Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 02-01-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I'd like to join this class too please. Today is yet another day one for me, hoping that active participation in these forums will help me find a better way. Still feeling like crap right now after way too much vodka and wine 24 hours ago.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Chinaski View Post
I'd like to join this class too please. Today is yet another day one for me, hoping that active participation in these forums will help me find a better way. Still feeling like crap right now after way too much vodka and wine 24 hours ago.
Hi Chinaski. Nice to meet you
Old 02-01-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell73 View Post
Hi Rusty,
I too was ambulanced to hospital with a panick attack nearly 10 years ago and the terror of it I will never forget. Alcohol increases our vulnerability to panick and anxiety yet my AV keeps telling me it will help me relax and to forget the stress.
Glad to meet you and you can do this!
Thanks Tink. I'll never forget it either -- makes me feel like a failure just thinking about it.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RustyBanjo View Post
Thanks Tink. I'll never forget it either -- makes me feel like a failure just thinking about it.
Hey Rusty,
Don't look at it as a failure.
It was a wake up call that you needed and you are doing this and helping yourself.
Easier said than done though I know......
I'm an expert at making myself feel like a failure. It makes the battle that much harder though.
That's why I intend to stick closer to SR this time and soak up that positivity, support and encouragement and hopefully offer a little of the same along the way.
I never used to post much as others seem to offer such great advice and figure I haven't got much to offer in comparison.
We are all fighting the same fight though.
-Tink
Old 02-01-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Chinaski

Rusty I'd ban the word failure in these threads if I could
Most of us are trying to change a problem that been with us for many years.

The drill for all of us is the same: if you fall down seven times? Get up eight - keep refining your recovery plan - and beat this thing.

Hope your new job went well today
D
Old 02-02-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chinaski View Post
Welcome Chinaski.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

hope everyone has a great day (northamerica), is having a great day (europe), or had a great day (australia/asia)!!! : D
Old 02-02-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Good morning and welcome to all those to have joined seems like this is not the first time around for many of us. I used to think that meant I was a failure. How can some people get sober the first or second time around, while I'm still working on this after 4 years? We all have our own path, our own levels of addiction and our own ways to make change. I no longer beat myself up over that.
Decided to take the day off Friday. A day just for me, much needed. Day 16 for me but day one is never far from my mind.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:11 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supertired View Post
hope everyone has a great day (northamerica), is having a great day (europe), or had a great day (australia/asia)!!! : D
That made me laugh!

Rusty ... I read somewhere here ... 'the measure of a man is not how often he is knocked down, but how quickly he gets up.'

Took the car to the auto car wash this afternoon. AV hit me hard. The thing I used to do was to get a couple of beers and drink them, while the car was being washed. Talked myself out of it by asking myself what the right thing to do was.

Had a tough workout tonight. Time for bed. I'm sssssooooo tired but sober, Love it!

See you in the morning Februarians
Old 02-02-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Day 2 started a few minutes ago. Woke up feeling committed to a successful day.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks beerbgone!

Originally Posted by beerbgone View Post
Chris I had a blood sugar problem a year or so ago. My doc said he could give me pills or I could go on a diet. NO CARBS! I chose the diet and my next visit 3 months later my blood sugar was back to normal. Doc said "just keep doin' what you're doing'".

Good luck to you!
Old 02-02-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grendhar View Post
Day 2 started a few minutes ago. Woke up feeling committed to a successful day.
Beginning my day 2 also Grendhar. My first night wasn't as bad as I expected. I slept 5 hours. Not really enough but better than after my previous 8 day bender. After that one I didn't sleep at all. 0 zilch nada!

I'm hoping for a great day today and hoping everybody else has one too!
Old 02-02-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hello to everyone who joined in the last few hours. I didn't get on last night so just caught up with all the posts. Had a nice time at a kickboxing class, didn't fall on my butt at least. Met another newbie. I'm not an unfriendly person, but usually not one to walk up and start a conversation. Actually went and introduced myself. Hope everyone is having a great sober Tuesday!
Old 02-02-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good morning! Nothing better than a sober morning! Day 2.
Will be fighting the urge to grab a bottle of wine for after kiddos' bedtime as I'm on my own tonight. I need a great movie or book to indulge in instead...
Old 02-02-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChrisBen View Post
I failed to mention that during that 3 months I also took Milk Thistle and Turmeric capsules. Both are supposed to help. I dunno'. But took them anyway!
Old 02-02-2016, 05:28 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Thanks Dee! I will check back in after the gym. I hope everyone is doing well. - Mel
Old 02-02-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Tinkerbell73 -- Nice to meet you too!

