Notices

Class of March 2016 Support Thread Part 2

Old 03-17-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
You just joined it by posting that question, BeanieBaby. Welcome to the Class of March 2016! We've got a great group here, and I look forward to getting to know you better. I don't think that was a downer post at all, KiKi. To me, you were just reaffirming your commitment to a better way of life. We can do this! And I know you're right, Dee. I'm not worried about anyone biting my head off, just kinda running from my own shame. I'll get there, and I'm sure it will be sooner rather than later.
Thanks Casey! I truly hate alcohol & how it has controlled my life. I AM committed but scared at the same time.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:14 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JustQuit2016 View Post
Quick message, just gone to bed and had people drinking around me all evening. stayed sober. Yay. The real test I know will be tomorrow when I have no hangover preventing me from wanting it.
Great job JustQuit! That's hard stuff. Stay strong & be vigilant tomorrow. I don't know about you but many times I have stayed sober when everyone else was drinking only to get wasted the next day because somehow I thought I deserved it! Crazy.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
Hey class, Today was a bit challenging - not sure why. I went to my AA meeting and came home and had cravings for awhile. Just 4 days ago I swore I would never have another Day 1 and then all of a sudden I was letting my AV in. I shut it down and made it through the night, but was very moody with family and I hate that. I hate this disease so much. Going to call it a day, hopefully get a good nights sleep, and try to have a better day tomorrow.
Great job shutting that AV up!!! That's truly amazing stuff & so hard to do. Stay strong! You are my hero today for sure!
Old 03-17-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jtmlk View Post
Ladybug, I went to my first AA meeting the other day and afterwards was the first time I craved. I put it down to the fact we are in a place that makes us focus on our addiction , our thoughts are on our previous alcohol use so it makes sense for our AV to start teasing us a bit.
I agree jtmlk. I often have cravings after AA meetings. It's irritating. I haven't figured out what to do about that yet.

I've actually left AA meetings & driven straight to the store to buy alcohol! :-(

I'm not sure why that happens???
Old 03-17-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purplrks3647 View Post
Hey fellow Marchers! Haven't checked in here for a few days --- Now Day 16 and I'm having my first sober St. Patty's Day in since I can't even remember.....I even went to a AA meeting earlier - first one in over a year - reading everyone's posts and corresponding with you all has kept me going! Can't thank you enough!
Hi Purplrks! 16 days is amazing & happy sober St. Pats day! :-)
Old 03-17-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sillyboy View Post
I'd love to join this thread. I got a new job last month that increased my income two fold. What did I do? I celebrated and started drinking again. Now I feel terrible because I've been drinking daily and gained weight and sleep terribly. Man, this really sucks!!! I'm done though, I have to be. I fear my life depends on it (yet again). Sorry
Welcome Sillyboy! We are all in this together! One day at a time we can all recover.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Just coming to say goodnight. This cold has me feeling lousy again. See you all tomorrow!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post

I've actually left AA meetings & driven straight to the store to buy alcohol! :-(

I'm not sure why that happens???
I drank when I was uncomfortable,. An AA meeting would probably have made me uncomfortable in the beginning?

D
Old 03-17-2016, 08:21 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChickChick View Post
Just coming to say goodnight. This cold has me feeling lousy again. See you all tomorrow!
I hope you feel better soon chick!!!
Old 03-17-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I drank when I was uncomfortable,. An AA meeting would probably have made me uncomfortable in the beginning? D
True. I have major social anxiety when I don't know people very well. That could absolutely be the reason I get cravings at AA meetings. It scares me when it happens. :-(
Old 03-17-2016, 09:19 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

So, I found SR years ago when I was "determined" to get sober. That was six or so years ago. That determination didn't last long. There was always a reason, of course. Sigh.

Since then I have gotten divorced, had some health issues that my gut tells me are related to drinking--though I have yet to admit that to my doctor--and most recently (as in two days ago), lost my job. My liver tests are no longer normal, and my doctor is catching on. I'm also facing surgery in a few weeks.

Today is my day 1. It's just after 11:00 Central time, so I know I am safe for tonight. I don't do bars, and all liquor stores are closed. I drank the first two nights after losing my job, but know I won't find the motivation to embark on a job search in earnest unless I'm sober.

I need to be here. I need to feel a part of something positive. Even though I haven't been sober for the last six or so years, I've had some brief sober time. And I think I've learned a little bit from those. Like AV is very real. That cravings don't last as long as they feel in the moment. That just because I have cravings or AV is shouting at me, I can ride it out by finding something to occupy me for 10 or 15 minutes until it passes. I just have to want to do it.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and share in the journey.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to our class, clearlyheaded. I can relate to your story on almost every level. The fellowship to be found here at SR is an amazing positive force,. Glad you found us again and I'm happy to be starting down this road of recovery with you.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Thanks Casey! I've read a bunch of posts in this class and it's a great group
Old 03-17-2016, 09:58 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

Day 12 is coming to an end. It turned out to be a busier day than I had expected. We ended up taking the kids for a nice little walk after dinner. My wee one insisted on walking instead of riding in the wagon and he was more than happy to go to bed when I put him down for the night Now that chocolate in my fridge is screaming my name! Good night all!!!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:02 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Chocolate can scream at me any time, PeacefulRain.

Goodnight all! Thanks for helping me stay sober for another day.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Knowing that there is no way for me to drink tonight has silenced my AV. Isn't it funny how that works? Now if a liquor store was open....that'd be a different story. I slept too much yesterday and today, so I'm wide awake. Hoping that some herbal tea will help me wind down. Maybe dimming the lights or taking a warm shower will help too. Hearing my dog snoring isn't quite enough
Old 03-17-2016, 10:19 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

Good morning class

I'm checking in quickly to thank everyone for their support!! It's so important to me being part of this group!

This morning I will be using my alone time meditating and journaling. Didn't do any yesterday, and yesterday was a big day for me.

I will try to catch up with you guys in the evening, I wish you all a fabulous day!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

time for part 3 guys

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-3-a.html

D