Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 02-22-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  

Congrats all on your days, and to those coming back for another start. Lets beat this together. Im a firm believer in positive THINKING. And for me, praying always helps. Always.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:01 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Njdellis - You must be on day 18 or 19 by now?

I know you said that day 17 was youre hardest day so far and that you got very close to buying alcohol.

How are things now?

You and I know that if you start drinking again then you will have MORE trouble dealing with stress than whilst your sober. Its ALWAYS better and easier to deal with stress whilst sober, NOT the other way round! Please remember that.

I hope your boyfriend issue is resolved, if not, you must really try to not let it drag you off your path. Either forget the issue and move on, or resolve it quickly. I truly believe that it helps if we can really minimise any dramas in our lives the best we can in our first 6 months of recovery.

I am trying to avoid life dramas as much as possible.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Ladybug - Congratulations on passing 1 week!

Ive just completed day 3!

I get tired and a bit grumpy around that 3pm - 4pm time too. I have found that eating something really helps, and drinking a large glass of water and/or a cup of tea/coffee. It helps me anyway. Sometimes I go for a quick 15 minute walk around the block too. It actually energizes me strangely enough. Are you getting enough sleep at night? That's really important - I know. If I don't sleep probably the whole next day is a real drag.

What don't you like about the evenings right now? Just curious.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Morning folks..

So many posts to catch up on. Welcome back Maximus.

Applekat.. I understand what you mean. Post here for support. You can do it.

Day 23 for me. 3rd complete weekend without. I never thought I would be here 3 weeks ago. Many many times I have tried to get a sober stretch.
I feel better for sure. I know my AV will be visiting this evening, however it is not as loud as it was several weeks ago.

Have a good Monday everyone
Old 02-22-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Tired (Tiredofme) - what day are you up to? You have been sober for 3 weekends if I recall. That is so good. I hope youre proud of yourself.

Im a bit like you. My AV loves boredom, so I too clean if Im bored. Cleaning and organising also allows my slightly OCD streak to come out. Hey, there are worse things than cleaning like a mad woman haha - for starters - drinking.

I just wanted to say something. Please don't take offence because I swear I have the best intentions. Feel free to tell me to shut up, I will not take offence. You shouldn't even entertain the thought of having even 1 drink ever, because it ALWAYS takes us down the same path of regret, pain, bad health, loneliness, selfishness, low self esteem - to sum it all up - unhappiness. Maybe I read your post all wrong and got the wrong end of the stick. I am prone to doing that. If I did, my apologies.

And thanks for your support about the school mums. It really means a lot to me that you care about me. Big hugs.
Old 02-22-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  

Ready to take on day 1. I am determined to go into March with 8 days under my belt. Thank you all! I will be reading and re-reading today as my kids permit it lol. I am also looking to get some good energy boosting snacks and food. A big trigger of mine is exhaustion and lack of energy. I know I will sleep again someday but right now I get completely broken sleep bc of the kiddos. Which of course, having a drink or 5 does nothing to help the sleep. I know this. Just like I know I should have just poured out the last two drinks last night.

It's a funny thing...addicts are some of the smartest people...for all of the things we "know" we should be doing or not doing! Lol!

Anyway, I'm excited to make it through today and climb into my bed sober!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

SJ (Soberjim) - Only 1 more week and its a month! Good on you!!!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Apple - nawww love, I didn't realise you had small children. Im a mother too. And my child has aspergers. So I do understand re: sleep, exhaustion and lack of time. Try and read and post when you can though, and we will try and help you through. Think of us as your team mates, your other family. I for one, will support you if Im logged in, you just need to post (if you want to) so I know youre here.

Its so good that your back with us now. That's the most important thing. As your slogan says "Never giving up".
Old 02-22-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the supportive thoughts and words. Gotta run, but I wanted to say thanks. I know I have to keep the plan to stay sober number one! I can't just say, "I'll never drink again", because that's relying on my willpower and that goes away really fast. Today, my plan is to pray, go to an AA meeting, check in here and go to bed sober!
Old 02-22-2016, 04:53 AM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Hi Maximus, Im Cococo, well actually that's my dogs name haha - Coco, but I had to use 6 letters for my SR nickname so I added on another "co". I love her so much that I use her name for heaps of things. That's her in the picture.

Glad you have joined the class. I prefer it call it a team though, because class mates are typically quite cutting toward eachother, whereas a true team is not, they support, care and encourage. And they don't judge.

If you need some help then post in here, theres always somebody around. Even if its just for a chat :-) Im on here A LOT, so you can talk with me if you want.

Night all (I said night night before like 1 1/2 hours ago, I mean it for real now....yawn)

Beginning of day 4 for me now...........Woah!
Old 02-22-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Congrats on Day 4 Coco, you're doing so well.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Day 12! Knb I know just what you mean by the after-ski aperitif. You stayed strong! Next time it won't be so trying. Way to go!

Just another Monday. I'm having a harder time not smoking than drinking but neither is easy. I am so grateful to be done with that double life I was leading. I saw my dad yesterday (who knows me to be sober) and was so glad to not have to hide a hangover from him! Not sure if anyone here has a similar situation.....my close family and friends think I've been sober for years, my ongoing relapse has been my dark secret that I keep from them....

