Notices

On My Way #4

Old 10-22-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
It all sounds great, GC.

Enjoy.
Thanks SL. I hope you are in the midst of an enjoyable weekend.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  

'Twas a very full day yesterday and after dinner with our friends at a Thai restaurant where I had a delicious duck dinner we retired to their home for a couple more hours of hanging out in front of the first fireplace fire of the season.

Earlier this morning I ran 4 miles at a 9:25 pace. Via house chores I have some functional exercise ahead of me today, but there will also be sedentary time watching (American) football.

Dinner tonight is going to be the postponed fishcakes with a side salad.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Per my normal routine, the week got started with a session with my trainer.

Dinner tonight is going to be breaded and baked chicken leg quarters with a side of roasted Brussels sprouts.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

I finished a four mile run a short while ago. I purposely didn't take my GPS watch so I have no pace data, but I was probably close to my recent times. The route was relatively hilly, but what I lost on the uphills I made up on the downhills.

I have some cooking to do this afternoon for our guests tomorrow and I've been vacillating between making a meatloaf or linguini and clams for dinner tonight.

Before I start my cooking I'll be taking my dog on a 3 mile walk; as I type she's right by my side and we're playing fetch with an annoying (to me) squeaky toy. Keeping with the pet theme, I'm so happy that Least was able to find his beloved dog Jack; even while I was on vacation and not online I thought about that situation often.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Cooking pallooza is in progress. Boneless turkey breast and eye round are on my grill, potato leek soup is almost done, and in a short while I'll be making tonight's meatloaf as well as the sun dried tomato pesto for tomorrow. The linguini and clam dish will have to wait for another day.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:03 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

Although my triceps are still fried from Monday's workout I had a decent experience at the gym this morning.

With the exception of letting the internal temperature of the eye round go about 5F higher than my target temperature all the cooking went according to plan yesterday. Now it's just a matter of slicing the meats, assembling the sandwiches, and heating up the soup. As was discussed yesterday, since my guests may not be too hungry I'm going to be conservative with the amount of sandwiches I originally make and, if need be, make more.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Lots of fun last night with our guests.

Breakfast this morning was bagels and the last of my most recent batch of lox. I'll be making chicken thighs tonight with a grain and a too be determined veggie.

It's 37F and raining, not exactly ideal running weather, but I went out anyway and once I got going it really wasn't too bad.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Scrambled eggs, toasted English muffins, fresh pineapple, orange juice and coffee/tea was what I served for breakfast this morning. I was planning on making shrimp as the protein portion of tonight's dinner, but found out this morning that one of my guests doesn't like shrimp. His parents told me to just go ahead with my original plan and their son would eat enough of the side dishes to satisfy his hunger. That's not really sitting right with me so my current thought is to make the shrimp along with another protein, such as beef, that I know he'll like. The sides are going to be a fresh mozzarella, tomato, and basil salad as well as tri color quinoa. My daughter's boyfriend will be with us for the weekend so they'll be seven around the table tonight.

Regarding exercise, I'm going to make today an "active recovery day", which is an odd sounding term yet I think is accurate. My plan is limit myself to some stretching and walking. Tomorrow morning I'll be at the gym before 8 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

You are a fine host and man, GC.

Enjoy your dinner and guests.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

Thanks SL. Even though I have not seen my former roommate in over 21 years and have never met his wife or son, it's been wonderful spending time with them; they've been very gracious guests. They're leaving tomorrow to spend some time in Boston and do some other travelling, but will be with us for next Thursday and Friday nights before they fly home Saturday evening.

Regarding the food dilemma with their son I've decided to make a meat sauce and serve it over spaghetti, which I know he likes.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Administrator

enjoy your weekends GC and Leigh

D
Old 10-29-2016, 07:55 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.

Today

The day got off to an earlier than usual start because my strength and stamina class started a hour early. It was a high intensity workout that involved a lot of squats and derivatives thereof. The reason for the time change was the gym was holding a Breast Cancer Awareness fundraiser in the form of a pushup challenge between the trainers; their goal (aside from raising money) was to do as many strict pushups as they could in one minute. My trainer did 100. And then another 5. Just because. And he didn't look tired or winded afterward.

Our houseguests left this morning and will return on Thursday.

My wife and I have no social plans so we may just lay low this evening. I'm not sure what our dinner plans are, but there's enough leftovers for us to have a varied and tasty meal.

Have a great day!
Old 10-29-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 353 (permalink)  

This afternoon I took a 4 mile walk with my wife and dog. Tonight, the leftovers will have to wait, but will not go to waste. I've decided to grill some rib eye steaks, bake a couple of russet potatoes, and serve a side salad for dinner for me and my wife.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  

I went for a 3 mile run and then walked with my dog for another 3 miles. We still have a short walk ahead of us.

Dinner tonight is going to be roasted pork tenderloin with a spring mix salad.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Normally Mondays are a lifting day, but due to a one time scheduling conflict I'll be running in a short while and lift tomorrow.

No cooking here for a couple of days. With today being Halloween we won't be formally sitting down for dinner, but will dine on reheated leftovers in between rings of the door bell.

Tomorrow is dear daughter's b'day and our family tradition since both kids were very little is that the birthday person gets to pick a restaurant of their choice. DD chose a fairly new one in town that both she and my wife have been to and has been getting consistently high praises by restaurant reviewers from papers such as the NY Times and everyone I know who has eaten there.

Have a great day!
Old 11-01-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

As mentioned in my previous post we're going out for dinner tonight.

For exercise today I met with my trainer.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

I went for a 3 mile run yesterday and dinner was composed of leftovers.

Earlier today I was a the gym for a mainly upper body and core workout.

Dinner tonight is going to be St. Louis ribs, corn, and coleslaw.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Have a great day, GC.

I'm hoping to get clearance to start working out again tomorrow . . .
Old 11-03-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Thanks SL. So far, pretty run of the mill, but tonight my freshman year college roommate, his wife, and son are coming back to the house so it should be fun.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you get good news tomorrow!
Old 11-04-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

For the second consecutive night I was up until 1 AM. My guests did not arrive until about 10:45 and while their son and my wife promptly went to sleep, not in the same bed for all you smart alecks , the remaining three adults stayed up and talked for a couple of hours. So, yes I'm tired today, but the macro picture is that it could conceivably be many years before we're in such a situation again after they fly home tomorrow and if that means losing a little sleep it's well worth it. We'll be dining at home tonight (more on that later) and then hanging out until whenever, but I can assure everyone reading that Saturday night will be an early one.

Exercise today has been and will be non existent unless dog walks count, but wifey and I will be at the gym tomorrow at 9. Tired for sure, but we'll give it our best.

Moving to food, this morning I served matzo brie, coffee, tea, and assorted fresh fruits. Dinner tonight is going to be pumpkin soup that my ex-roommate insists on making, poached salmon with a side of a herb vinaigrette, brown rice, and steamed broccoli. For dessert we'll enjoy a cake that my ex-roommate's wife will be baking.