Class of April 2016 Part 7

Old 07-30-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this kittycat

D
Old 07-30-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hang in there Kittycat. You got this. I'm glad you checked in with us. Do you have an exit strategy if you need it?
Old 07-30-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

hugs kittycat!!
Old 07-30-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Winslow- I think being happy is the weirdest feeling for an alcoholic. the other day I felt really happy and it reminded me of how I felt at Christmas as a child. lol... And when I am sick and have a cold I always feel happy and I think it is because I remember getting a lot of attention from my mom when I was sick. It is so weird.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:41 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Morning Everyone!

My daughter appeared yesterday afternoon and miraculously started pulling cans of Stella out of her tiny "Girlie bag". It wasn't long before I was asked to go to the bottle shop and add to the collection.

There they sat, the two of them. My wife and daughter drinking away. It would be rude of me not to join in, so I played with the little ones and drank a Becks Blue. Then later in the afternoon the adults decided to take their party back to my daughters house and I was left home alone.

At this point I realised how empty my life has become. Bereft of things to do, drifting along like a rudderless ship at the mercy of someone elses wind. Usually I'd go with them, or decline and play online poker till the early hours listening to Spotify.

Instead I went to bed at 8pm and watched a movie "Alternate Realities" and I couldn't wait for it to end so I could go to sleep.

Now that I've got past the constant "thinking about drinking" stage where not drinking and a movie was a good enough time filler, now I need something more than this. I have to start filling my life with things to do rather than being around people drinking their time away. I need to take control of these situations so I'm not left wondering what to do with myself.

Not only does drink consume you as a person, affecting you mentally and gradually, pervasively taking over your thoughts, once you stop drinking there is a vast time void to be filled.

As drunks the only thing we plan for is our next drink. When we don't drink our life planning skills are left cruelly exposed.

Happy sober Sunday morning!

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by kopfan; 07-31-2016 at 02:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-31-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hi all. Good morning. Just saying hi. Have to leave house at 6:45 for my daughters last tourney game.
Kopfan, I can really identify with your post. More later just wanted to let you know that I relate and I think that's a big piece of this sobriety journey.

Hope everyone feeling strong this morning. bye!
Old 07-31-2016, 05:20 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope this doesn't appear ill-mannered.

I'm glad the way things ended up Kopfan...but this sentence leapt out at me because I threw myself under the booze bus time and again over this:

It would be rude of me not to join in, so I played with the little ones and drank a Becks Blue.
for me, it wasn't long before the beers were not non -alcoholic.

I think the greatest gift we can ourselves is self assurance.

When you reach the point where other people are drinking around you and, not only does it not matter, but you prefer not to, it's a whole other ballgame.

Like you alluded to above, you get control of the tiller back
D
Old 07-31-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Don't worry I know what you mean Dee. Previously I would have run out of the house and taken the dogs out or gone and sat in my office but I think I'm in control enough not to be bothered by their drinking.

I've reached that point where it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hey all,Kopfan I was reading your posts about getting back into life and I think that's something that bothers me, I feel like I'm just kinda hanging out and not drinking, however not really living either, I need some hobbies I think everyone says do what you liked before you started drinking but I was busy raising kids then so I never really focused on me,what do I like to do? Exercise, read,watch tv,go for rides around town, get coffee, go to eat but these are all activities that are solo,not really social but I dunno if that bothers me or not either, I just feel a mess,a user named Blueberry posted on another thread that "you can't microwave recovery,it takes time" I thought that was really cute and fitting for me,I want everything to be perfect NOW,it doesn't work like that I guess, just don't want to get stagnet in my sobriety and get that **** on this feeling, hope all are doing well today.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

HI everyone!!
I had a great day today. I was super busy...made breakfast, church, gym (I kicked butt), mowed (it was way overdue and super hard to push mow) , and then evening services. I am tired.

I don't really socialize that much either other then family, church, and gym classes. I do a lot of things by myself. I was reading a blog too and the lady said she realizes she is a loner and loves doing things by herself and she realizes that is what she really prefers. I think I am like that too. Sometimes after being around a lot of people it just wears me out. lol. I really like my alone time....watching what I want on tv, reading a book, going to the coffee shop by myself, movies by myself, shopping by myself. oh well. Just how it is.

Hobbies are a great thing to have too. I hope everyone finds whatever they need to feel fulfilled and content. / I probably should do some volunteering or something.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hi All,

Well it seems it is easy for me to go out from 5pm until midnight with a group of friends them all drinking, me on coke or lemon lime and bitters. I even was buying a round a beer and wine for them. I know that people may caution that if you are in that environment that it is risky. But I seriously have no desire to drink and my personality is such that I am pretty odd anyway. So I can of it in when they are tipsy! I have done this over the last month a few times and had great conversations. I was even approached by many men from our group hehe. Vanity is a big motivator for me, if I am honest. I like looking good, feeling good and getting attention. I own it. Hello to all the April Class. I spend about 4 hours a day on SR, reading, reviewing. I am exploring Co-dependency at the moment and mapping my life and relationships. It is very eye opening. I do believe that my drinking stemmed from upbringing, trauma, and co-dependency. knowledge is pretty empowering to get to the root and be the best version of myself I can be. I am kind of rambling now, so shall say goodbye
Old 07-31-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I am happy for you Ring.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Kitty- thinking about you!! I hope you are doing okay.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:03 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Morning Everyone!
Old 08-01-2016, 02:52 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Morning everyone. Just saying hi. Feels like a Monday, blah. But just one more work week until vacation! I'm craving sleep!!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Good morning!!

Suzie- yay! one more week and then you can get caught up on some rest hopefully.

I am going to finish mowing the yard this morning. I want my yard to look really good. I am going to spray the weeds too and try to get them under control.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Hey all, I'm with Suzie feels like a Monday blah,not trying to be negative, just can't get with it this morning, Ring,cool that you can hang out like that,I personally can't stay up until midnight anymore haha,Midwest, come do my yard when you're done with yours haha, mine is a mess but it's so hot out,here's to a GREAT August for us all!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Winslow- oh yeah it is August 1st! I can't believe it. this year has flown by.
I can't get moving this morning either...It rained last night so I am going to have to wait until this afternoon to mow and if another pop up shower comes it may be tomorrow. I am going to start cleaning house in a minute. If I lived closer I would help with your yard. haha. but if you seen mine you may not want me too.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Happy Monday all
Thanks for kind words of support on Saturday. I brought ginger beer to the party (it's not alcoholic , it's like root beer but ginger and drank that. Funny how little others drink! The hostess was carrying around a big glass of what I thought was wine but later mentioned it was just water with ice. Others I noticed were not drinking anything or maybe had one half glass of wine.....I definitely indulged in the ice cream later on!
Yesterday was a productive day and today I had first appt with new therapist. It feels good to be taking care of things.

I used to drink NA beer quite a bit but these days i don't, I just don't fancy the taste. And I don't mind being around some drinking but when people start getting tipsy and repeating themselves, I take it as my cue to exit. I try not to judge or criticize, but it's just not my scene anymore.
Xo
Old 08-01-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Kitty- I am going to have to try ginger beer.