Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 07-30-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Welcome Everyone!

this is the support thread for everyone who wants to quit drugs, alcohol or any kind of addiction this month of

August 2016

come and join us!

last July thread is here
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-3-a-7.html

D

Last edited by Dee74; 07-30-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Old 07-31-2016, 02:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Hello folks
I'm am early bird August 2016er - day 5 for me this (and my last) move towards sobriety. Determined to succeed this time and hopefully by supporting each other we can grow together. I'm on that rollercoaster between feeling positive and optimistic one minute then down on the pits of despair and wanting a drink the next. But this will pass - I've been there before and can do it again
Old 07-31-2016, 02:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Hendrix

D
Old 07-31-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Hi everyone! My sober date is actually June 29th, but I was in rehab for the month of July and wasn't able to join a group. Would anyone mind if I joined you here?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Hello earthsteps, welcome mate and congratulations for getting here - I've not joined a class before so I'm a new boy too.
How are you doing today?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

I'm in for new start --August 2016.
Old 07-31-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Hello earthsteps, welcome mate and congratulations for getting here - I've not joined a class before so I'm a new boy too.
How are you doing today?
Hey there Hendrix! I feel good. I have been reading all day (off from work until 8/15). Meeting tonight. How about you?
Old 07-31-2016, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Crawling out of a bit of a low to say the least - my last relapse after 18 months of sobriety ended up in a week long bender that happened at lightning speed. No more though - I learned so much and am formulating a plan to recognise the early warning signs and make sure it doesn't happen again.
Went for a lovely walk outside this afternoon and feel more positive than I have in a long time.
Glad you're feeling good.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
I'm in for new start --August 2016.
Hello Midnight Rider - hope you're well - welcome to the class 😊
Old 07-31-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome/welcome back to all joining the August class!! SR is an incredibly supportive community, and joining a class with people who are in the same point of their sobriety journey is incredibly helpful!

Glad you are all here!!!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Midnight Rider and Earthsteps - this class will start to fill a little more from here on in I think

thanks for the support Delilah!

D
Old 07-31-2016, 07:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey All,
I'm joining this class as I'm on day 2 again after a short relapse. I'm finding it hard dealing with the rollercoaster of emotions as well.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome sweetichick
D
Old 07-31-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi August Folks!! Welcome to all the people to come. Day 26 here, dawning on 27. All I can say is don't drink. Everything will get better. You obviously don't want things to stay the same. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Back to Day 2 for me after an extended experiment with "moderation." For the last several months I've drunk daily -- not heavily, but consistently (this has been my habit since about age 22). I'm turning 40 in a couple of months and want to have re-established healthy behaviors by then, and for good. It'd be nice to shed some of this wine belly, too. 😳

Let's do this!
Old 07-31-2016, 10:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone

Joining here in hopes that the forum can help me in between meetings these first couple of weeks —*or perhaps longer

Long story short — I went out with 2.5 years in January. My DOC is oxycodone and I've been on about a six week run. I'm definitely in for some nasty withdrawals and have been trying to detox the last few weeks. I've got two more weeks off work and am determined to get it together here.

It took me over five years to get that 2.5 years, so to say the least, I've got more newcomer and 30 day chips then I care to admit. Normally, I can surrender when I'm done with a run and don't find myself going completely insane the first couple of days which are always the hardest for me.

This time around it has been extremely difficult for me. I'm embarrassed to say this, but I've left three detoxes in the last two weeks. I freaked out every time because I simply couldn't handle being "contained" and ended up getting very anxious.

That said — I'm determined for tonight to be my last night and really give all of myself to recovery starting tomorrow. Can anyone relate to waking up in the morning and not even wanting to look at yourself in the mirror? And time seems to pass BEYOND slow the first day. At times a minute seems to feel like an hour to me.

I will be going to a noon meeting tomorrow which will get me through to 1pm —*but I'm scared as hell as to what I'll do between then and the evening meeting I normally go to. I've tried the route of just locking myself in my apartment, taking detox meds (got Librium rx'd from the doctor for the first few days), and just staying in bed and watching Netflix. Problem is I've found this makes me feel more depressed and anxious as I feel so isolated and "vampire like" staying inside during the day and not participating with the outside world.

Does anyone have any suggestions here? I'll definitely post tomorrow morning and check in — and am also going to start my own thread.

Good to meet you all!
Old 07-31-2016, 10:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard bayguy

I vividly remember the days of drinking, vowing to quit and drinking again. It is hard to get traction.

Altho watching TV is easy I found it better to get up and get doing things - I wasn't capable of much, but even a bit of cleaning up helped me feel better.

Going to a meeting sounds good too

I also spent a lot of time on here, not only posting but reading as well,and posting to others.

Before I knew it I had a few days under my belt again

If I could do it, you can too

D
Old 07-31-2016, 10:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome sanguinity

D
Old 08-01-2016, 03:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Can I join the class please? 1st August is my new Day 1. It's 12 hours since my last drink now and I'm feeling pretty horrid...