Notices

On My Way #4

Old 12-18-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 461 (permalink)  

I got the day started with a strength and stamina class at the gym. Ten exercises in all that included different types of planks, rows, squats, deadlifts, heavy ropes, and ball slams.

Dinner tonight is going to be boneless pork chops in a paprika cream sauce with sides of corn and rice.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Monday fun with my trainer.

The usual warm up of 2 circuits of:

30 jumping jacks
20 squats
10 pushups

The 3 circuits of:

Renegade rows with a pushup
Ball slams with a non bouncing ball
Bosu ball pushups with knee thrusts
Inverted crunches
Kettlebell swings
Heavy rope doubles
Planks

I have some functional exercise later this afternoon when I help a friend move some furniture from where it currently is to her home. Dear son will be providing some muscle also.

Dinner tonight is going to be an Italian sausage (sweet and hot) tomato sauce served over pasta and a side salad.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

My functional workout turned out to be more than I thought. Firstly, there were a lot more stairs involved than originally disclosed, always a fun situation when dealing with heavy and not uniformly weighted pieces of furniture, and secondly the furniture that was being replaced needed to be taken out of the house of the furniture we were bringing in, another fun piece of news.

Were my son not with me it would have been impossible. As I've written before he has the couch potato gene, but he's strong and would be a monster with just a modicum of effort in the gym.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Not much in the way of exercise today aside from some walks. Meh.

I'm not sure what our dinner plans are; we're supposed to go to a holiday light festival at the county zoo tonight, but I don't know the timing of it.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Update on dinner plans: we'll be eating at home a little earlier than usual and then heading off to the zoo. Baked breaded chicken leg quarters with a side of quinoa will be the offerings.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Exercise today is going to be the 6:30 PM strength and stamina class that I've taken the past few Wednesdays.

Dinner tonight is going to be cubed chuck steak cooked in my slow cooker with a sautéed mushroom sauce. I'm kind of winging it, but it should come out okay. Also, it's nice that I can use an inexpensive cut of meat.

Either today or tomorrow I'm going to start curing about 4 pounds of pork belly to make bacon.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

It's hard to mess-up when using a slow-cooker.

Enjoy.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
It's hard to mess-up when using a slow-cooker.

Enjoy.
True dat! And I didn't. :-)

Today

Exercise for the day is going to be a run of about 3 miles that will take place in about one hour.

I have some errands to run later and fortunately none of them involve anything to do with holiday shopping. I'm done with one minor exception. Truth be told my wife takes care of everyone so I only have to come up with something(s) for her. This year I bought her a necklace that's a companion to earrings I gave her a year or two ago, assorted truffles from a local 3rd generation chocolatier, and tickets to a Broadway show. It's the last one that I still have to purchase, which will happen today, and since the transaction can be done from the comfort of my home it won't be a hassle.

Moving on to dinner, we have a few different types of leftover protein in the house and I think I'm going to combine them in a cauliflower stir fried "rice" dish that I've been wanting to make.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

I'm postponing making the cauliflower dish as I don't know how well it will reheat and I'm home alone for dinner tonight. My wife is going out with some friends, my daughter is spending the night in NYC with some grad school friends to celebrate the end of the semester, and my son is working. Maybe tomorrow.

I started curing the pork bellies this morning.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

No exercise of note today, just some walking.

Dinner tonight is going to be the postponed cauliflower stir fried rice.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

I wound up doing some gripper work and 75 push ups.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. After my post, when I thought about I wrote, which was an accurate account of my mind at the time, I knew I had to counter the wimpiness. All is good now. And I'll be at the gym tomorrow at 9 AM for a good butt kicking.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:02 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Along with my wife and daughter I was at a strength and stamina class this morning at 9; a fine way to start the day although due to the squat work my legs aren't happy with me.

No cooking for a couple of days. This afternoon we're going to my inlaws and will be taking them out for dinner at a restaurant they chose. Tomorrow we're going to my BIL's house for a large family party.

A happy holiday season to all!
Old 12-24-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  
Administrator

to you too GC

D
Old 12-26-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Lots of good eats and conversation yesterday and this morning I took my still full belly to the gym and saw my trainer.

2 rounds of:

30 jumping jacks
20 squats
10 pushups

3 rounds of:

Bb bench presses
Db flyes
Bb skull crushers
Bb chest presses
Bb standing curls
Pushups
Db bench rows

I was quite exhausted at the end.

I'm currently making soup from the turkey carcasses I was given and since we came home with a lot of food dinner tonight is going to be a smorgasbord of leftovers.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Great workout, GC!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Great workout, GC!!!!!!
Thanks SL. I hope you had a wonderful holiday.

I was so tired at the very end of the workout that even though I had to do only ten pushups as my next to last exercise I had to break them up into groups with a short rest. It's all good.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:45 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

My wife and I were at the gym for what was supposed to be a challenging, but easier group class than we normally take. In some respects it was because it was more self directed concerning reps and weights, but as we both push ourselves it was one exhausting hour. Gotta show those yungins that us older folks aren't easy to keep up with. Since it's so nice out I'll probably be taking a long walk with my wife and dog this afternoon.

I'm not sure what our dinner plans are as I'm not sure who will be home. If my daughter and her boyfriend plan to eat dinner at home I'll cook, but if they go out then we're going the leftover route again.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Finished a 3 mile walk with my wife and dog in unseasonably warm weather. Tomorrow returns to a more normal range so this was a one day tease.
Old 12-27-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Old Man Winter sure has a strange sense of humor.