RustyBanjo -- How did your new job go yesterday?

Dee74 -- Thanks for the welcome! I like your walking Felix.

beerbgone -- Thanks for the welcome! And thanks for the reminder about milk thistle. I used to drink some dandelion and milk thistle tea that I really enjoyed. Plus I think it's supposed to be good for your liver. Just added it to my shopping list.

Supertired -- I hadn't really thought about the international nature of these forums. It's kinda cool to think there's someone on here 24 hours a day.

forabetterlife -- While I'm new to these forums, I'm also not new to telling myself I'm going to quit drinking. I've been quitting and then mostly not quitting for almost 14 years now. I've tried the AA thing but it's just not for me. I think a community like these message boards may be just what I need right now.

JamesSquire -- Good job on not grabbing those beers while the car was being washed. I've got tons of those little routines where having a drink (or two--to be honest, it was almost always at least two) was the norm. My plan for now is to run on here and tattle on myself and ask for help as soon as those situations arise. I've tried doing this alone for a long time now, time to try something different.

Grendhar -- Have a great day 2!

ChrisBen -- Kickboxing class sounds like fun. I need to find some things to do to fill all that empty time that I usually fill with sitting around the house drinking.

Applekat -- Good morning and have a great day!

Mel12 -- Have a great workout.

Think I replied to everyone who posted since I did late last evening. If I missed you, hope you're having a great start (or finish as Supertired pointed out) to your day.

I slept pretty good last night--seven hours or so. My bedroom wall is shared with my landlord and their kids were up way too early this morning screaming and laughing about something. If I was hungover today, I would have been tempted to throw a shoe or book at the wall or something. Instead I went back to sleep for another hour.

I'm definitely still dealing with some of the physical kickback from my last binge on Sunday night. I drank seemingly gallons of water yesterday but am a bit dehydrated still. My hands are a little shaky but hopefully the cup of coffee that is brewing right now will help that.

I work this evening. I don't really have any plans for today besides checking in here every now and then.

One of the reasons I've got to make sobriety stick this time is that over the last four months I've started drinking wine almost every afternoon for a couple of hours before going into work. Always at least two glasses but usually three or four or even five. It's a wonder I haven't gotten caught or done something stupid at work while buzzed. This behavior has really scared me. While it's something I'd done every now and then previously, it's become a near everyday thing since last fall. For a while I even switched back to working morning/early afternoons so I wouldn't have the time to drink beforehand. But that just led to me drinking more in the evening and then going into work the next day hungover and unmotivated. I'm back to working evenings now.

Related to this, one of my goals this time is to get straightened out financially. I can kind of pick and choose my hours at work and I've been scraping by for most of the last year being lazy and working the bare minimum 15-20 hours a week. I've set myself a goal of always working at least 35 and preferably 40 hours a week from now on. I'm getting older and it's ridiculous for a grown man to be just barely scraping by financially like I am now.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Good morning! Nothing better than a sober morning! Day 2.
Will be fighting the urge to grab a bottle of wine for after kiddos' bedtime as I'm on my own tonight. I need a great movie or book to indulge in instead...
Good luck- go for a book, it lasts longer and will send you off to sleep aswell hopefully. I'm going to do a lot of reading, will probably end up seeing even less of my family once in the reading zone have a good evening and think of how great you will feel on Wednesday morning.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi February guys, hope everyone is having a good day. Going back to work tomorrow and have built everything up in my mind where I've been hiding at home. Need to get back out there and face life probably but feeling anxious!
Old 02-02-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Started feeling irritated but will deal with it in better ways .. making lunch and going to listen to more motivational speakers on YouTube.. helped yesterday.