Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 03-13-2016, 03:12 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

7. Don’t confuse enthusiasm for action. Figure out what you need to do to stay sober and then do it.

From 101 tips, this is what I'm looking into today. I've been flying with enthusiasm. It'll surely come to an end at some point and I better have an action plan ready for that day.

Today my will power is hitching a ride from enthusiasm, but as soon as the enthusiasm is gone, it'll take a ride from whoever is around: self-doubt, depression, anger... You name it. And it will want to have a drink with it's new best friend.

So I will take some time today to make my action plan. And I will start doing those things on my plan, whether I like it or not. It's time to take action. :-)
Old 03-13-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Welcome ChickChick, WhatAlaska and SnowWhiteQueen. This is a great group and SR is a fantastic place to find support.

Headed to a conference in AZ today. Will need all the strength I have to keep this on track but feeling optimistic.

Have a nice Sunday everyone!
Old 03-13-2016, 04:52 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alaska290 View Post
Well Day 1 is over. It was pretty rough and I expect tonight will be unpleasant. Going hiking tomorrow. Some fresh air should feel good. Hoping these withdrawls will subside soon. Have a good weekend everyone.
Yay Alaska. I hope you had a good hike.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Kiki, Yes, you WILL get over this hump! I know exactly what you mean about your brain going on autopilot, I am the exact same way. It's like your mindset suddenly changes and all of a sudden your telling yourself it's not big deal, just have a drink. You mentioned not eating, I know for me, I would say about 95% of my slips have been when I am hungry. There is something about the brain chemistry of hunger that equates to drinking - for me anyway.
Also, I know posting on SR has saved me many times. It's hard to reach out, but it really can make a difference.
For me, I know it all comes down to that "BOOM" moment you described. Make a plan for that moment when your mind is giving you every reason and excuse in the world to drink: reach out (SR or to someone in real life), read on SR, read something recovery related, write in a journal, take a walk, EAT!, or....and this may sound weird but if I have had some sober time and my face and eyes look really clear and healthy, I will look at myself and ask myself, do I really want to lose this???
We are here for you. Don't beat yourself. Today is a new day .....
Old 03-13-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Good morning.....Welcome ChickChick, Whatalaska and Snowhitequeen

Sumi....So true about enthusiasm and action. Thank you for that. I think enthusiasm is what we all have when we start out, and then as we lose that, we forget the reasons why we continue, and, without a plan, this can be our downfall. Action has been the missing component for me as well. For years, I have been reading everything about addiction and recovery that I can get my hands on- books, articles, blogs, quotes - but it's not going to keep me sober unless I take action.

Today is one week for me and yesterday was the first day I had a real consideration to drink, which is typical for me lately. I can get through the weekdays and the first 5 or 6 days - mostly on enthusiasm.
I was very vulnerable and emotionally drained in the early afternoon and began thinking of ways I could get to the store alone, because I felt I deserved a few glasses of wine. I ate, I spent some time with my daughter, I got dressed and we went shopping together. The feeling passed. BUT, I also remembered that next weekend she is leaving for the beach for 3 days with a family friend. Something in me said, "I will save it for next weekend when she's not here" (I have 18 year old daughter who will be home, but she is not nearly as attentive to what I do). I'm glad I got through it but I have to take major action have a detailed plan for next weekend because the seed has been planted.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
South Asian

It's gorgeous, cloudy weather outside. Day seven almost done. Terrific Sunday. Homework with my son and then lunch in a nice restaurant followed by a movie with the family. Tomorrow I will work further on my plan. What has derailed me in the past after some good sober time? I have used liquor as a reward following reasonable periods of abstinence. That mindset needs altering. I need to find concrete alternatives and to realise that with drinking I am now hurting rather than rewarding myself. I used to think, life is so short, might as well drink. I need to think, life is so short, I can't miss any of it by drinking and feeling bad. Have a wonderful Sunday all.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Just a quick check-in for me as I start Day #6... stay strong everyone!!

Have a safe and sober Sunday.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

I have been in the exact same boat, and im proud for you 5upersonic. We can do this!!
Old 03-13-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Just checking in again to,give some of you my support. You can do this I didn't think I would make past a few days. Keep thinking about what poison you are putting into your body, would you drink a cup of bleach? I thought of it that way and my cravings suddenly went away. Post and chat and blog, that really helped me. I was down yesterday but chat lifted me up not neceserally talking about drinking but all,sorts of things to keep my mind busy.

Thank you all also,for,putting up me in my rollercoaster times in chat lol especially sugar bear .

