Notices

Class of August 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 08-06-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by Pinky1 View Post
I was on day 5 feeling a lot better in ages. The withdrawals were getting better less sweating shaking etc. Started to feel better in myself generally then went out with hubby as lovely evening had a glass of wine came home and drank another bottle (he dont know ) having a large vodka in bed (got in spare room ) I am going to feel crap again in the morning. I dont want to do this no more but it's so hard to stop. I'm on meds for anxiety and shouldn't really drink. It's getting out of control
Pinky how were you feeling when you first went to dinner?
Old 08-06-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Cravings but felt good in general after a couple of days booze free. I worked so hard all week to be sober. Been here so many times the withdrawals are vile and said to myself this is the last time but I have let me and my family down again.😔
Old 08-06-2016, 04:08 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Cravings but felt good in general after a couple of days booze free. I worked so hard all week to be sober. Been here so many times the withdrawals are vile and said to myself this is the last time but I have let me and my family down again.😔
Was ordering the wine a habit or did you just do it without thinking?
Old 08-06-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
Let me ask you a question. What exactly do you miss about drinking that makes you struggle? Did you have a routine/ritual surrounding it? Like taking your first drink in a hot bath with candles. Or is it the taste? Is it the buzzed feeling? Or is getting drunk? Is it blacking put so you can forget the day?

Maybe we can come up with a coping measure for the reason you miss it.
I miss the buzz and the intoxicated melt into my chair feeling. I think that if alcohol didn't have such a negative health impact I wouldn't feel terribly motivated to quit. It feels somehow wrong saying that but it's true, I love the feeling of intoxication but hangovers, anxiety and fears not so much.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

No I wanted it unfortunately and I hate myself for it
Old 08-06-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

No I wanted it unfortunately and I hate myself for it
I made the same decision this week. Back to Day 1 but more determined than ever. Today I started making one of those plans everyone here keeps talking about. Hang in there. We can do this.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Administrator

It;s normal for a while to miss the buzz and whatever else., We drank for years...it's worth pushing past the warm rosy glow of nostalgia tho and remembering our addiction for what it really was- hell....the shame the guilt, the illness, the lies, the cover ups...

If you're wobbling - do reach out here first...please.

there's always support here to help you shut down the AV and choose a different outcome

D
Old 08-06-2016, 07:32 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
Let me ask you a question. What exactly do you miss about drinking that makes you struggle? Did you have a routine/ritual surrounding it? Like taking your first drink in a hot bath with candles. Or is it the taste? Is it the buzzed feeling? Or is getting drunk? Is it blacking put so you can forget the day?

Maybe we can come up with a coping measure for the reason you miss it.
i'm not Mandy73...but what I miss about drinking is just feeling comfortably numb. I don't think I've ever really blacked out/passed out - just steadily drank the days away in a buzzed feeling.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

sometimes I wonder if - hey, i'm not so bad - because I can quit & not have any withdrawal symptoms/feelings
Old 08-06-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to think that too...then it was...hey how bad can I be when I it only takes a day to feel better...then it was 3 days...

Alcoholism is progressive...those times when you 'get away' with no hangover of withdrawal become less and less - and then disappear forever I'm afraid.

D
Old 08-06-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mandy73 View Post
I miss the buzz and the intoxicated melt into my chair feeling. I think that if alcohol didn't have such a negative health impact I wouldn't feel terribly motivated to quit. It feels somehow wrong saying that but it's true, I love the feeling of intoxication but hangovers, anxiety and fears not so much.
me too!! it's definitely the health impact.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by letsdance View Post
Bronzie, congrats on day 6. I am also having a lot of thoughts of drinking. It sucks! As for me i feel awful. What is up with me? Tell me it gets better. All i want to do is sleep. I thought at day 11 i would feel better than this. I know i need to wait but i dont like the way i feel. I start to feel like whats the point. If i cant feel good not drinking i might as well drink. Help me guys!
Thanks for responding Letsdance. My thoughts of drinking are verging on obsessive. I start planning in my head when/how/what I'm gonna drink tomorrow. Well, I haven't let those thoughts take control over my decisions. I just tell myself to get through today, and don't worry about tomorrow. I wanted to sleep a lot at first too and I still get tired throughout the day. Just rest if you can and let your body adjust. I have a 2 year old, so that's hard for me to do, but I'm hanging in there! Stay strong! Post here whenever you feel you need support. We all share the same goal and we're in this together!
Old 08-06-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

I almost came here and was about to lie. But damn i just cant. I drank a two shots of liquor tonight. I just felt so terrible. I am getting over the flu and i am sick of coughing and feeling like poop. I just said the heck with it. Had two shots, thats all and then got a terrible feeling about it and also had a tummy ache. So i told my husband i was done. I am glad i didn't just give in. I ate dinner and feel good now. But does this mean i am really at day 1 again? My husband says no. But i feel that is cheating. Man i feel bad about this. I worked hard to get to 11 days.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:52 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
Thanks for responding Letsdance. My thoughts of drinking are verging on obsessive. I start planning in my head when/how/what I'm gonna drink tomorrow. Well, I haven't let those thoughts take control over my decisions. I just tell myself to get through today, and don't worry about tomorrow. I wanted to sleep a lot at first too and I still get tired throughout the day. Just rest if you can and let your body adjust. I have a 2 year old, so that's hard for me to do, but I'm hanging in there! Stay strong! Post here whenever you feel you need support. We all share the same goal and we're in this together!
So far this time my thoughts have not been obsessive but i have been there! Like last time i quit for a little bit i was totally obsessing about drinking. Yes so hard to rest, I have a 7 yr old with adhd. Lord help me. lol. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:26 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi lets dance
If I drank again I'd reset my count.

It's not a punishment, it's more an honesty thing.

It doesn't mean you start again from scratch tho - you've accomplished and learned things - think of it more as recovery version 2.0

pick you self up, dust yourself off and move on - think about what you might add to your plan this time, in the new improved version
Old 08-06-2016, 11:40 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

I am going to make the journey.
My last day of feeling no effects other than "pure" life was Thursday this week.
Thinking of checking into a center, but not sure if it is needed.
Will update on Sunday.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:14 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Slipped last night

So what should have been day 10, is now day 1 for me again.

It started when I got talked in to drinking a single beer while out for an Indian meal. Then we went on to see a live band at a bar, and I drank another 2 beers and a shot of JD. Then off to a nightclub and I drank another 2 beers.

I'm pissed I slipped, but pleased I didn't go the full hog, 20+ beers until I blackout and do crazy stuff. I certainly wasn't drunk. Which when I start drinking is usually the intention.

It's a setback yes, but not a major disaster. It was informative in a way, showed me where the boundary is, and how to keep away from it in the future.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can take the good out of it and adjust your plan accordingly Mac.

While it is good you stopped at one, it's not good the AV got you.

It would love you to settle for that one as a future benchmark...after all nothing bad happened, right?

Insidious.

D
Old 08-07-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Oh Mac, am sorry to read that you slipped. Never forget this is a cunning and powerful illness. Are you on a programme? I know I would never be able to do this without the support I get from AA. Good to see you are being positive about the slip and jumping right back on the sobriety wagon. Elle
Old 08-07-2016, 12:32 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Like I said, I am not really very concerned. I know for a fact there will be times in my sobriety when I will have a minor slip now and then. As long as it doesn't end up with me getting falling down drunk, or waking up with an empty wallet days later, then I'm willing to accept those setbacks from time to time. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. The way I see it, if my efforts towards sobriety eliminates 99% of my drinking, I'm still yards ahead.