Stay tough class!
Old 02-22-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
Oh my God. I had to order my coffee at the bar and all those bottles were GLOWING! They were advertising a certain glass of wine and the thought of ordering one made me salivate. My AV started screaming. It was deafening.
With apologies for practicing poetry without a license, I would say that glowing bottles are the burning logs of a funeral pyre.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  

Morning everyone!

This really is a great group of people - all here to support one another and not judge. I love SR for that reason and for the accountability.

Starting Day 9. Haven't made it through a weekend or to this point in awhile (since Aug) so feeling positive, but definitely have my guard up. Have lots of running around to do today, which is good for me.

Will check in later. Hope everyone has a great and sober Monday
Old 02-22-2016, 05:42 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
And I put everything in colour order haha......as in from black at the bottom, then dark colours, then medium colours, then white. Then I did my wardrobe.......all pants grouped together, all dresses grouped together and so on. And colour ordered too.
Today the wardrobe. Tomorrow--the world! Sober, there is nothing you cannot do.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cococo View Post
Ladybug - Congratulations on passing 1 week!

Ive just completed day 3!

I get tired and a bit grumpy around that 3pm - 4pm time too. I have found that eating something really helps, and drinking a large glass of water and/or a cup of tea/coffee. It helps me anyway. Sometimes I go for a quick 15 minute walk around the block too. It actually energizes me strangely enough. Are you getting enough sleep at night? That's really important - I know. If I don't sleep probably the whole next day is a real drag.

What don't you like about the evenings right now? Just curious.
Hi Cococo,

Great job on getting to Day 4 and thanks for the suggestions. I am getting decent sleep, I guess, but my 14mo still wakes up some nights at 3am and it takes me awhile to get her back down so some nights it is broken sleep. I don't like evenings right now because that is when I used to do my drinking. Here at home, in hiding. My husband works from home, but he works a lot of hours and a lot of evenings. Dinner time is usually stressful because the little ones start getting cranky or hyper so now that I am no longer drinking I think it will take some time to adjust to "life" without having the drink to escape to. Hope that makes sense? HALT is definitely something I need to be aware of ...
Old 02-22-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
Just another Monday. I'm having a harder time not smoking than drinking but neither is easy. I am so grateful to be done with that double life I was leading. I saw my dad yesterday (who knows me to be sober) and was so glad to not have to hide a hangover from him! Not sure if anyone here has a similar situation.....my close family and friends think I've been sober for years, my ongoing relapse has been my dark secret that I keep from them....
I WAS in a similar situation. My friends had told me that if I continued to drink then they wouldn't want anything to do with me. I told them I'd been to the doctors and got all these marvelous pills to help with the withdrawal and cravings. They thought I stayed sober for two months, after that I couldn't stand sitting in a bar without an alcoholic drink so I told them the doctor had given me permission to drink again. They thought I was sober/controlling my drinking for a long time. Really I'd be sneaking vodka in my drink when they went to the bathroom, and getting blackout drunk as soon as we parted ways. I need their support during this recovery so I've told them I relapsed. They think it's the second time I've sought out the appropriate support for recovery but really it's the first. I have a lot of guilt over that one...
Old 02-22-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Ladybug - Congrats on Day 9, and for making it through the weekend. Weekends are the most difficult for a lot of people. You're doing good.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OldTomato View Post
Not feeling great today, Mondays are always the worst for me, I feel weak after battling through the weekend. I get anxious about stupid little things when I'm sober and it makes me just want to have a drink and forget it all. But I'm not going to, I'm on Day 7, so at the end of this day I'll be one whole week sober!!! Not gonna throw that away just because my AV's giving me a little grief. I'm going to a meeting later and seeing my sponsor so I just need to hold out until then.

knb - I'm proud of you for staying strong in that situation, the temptation is so strong and it's not easy at all to pull yourself away from it. It's crazy how I can see alcohol as a poison, but as soon as I see it in the supermarket it feels like I'm in love with it all over again!! Like you said, the secret is to just ride it out and know that it's going to pass.

Sansa - Good thinking, I always try something new each time I try to quit. There's no use trying techniques that haven't worked in the past! Stay strong and keep us updated.

tiredofme - Have you got plans of how you're going to keep yourself busy without alcohol on your holiday? Don't stress about it too much, one day at a time. I know you can stay strong.
I get stupid anxiety over nothing, I totally understand. I actually had to teach myself to ride out the anxiety almost exactly like the urge surfing thing Dee posts. I've been doing that with panic/ anxiety for months. It really works. Have you thought of that?
Old 02-22-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
I am so grateful to be done with that double life I was leading. I saw my dad yesterday (who knows me to be sober) and was so glad to not have to hide a hangover from him! Not sure if anyone here has a similar situation.....my close family and friends think I've been sober for years, my ongoing relapse has been my dark secret that I keep from them....

Stay tough class!
Hi kittycat, this is/was me. My family had no idea I kept relapsing. I hid it and did the same with trying to hide the hangovers etc. My husband now knows, which is a huge relief because I hated lying to him. We have a good marriage and I felt like such a deceitful, awful person. Like I was cheating on him or something. I still haven't told other family (parents, brother, SIL) that I am starting over and not sure I will. My dad lives in a different state, but my mom lives 5 min away and we are very close so I am sure I will come clean with her at some point. Anyway, I hated feel irk like I was living a double life - it certainly is no way to live.

Congrats on 12 days!!