Kiki0615 keep going, get in chat I'm like always in there. There isn't anything wrong with you,,you are human and we are not perfect.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Kiki, Yes, you WILL get over this hump! I know exactly what you mean about your brain going on autopilot, I am the exact same way. It's like your mindset suddenly changes and all of a sudden your telling yourself it's not big deal, just have a drink. You mentioned not eating, I know for me, I would say about 95% of my slips have been when I am hungry. There is something about the brain chemistry of hunger that equates to drinking - for me anyway. Also, I know posting on SR has saved me many times. It's hard to reach out, but it really can make a difference. For me, I know it all comes down to that "BOOM" moment you described. Make a plan for that moment when your mind is giving you every reason and excuse in the world to drink: reach out (SR or to someone in real life), read on SR, read something recovery related, write in a journal, take a walk, EAT!, or....and this may sound weird but if I have had some sober time and my face and eyes look really clear and healthy, I will look at myself and ask myself, do I really want to lose this??? We are here for you. Don't beat yourself. Today is a new day .....
Forabetterlife,

Thank you so much for this. I do really need a better plan & I agree about the hunger thing. Most of my slips happen when I'm hungry too.

For that reason I literally just put reminders in my calendar to eat 3 meals (healthy, low sugar) plus snacks each day & drink lots of water each day.

I never thought I would need a reminder to eat!?!

New plan starts today. I need to put my sobriety first each day! Before ALL! That's what I did in Nov, Dec & Jan & it worked.

I also am gonna stay off Facebook!!! That's something else I did during my sober months. Too many triggers!!! I tend to get sucked in easily too.

I need to check in here MUCH more frequently too & be more active. I haven't been doing that this time because I have been wasting my time on Facebook & doing other non-recovery stuff. Ugh.

Lastly, I may add some AA meetings in. That's something I'm still praying about tho.

Oh...daily exercise & avoid HALT (hungry, angry, lonely, tired).

Thx again for your post! It means a lot!!!
Old 03-13-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Really good posts here while I slept. I've got to go find so,we cofree and feed my kiddos before I can respond.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Just a quickie. Day 5 and Im doing fine.
Been up early with grandson, (age 5) who stayed over last night.
Has been a lovely sunny mild day for the middle of March.
Been to beach with my oldest son, his wife, my other grandson age 2, and my 5 year old grandson (his father is my youngest son)
I feel nicely tired, so Im going for a nap before tea.
Sending good thoughts to you all
Old 03-13-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Wow! These are really great tips Dee! I just read through them & there are so many things that I can use to help me & create my "tool box".

Thank you!!!
Old 03-13-2016, 08:56 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Hi ChickChick & lein! Have a great sober day! Lein, the beach sounds wonderful! I wish I had one close to me. :-)
Old 03-13-2016, 09:39 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Kiki, I'm glad you are right back here. I find having protein snacks around really helpful. Not eating is normally a big factor when I've relapsed. I keep hard boiled eggs in the fridge for a quick low calorie, high protein pick me up.
I could have written your post. It feels horrible when thathe BOOM moment comes. I'm right here with you trying to figure out how to get to the other side of that. The good thing is when we get past it in the first few weeks that moment comes less frequently.

Sumi, I loved your post! I dusted off my plan yesterday, I'm hoping to figure out something spectacular to add to it that will make this my last time quitting.

FABL, it's good to see you. Congrats on a week! I'm glad you what fun with your daughter instead of stinking later night. It's good that you know to be cautious about next weekend. Stay close to SR.

Horatio congrats on a week!
Keets I need to checck out chat again. I bet it would be great to go there when AV is being loud.

I recommend the 24 hour and gratitude threads if any of you haven't checked them out yet.
Wishing you all a happy sober day. I'll be around a lot today. I'm a tad stressed and AV is always loud on Sundays.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Day 8 and I woke up with a slight headache. As I stumbled downstairs half asleep I thought to myself how much did I drink last night? It was a nice realization NONE!!!

Kiki I've been staying away from Facebook too. When my sister deleted hers a few years ago I thought she was crazy but since I've been away this week I feel like I've left a group of middle schoolers. I enjoy keeping up with my high school friends so I'm not going to delete it but I'll only check in once a week now.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Day fourteen! I survived dinner out and CARDS last night. I'm populating all my kids' homes with decaf earl gray so I have an option at night.

Kiki--hang in there, you can do this.

Off to run normal Sunday errands.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Hi all, the battle continues. Day 1. Hope you're all well today and for everyday to come.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:31 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Jim
Old 03-13-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I hope everybody is having a good day!

Today isn't as hard as I thought it would be. So far anyways, hopefully it keeps up!