Notices

On My Way #4

Old 12-12-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Because I'm a little anal and it's too late to edit I want to write that the stability ball chest presses were done with a dumbbell and not a kettlebell.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:14 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

I ran 5 miles earlier today.

Dinner tonight is going to be salmon burgers with a side salad.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I ran 5 miles earlier today.

Dinner tonight is going to be salmon burgers with a side salad.

, GC. Salmon is on our dinner menu tonight, also.

Enjoy.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
, GC. Salmon is on our dinner menu tonight, also.

Enjoy.
SL, enjoy your dinner also. How are you preparing yours?
Old 12-13-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Not sure; we are in 'using up the contents of the frig' mode so maybe a maple syrup/dry mustard glaze or a bean/corn salsa topping (never tried that one before and I'm a bit hesitant). We will be baking the filets in the oven.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 446 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Not sure; we are in 'using up the contents of the frig' mode so maybe a maple syrup/dry mustard glaze or a bean/corn salsa topping (never tried that one before and I'm a bit hesitant). We will be baking the filets in the oven.
Whichever you choose, enjoy!
Old 12-13-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  

Thanks, GC!!!!
Old 12-13-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 448 (permalink)  

GC and SoberLeigh, your dinners sound amazing! My husband is vegan, so I eat mostly vegan, too difficult to make multiple dinners.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Hi, Rainbowbird. Hi
Old 12-13-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Thank you RainbowBird for your kind words. For a number of years my daughter was a vegetarian, but a vegan diet is a whole other level.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:07 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

I should have included in an earlier post that last night's dinner turned out to be lightly seasoned pan seared shrimp that was served with a guacamole-esque sauce. It was well received. :-)

Musings:

Since my son was home for USA Thanksgiving it hasn't been too long since the four of us were around the dinner table, but I'll never stop loving it even if sometimes it can be a PIA to get a meal on the table that everyone will eat.

As The Who wrote, the kids are alright. My daughter has one week to go before her first semester of graduate school is over and so far has a 4.0 GPA. Between tutoring and babysitting she's generating decent cash for a full time student and recently asked me to help her invest some of it, a subject I know just a tiny weeny about. ;-) Seriously, I'm glad that she's beginning to understand the concept of compounding and how, given her age, investments made now can have a very large impact on her financial condition in the decades to come.

My son came home yesterday after finishing his next to last undergrad semester and he brought shame to our family because his GPA will only be somewhere between 3.7 and 3.8. He started a temporary job today that's paying him nice money and even with him taking a week off to visit his grandmother in Florida along with my daughter and the kid who will probably be my future SIL he'll make almost $5,000 before he goes back to school. Maybe I should make him pay his final semester's tuition.

I wrote in another thread that I had a conversation with some friends yesterday about running a marathon next April. It's not the profile of races I usually run, but I know it would be a fun weekend. Of course, the bigger question is do I want to run any marathon again, let alone this one and I'm not sure. Yeah, I want to experience the feeling of crossing the finish line, but I'm not sure I want to do the necessary training to ensure that race day will not be an intolerable outing. Physically, I'm feeling fine and I think my body can withstand the rigor of training, but I won't know that until I'm doing it. Decisions, decisions, but nothing I have to commit to right now. The conversation did, however, bring to the forefront the marathon concept, something that had been receding for a while.

Okay, I've rambled enough.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:03 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Kind of on my way. In the last 6 weeks I have given up putting salt on anything, replaced butter with nat. greek yog, no sugar, no white bread. Into snacks like carrot and peanut butter, w/m wraps with raw salad/veg, cheese and just a little ham-no dressing- g/y. Mid-n snacks- rye toast with g-y. B-fast- g/y and fruit. Lots more water. Reduced my smoking by 25%- yes I know - not b-4 xmas. BUT I WILL NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP MY RIGHT- FOR COFFEE!
I miss steak
Old 12-14-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Good stuff happening Phoenix! I read a few of your posts in another thread, I think it was Lexicat's squirrel one and I really got a chuckle from them. Very creative and funny!

I've walked a few miles already, but my main exercise of the day is going to happen tonight when I attend a strength and stamina class at the gym.

For the third time in four days dinner will involve some experimentation. Tonight's gamble is that I'm cooking a bone in turkey breast in my slow cooker. The side is going to be textured vegetable protein (TVP) that I can cook when I get back from the gym and carve the turkey breast.
Old 12-14-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
I should have included in an earlier post that last night's dinner turned out to be lightly seasoned pan seared shrimp that was served with a guacamole-esque sauce. It was well received. :-)

Musings:

Since my son was home for USA Thanksgiving it hasn't been too long since the four of us were around the dinner table, but I'll never stop loving it even if sometimes it can be a PIA to get a meal on the table that everyone will eat.

As The Who wrote, the kids are alright. My daughter has one week to go before her first semester of graduate school is over and so far has a 4.0 GPA. Between tutoring and babysitting she's generating decent cash for a full time student and recently asked me to help her invest some of it, a subject I know just a tiny weeny about. ;-) Seriously, I'm glad that she's beginning to understand the concept of compounding and how, given her age, investments made now can have a very large impact on her financial condition in the decades to come.

My son came home yesterday after finishing his next to last undergrad semester and he brought shame to our family because his GPA will only be somewhere between 3.7 and 3.8. He started a temporary job today that's paying him nice money and even with him taking a week off to visit his grandmother in Florida along with my daughter and the kid who will probably be my future SIL he'll make almost $5,000 before he goes back to school. Maybe I should make him pay his final semester's tuition.

I wrote in another thread that I had a conversation with some friends yesterday about running a marathon next April. It's not the profile of races I usually run, but I know it would be a fun weekend. Of course, the bigger question is do I want to run any marathon again, let alone this one and I'm not sure. Yeah, I want to experience the feeling of crossing the finish line, but I'm not sure I want to do the necessary training to ensure that race day will not be an intolerable outing. Physically, I'm feeling fine and I think my body can withstand the rigor of training, but I won't know that until I'm doing it. Decisions, decisions, but nothing I have to commit to right now. The conversation did, however, bring to the forefront the marathon concept, something that had been receding for a while.

Okay, I've rambled enough.

. Very good stuff, there, GC. Very happy for you.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  

Thanks SL.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Last night's class was three circuits of three sets of five different exercises. IOW, fifteen different ones with each set being fifty seconds on and then a twenty second rest while we transitioned to the next bit of fun. Various squats, deadlifts, planks, agility stuff, heavy rope fun, TRX rows, lunges, broad jumps. A good all around workout.

Today I'll be doing gripper work, planks, and pushups in my house.

Dinner tonight is going to be modeled on a classic NYC steakhouse dinner: Grilled rib eye steaks, baked potatoes, and creamed spinach.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  

I'm undecided about what my exercise will be today. Right now the temperature is 15F with a wind chill factor of 2F. I have the gear to run in this weather and would if I was training for something, but I may just do some home based exercises that will be augmented with a couple of hours of walking around NYC later today before going to dinner and a show with my wife, my kids, and my daughter's boyfriend.

No cooking for me tonight as alluded to above.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:20 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

We're leaving for NYC in a little while. Since it's so damn cold out we've decided to reduce our walking and go to a museum before dinner and the show.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good trip GC

D
Old 12-17-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee. It was a fun evening.

Today

Exercise for the day was functional: shoveling about 4 inches of snow.

Dinner tonight is going to be chicken quesadillas with a side of black beans.

Our wild after dinner plans include lighting a fire and listening to music.