old 08-11-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
Day 18! I'm so proud of myself. Looked in mirror this morning and I'm liking what I see.
That's awesome Midnight! Isn't that a wonderful feeling? Congrats on 18 days!
Old 08-11-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Welcome Trees39, Applekat, noneever, and pocketpanda! We have a great group here for August! Keep reading and posting, it has helped me tremendously, and I am now on day 11. Doesn't seem like a long time, but for me it is. This is the longest I have gone in at least the last year and a half.

I just downloaded a journal app for my phone that I'm excited to start using. I'm also doing some reading and keeping myself busy with productive tasks. I look forward to the fall season, it is my favorite time of year!

Stay strong August group!
Old 08-11-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
Checking in after a busy day of doing tons of stuff for everyone else in my family...but I did not drink!
Welcome to none ever, pocket panda, applekat..(I remember you from previous classes)...glad u are here!!

Capricallua...sounds like u have a great plan for your alone time..awesome!
Midnight..congrats on day 18 and so happy you feel good in the mirror!!!!
Gretel ...congrats on day 11and better sleep is always a plus!

Northern lass...I was such a solo drinker!!! I stopped drinking public ally 11years ago. I stayed sober for almost 7and have struggling since. I have gone 11 months since last august but never drink outside of my lonely basement when my family is noit home...GROSS!! I always start with 1 bottle thinking it will be enough...NOT!

Bronzie...congrats on day 11!

Wishing you all a great evening...stay strong and sober xo
Old 08-11-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

Lovehoops, you are awesome a total inspiration. Elle
Old 08-11-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Btw pocket have ordered the book you recommended. Thank you for helping me to stay sober today. Elle x
Old 08-11-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

I hate being an alcoholic today, I want to be normal, I want to rewrite the
Last 20 yrs of my life but I can't. Dipping right now. I hate being an alcoholic, I hate being told I am insane I hate it right now. Just want to be
Normal
Old 08-11-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Do something nice for yourself tonight Elle!! Hang in there.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Elle, are you having cravings or thinking of drinking?

I know sometimes it's hard to look back on all the time lost...but try to think how much better it will be staying sober, and all the new memories we can make. And I also hate being an alcoholic and having an addictive personality. Having to worry about alcohol and what it brings all the time is no fun, but I do believe it will get easier with time.

You are not insane, none of us are..we just have a problem that some other people don't..and we are all here learning how to handle it, recover from it, and thrive without it. *hugs*
Old 08-11-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Elle..I hate being an alcoholic too but I try to focus on how good I feel...physically and emotionLLY. I hate the headaches, the stomach aches, the shakes and the sweats...I hate not remembering where I left things or what I said or people.I hate how my kids look at me in disgust when I'm drunk and how I have to beg for their forgiveness.
That usually pulls me through when I try to visualize drinking "normally" ..bc I knows I can't. It NEVER ends well. Play the tape to the end.

Stay strong, we are here for you..hugs
Old 08-11-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!
2 weeks tomorrow.
Be well, all.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Lunar

welcome to Trees, noneever, applekat & pocketpanda

Elle, none of us can re-do the last 20 years...but we can do the next 20 years right - I've accomplished a *lot* since getting sober

D
Old 08-11-2016, 04:07 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

You are not insane Elle. I would give anything to go back 20years, believe me though drinking isn't the only thing I would give myself a slap or warn myself about. We can't though, all we can focus on is the present, this moment and that is what shapes our future. Every single person on this planet has regrets, it's how we learn from them that matters. Don't get sucked down by that sort of thinking please.

Yep I hate being an alcoholic too but it's a fact I can't change now by wishing I wasn't. You can beat this! Pep talk over

If all else fails try and get some sleep, think you're in the UK like me? Hopefully things will look brighter in the morning. Stay strong.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elle126 View Post
I hate being an alcoholic today, I want to be normal, I want to rewrite the
Last 20 yrs of my life but I can't. Dipping right now. I hate being an alcoholic, I hate being told I am insane I hate it right now. Just want to be
Normal
I understand exactly how you feel. I want so many things in life, so many things that have taken a back seat to drinking. I constantly try to be "normal" thinking I can have/do those things AND drink. Over and over again I have sabotaged those things because I CAN'T have both.

But what is "normal" anyway? We have to make good sober memories and create our new normal. It will come, hang in there with me
Old 08-11-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

Goodnight August.

I am SO thankful to be headed to bed sober!
Old 08-11-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

I just wanted to give a shout out to August. I've got 37 days, but it never hurts to be part of a couple of groups.

It's great that you are all here, and, you can do it!

I had an epic fail in my efforts to help a friend today. I was down on myself. My buddy texted:

"Nothing worth doing is easy"
Old 08-11-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Tomorrow will be one week sober for me. On one hand, I'm very proud of myself. On the other, I have a long way to go.
I am still struggling with the repercussions of my drinking. Both in my drunk actions and sober lies to cover them up. I am focusing on being truthful, to try to right my wrongs through actions. However, it is devastating to see the hurt I have caused the person I love the most. I hope that she can begin to trust me again, and let me back in to her heart. I really desire that support right now, but I know I don't deserve it.