Notices

On My Way #4

Old 11-23-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

My exercise today is going to be a strength and stamina class at the gym tonight.

Dinner tonight is going to be a slow cooker pork and beef combo with potatoes and carrots that will be seasoned with chilies, cumin, black pepper, and garlic. It will be served over cauliflower mashed "potatoes", which is essentially mashed potatoes with cauliflower being substituted for the spuds.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Love cauli mashed, GC!!!!!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, my friend.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  

SL, us too. Cauliflower is so versatile.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy holiday to you and your family.
Old 11-24-2016, 06:01 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

I'm off to the gym for a pre holiday feast workout. My wife and I will also be contributing food to the gym's food drive for a local soup kitchen.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

If I do say so myself I used a lot of fine portion control (within context of the holiday of course) and while I'm feeling a little bloated the scale was relatively friendly this morning.

Exercise today will likely be walking; I was at the gym yesterday and will be so again tomorrow at 9.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

The day started with a strength and stamina class at the gym. I wasn't fully recovered from Thursday's workout, but I did just fine. Minor DOMS be damned. Exercise-wise I know I have some dog walks ahead of me this afternoon and tonight.

We're staying home tonight and I'll be cooking. Since my son is home and my daughter is not I'm "allowed" to make a carb dependent dinner and I'll be making crab meat and asparagus risotto. Tomorrow will be the reverse situation and I'm going to be serving the turkey soup I'm making today with Thursday's carcass and a side of roasted mashed cauliflower.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Enjoy these wonderful days and those delicious meals, GC.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Enjoy these wonderful days and those delicious meals, GC.
Thanks SL. I hope you and your family had a great holiday.
Old 11-27-2016, 08:44 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

I'm debating over whether to run or just stick to walking because my right shin is bothering me and I don't want to aggravate it enough for it to become a shin splint issue.

All four of us were home this morning and we had a rare family breakfast. My apple wood smoked maple bacon, home fries, and eggs over easy. Liquids were various (apple, orange, and tomato) juices and coffee. We've now all gone our separate ways. I wrote about tonight's dinner yesterday.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

I wound up walking yesterday so not too much in the way of exercise.

Today I was at the gym to meet my trainer and he had me do lots of shoulder stuff:

2 rounds of:

30 Jumping jacks
20 squats
10 pushups

3 rounds of:

Db seated overhead presses
Db standing front flyes
Db standing lateral flyes
Db bent over reverse flyes
Bb standing upright rows
Bb standing curls
Pushups
Heavy rope fun
Planks

All sets were between 10 and 15 reps. The heavy rope sets were for a minute and I don't know how long the planks were.

I was so spent afterward I had trouble raising my arms to get changed in the locker room.

Dinner tonight is still a work in progress, but will include chicken thighs.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

No exercise yet; I'd like to run, but I'm having trouble motivating myself to go out in the current rainy 50F conditions. Wimpy. I've run marathons in worse conditions than this.

Dinner tonight is going to be pork tenderloin stuffed with spinach and baked with a mushroom sauce. I'm thinking of making brown rice as the side dish.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Exercise for the day is going to be a strength and stamina class tonight at 6:30. I'd prefer to get things done earlier, but the trainer did a good job two weeks ago so I'm willing to give it another go.

Dinner tonight is going to be a lentil chili that will also be using a chicken thigh I made a couple of days ago as well as what's left of the turkey soup I made after Thanksgiving.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

I had a solid class last night. Exercise today is and will be walking. I may also dust off my grippers because I haven't used them in forever.

Dinner tonight is going to be salmon burgers and baked spiralized sweet potato shoestring fries.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Hi all. Booze, blackout and bloody bad burns last year. OK- 'bout 3 weeks ago started doing serious supervised gym work for flexibility and improve stamina and strength. Doing well. Also started a 4 week how to live like a healthy person course, including the 10000 on Monday. 2 gym, 2x 10's and a 6. Need 2 b careful. Going snorkelling and kayaking with a group at a local reef Tuesday. Also lost 2 kg.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:31 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Hi, GC!!!!

You and PhoenixJ put me to shame. I just started working out again today - it's going to be slow-going for awhile but, at least, I am back in the game!!!!!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Good stuff Phoenix.

SL, I am so happy for you! I know you've waited a long time for this day and I'm looking forward to reading about your progress.

Exercise today is going to be gripper work, walks, planks, and pushups.

I'm a bachelor this weekend; for the past 6 or 7 years my wife has gone away with a bunch of women to the vacation home of one of them which is in a little town that has a large arts and crafts celebration of winter the first weekend in December. I won't be alone tonight because I'm going on a date with a young, beautiful, extremely smart, and aggressive woman I know who once she found out my wife was going to be away approached me with a suggestion for dinner and a movie. Furthermore, although it hasn't been verbally articulated, there's an understanding that she's coming home with me afterward.

Get your minds out of the gutter; I'm talking about my daughter.

So no cooking for me tonight, but I will be hosting a small brunch tomorrow after I get back from the gym. My cousin and his husband, who live on the west coast, are here and my sister will be joining us. Between various food allergies and likes about the only thing all three of them can have in common is water so the brunch menu is going to be pretty straight forward, but tasty nonetheless.

Scrambled eggs
My apple wood smoked maple bacon
Bagels
My lox
Hash browns

Coffee, various juices and teas and there may also be a mimosa involved.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Coffee, various juices and teas and there may also be a mimosa involved.
To clarify, I will NOT be having a mimosa, but will make them available to my guests.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good weekend

D
Old 12-03-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Have a good weekend

D
Thanks Dee and the same to you. It should be a good one even though my wife is away. I've already taken my dog for a 2 mile walk and I'm about to leave for the gym. I'm really looking forward to spending time with my relatives in a few hours and I'll probably lay low for the balance of the day after they leave reading and listening to music.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

A very solid workout this morning in a large group setting. My biggest takeaway from the experience was that I'm still in pretty darn good shape and am willing to push myself more than most. After brunch, along with my guests and dog, we went on a 1 mile walk and I'll likely go on a 2 miler later with my dog.