Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 08-08-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Administrator

do you have a regular doctor or counsellor for when you're feeling low letsdance?

D
Old 08-08-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that letsdance, please be kind to yourself. Alcohol is a depressant too which probably isn't helping. It's done now, the only way we can move is forward. Was there any particular trigger for you this time? Do you have any RL support at the moment for your drinking or mental health?

What's the book called? I have a fair few recovery books I read last year, never really one for the blogs but know some people really like them.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
do you have a regular doctor or counsellor for when you're feeling low letsdance?

D
Thanks for asking. Yes i do have a wonderful psych doc. The problem is me. I don't take his advice like i should.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:09 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, I had to learn I was worth taking care of...it still doesn't always come easy but I'm a lot better these days.

Why not give them a call or make an appointment?

D
Old 08-08-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Hi letsdance, sorry you are feeling so low. Is there any upbeat music you could listen to? A funny movie? Could you eat a big bowl of ice cream? I know these are temporary feel goods, but maybe a good distraction for awhile? Please stay with us as you get through this low. I like Dee's suggestion to make an appointment with your Dr.
Take care of yourself.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

I ate a bunch of pizza tonight! Made me feel a bit better. Lol. Not the best coping mechanism but oh well. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

I know how it feels to be around family and drinking. My family is pretty big at drinking and although they know I struggle I don't think they know to what extent and they don't really hold back if I am around. I've had to distance myself until I feel stronger. 5 weeks in and I still don't feel ready lol. I turned down a yearly family get away that is supposed to happen on Thursday. I was so worried I would disappoint them but we have to take care of ourselves first! My family is supportive but they don't know how to help. I feel guilty for not being able to be around them as much but it's to much of a trigger and maybe I still feel some shame. So anyways, I get about the family part. Everyone keep your head up!
Old 08-08-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovehoops View Post
Hi bronze...I was in July group as well and on day 2 here in August!! Welcome letsdance...keep posting..SR is great support. We can do this together!!
Hi Lovehoops, I remember you from the July group. Glad to see you here! I'm on day 8 now. Let's do this!
Old 08-08-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hammers View Post
Hi, Last time I drank was August 5th. Roll on day four. Waking up feeling reasonably ok and not hungover!! Good luck and courage to everyone!!! Nicholas..
Congrats on 4 days Hammers! Keep up the good work!
Old 08-08-2016, 08:34 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kgirl41 View Post
Welcome Bronzie! Kudos on Day 8 and a weekend free of alcohol. I sure hope I am saying the same thing next Monday!
Thanks kgirl41, it feels great! I finally made it past the week mark! Keep going! We can do this!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Letsdance.... Get your hope back! You will do this.
Bronze. Congrats on a week!
Everyone else... Let's all do this.
For recurring relapses lets make this the last one.
There are a steady crew of downright kind souls on this site who check in and post kind words to those of us in the immediate struggle. My memory is not good on the fly but I think of: least, Hevyn, mountain man bob, dee, sober wolf and countless other good people who check in with us.... There are many.
I don't know their stories per se but know that their struggles were just as real and challenging as ours and they have moved past . They bring me great comfort. Lets try to get closer to there guys, it's doable.
Good night
jonathan
Old 08-08-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Letsdance - I completely agree with capricallia about alcohol being a depressant.
I struggled with anxiety and panic attacks for years and the subsequent depression that came with my inability to go a day without drinking.
This all disappeared after a sustained period of sobriety but came back all the more powerful when I relapsed!
I took booze to self medicate but in the end the medicine was destroying me in every possible way.
Stay close to this forum and when your addictive voice pipes up - just tell it you're going to log in here first
Old 08-08-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Morning all - and what a good morning it is
I woke up naturally at 6.30 am this morning on a lovely fresh summer morning. I'm on day 13 after my scary relapse back into daily all day drinking with all the horrors that were involved.
Not 2 weeks in to sobriety I feel refreshed after a night's sleep and looking forward to the day ahead.
Thanks to advice from the great people on this forum I have a plan and therefore the confidence that I can handle the times when things don't go my way and really enjoy the good times.
For those of you struggling like I was 2 weeks ago - hang on and be patient - do whatever it takes to not drink today and know that any perceived benefits of drinking are only a very temporary sticking plaster over all the pain and misery that booze created in the first place.
Have a great day folks
Old 08-08-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Day 8 yesterday went well. I had lunch with my Dad who is very glad I'm giving sobriety another go.

The highlight of the day was my local AA meeting in the evening. It was as full as I have ever seen it and there was a great feeling of power and support from the group. The sad news was that one of the old timers had died - not directly alcohol related but it must have been a factor.

Anyway, on with Day 9...
Old 08-08-2016, 11:53 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Well done on day 8 Forward. I'm feeling really low today..... Too frightened to leave the house in case I get booze
Old 08-08-2016, 11:58 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Today will be day 4 for me. I drank on Friday night. I am feeling motivated and happy to be a part of this class. I want this to be the last time! I'm tired of the insanity and lack of growth spiritually and in all other ways. No more drinking for this chick!
Old 08-09-2016, 12:31 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  
Recognising my AV

Originally Posted by Elle126 View Post
Well done on day 8 Forward. I'm feeling really low today..... Too frightened to leave the house in case I get booze
Morning Elle - sorry you're feeling low. It may help to keep your blood sugars up - try not to be hungry today. Could you treat yourself to some nice food. Something that helps me in the early days is to sip on glasses of cold orange juice and lemonade. It really helped me with reducing the cravings.
Just remember these low feelings will pass - all you have to do is not drink today.
Don't enter into any "should I shouldn't I" debates with yourself - just commit to not drinking today, eat what you want and sleep when you need to if you can
Old 08-09-2016, 01:16 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Thank you Hendrix just followed your advice and went out to get some breakfast. Phoned my sponsor and told her where I was at and of course the key advice was acceptance... Just as good times pass so do bad times and it's a matter of being able to stay in this space and not try to anaesthetise the feelings with alcohol. So will go to a meeting later and have arranged to go to the cinema tonight with a friend. Thank you again Elle.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:23 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Hello, it's me, again. Trying to stop drinking, again. I joined June 2016, made one post in July and now it's August. Have I stopped drinking? No. Congrats to all those who have managed to stay sober during the summer. I'm on day 1, again.

I read Hendrix's comment : "Blocking the feelings out with drink and drugs will seem to help in the short term but will only pile on the problems.
I was drinking to self medicate many years of anxiety, stress and panic attacks that I thought were due to bereavements - it was only when I stopped drinking for 18 months did I realise that booze was now causing these feelings. "

It's so true. I drink to relax/ because I am lonely/ out of habit. But recently I have noticed I am more anxious and unhappy and it's not lifting. I drink to try blot all these feelings out. I am not going to drink today. I will be productive and try and find joy from doing positive things and not drinking.

Thanks for listening. It's been very helpful for me to write it down and say publically, I drink to mask feelings of unhappiness. Next step, how to overcome it.

Have a good day!
Old 08-09-2016, 01:28 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Hi northern lass, so good to see you here, never give up giving up, just keep coming back. Yesterday is gone now and today you can plow on with renewed strength of purpose! Well done. Elle