Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 02-01-2016, 11:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladybug2 View Post
I hear you AppleKat. How old are your children?
Oldest just turned 6. Middle is 4. Newest is 6 mo.

It's because of them probably that the quantity and frequency I indulge in is not crazy right now. But the mental grasp it still has on me is awful. I want to be free of that.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
Oldest just turned 6. Middle is 4. Newest is 6 mo.

It's because of them probably that the quantity and frequency I indulge in is not crazy right now. But the mental grasp it still has on me is awful. I want to be free of that.
We sound very similar. The mental hold alcohol has on me is just so exhausting. My oldest is 6 too (well she will be next week) Looking forward to helping one another.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I had joined Jan. group but then i ended up drinking on Friday so i think i should just join this group. I am not new here. I forgot my username and password so i started a new account. I know my old name was something like needtostop, or something like that. Anyway i have been trying to quit for a long time. I have a medication to help now. But i can't seem to get myself to take it. I am worry wort and worry about side affects. Nice to meet you all.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am starting to feel silly joining class after class. But I promised myself I would never stop trying. I need the support. And one of these times it has to just stick. It has to.
Tell me about it! I have joined so many (under a different name) It is so sad the hold this has on me.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I did so well last week. Trying not to beat myself up to much, but it sucks that I flushed a week of sobriety away. I knew it driving to the store, at the store, opening the bottle... I was just so tired. Relaxing is hard for me. I don't do a good job shutting down. I found out a few weeks ago that I'm prediabetic and that is depressing the crap out of me. Writing is on the wall. I don't know if not drinking and losing some weight will correct it, but it sure isn't going to hurt. I can't be a normal drinker. Never have been so I'm lucky that is all I'm dealing with. Time to put that out of my head and start a new chapter. Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their day. I'm almost done with work. Get to head home for a bit and then a kickboxing class. Get rid of some of this frustration.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am starting to feel silly joining class after class. But I promised myself I would never stop trying. I need the support. And one of these times it has to just stick. It has to.
I was back and forth on joining another class too ... But applekat and ladybug, you sealed the deal for me. I am two weeks sober. I managed the two weeks on my own but I know that if I'm going to keep going with this I need more support, so here I am joining with you.

I am proud of myself for these two weeks especially since I have had a lot of things happen in my life during this time that were beyond my control and I managed them sober. But I can already hear my AV taking that and running with it..

So I'm glad to be here with you. I have been reading a lot of sober blogs and I'm considering starting my own. I have also discovered some wonderful recovery podcasts. These have been great tools and I'm hoping adding SR again will help even more.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
I hesitated to join this thread because I've tried several times to get sober before on SR. The most I got was 6 weeks. I was very sincere all three times, but I somehow managed to convince myself I wasn't worth it , so I might as well drink. I never questioned that I was an alcoholic.

This relapse has been long and terrifying. I have alienated all my friends and almost lost my husband. I have been physically injured several times and still have a broken foot. I have lost days in blackouts.

What am I doing differently this time? since I know Dee will ask I've decided to get all the free help this city offers. I am in counseling now to work on my depression. I also joined a mood disorders and addiction support group. I found out that since I last looked, there is an SOS meeting here--only once a week so far, but anything helps. I choose not to attend AA.

But I really need more support than that, so I'm willing to join even though I'm embarrassed. I really am desperate to remain sober.

Thanks for the new group, Dee.
Glad you decided to join again. I joined the January class after having been a member of several previous classes. I have 32 days today, and I am determined to make this stick. You can do it!!

I shared this link about relapses in an earlier post. . Thought it might be helpful for you.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...s-relapse.html

❤️Delilah

Last edited by Dee74; 02-01-2016 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Just wanted to send everyone starting out or over today positive thoughts and well wishes.

You can do this!!!!

❤️Delilah
Old 02-01-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Febuarians

I first joined SR, Jan 2015. Did well for nearly 2 months, not bad for someone who's been drinking the best part of 35 years. Since then I've faded in and out but like you Applekat, I've been working at getting it to stick.

The PLAN is in place, the beer fridge is now a dry zone.

I've been completely off for 4 days now, today starts 5, but the February Class seems more appropriate to join than January to me.

My motivation started with a book, The Biology Of Desire' by Marc Lewis. It's a bit tedious reading at first because he talks about the science but as you get to his interviews with addicts, I can see the parallel. I see now how I have trained my brain to take the easy way out when anxiety hits. I now have to untrained it, so it takes up healthy options.

I have one problem, the time zone. Here Downunder we are 14 hours ahead of most of you that post. I read every post but I can go to bed and wake up with 5 pages to read. And when I post most of you are asleep, what happens when AV hits?

Anyway I'd like to join the February Class, if you'll have me.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome everyone. I always get a sense of relief when I start again. Freeing myself. So, I need to hold on to that feeling. Hard start already with a very cranky and probably teething baby. Why does it take so, so long for teeth to pop through! :/

But, I won't drink tonight. I am committed to that.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:23 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

What a day. I must have drank 5 gallons of ice water already! I'm forcing myself to eat. Probably won't get any sleep tonight.

My AV spoke up briefly a while ago. I went to buy cigarettes and getting in the car is a trigger for me. Because usually when I get in the care it's to go buy beer. But I made it ok.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beerbgone View Post
What a day. I must have drank 5 gallons of ice water already! I'm forcing myself to eat. Probably won't get any sleep tonight.

My AV spoke up briefly a while ago. I went to buy cigarettes and getting in the car is a trigger for me. Because usually when I get in the care it's to go buy beer. But I made it ok.
Well done!
Old 02-01-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

hey guys, I'm also going to join in if thats ok. had a 2 month sober period put together until last weekend. i fell off hard. so much so that although I'm back on day 8, i feel as though I'm just now shaking off the "hangover". significantly less anxiety today. this will be my 3rd attempt at maintaining lasting sobriety, and my last. IM DONE. staying close to SR has been very helpful, hence me diving in here! : )
wishing everyone the very best. this is doable!!!!
Old 02-01-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
I was back and forth on joining another class too ... But applekat and ladybug, you sealed the deal for me. I am two weeks sober. I managed the two weeks on my own but I know that if I'm going to keep going with this I need more support, so here I am joining with you.

I am proud of myself for these two weeks especially since I have had a lot of things happen in my life during this time that were beyond my control and I managed them sober. But I can already hear my AV taking that and running with it..

So I'm glad to be here with you. I have been reading a lot of sober blogs and I'm considering starting my own. I have also discovered some wonderful recovery podcasts. These have been great tools and I'm hoping adding SR again will help even more.

Yay great job FABL and great to see you!
Old 02-01-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChrisBen View Post
I found out a few weeks ago that I'm prediabetic and that is depressing the crap out of me. Writing is on the wall. I don't know if not drinking and losing some weight will correct it, but it sure isn't going to hurt.
Chris I had a blood sugar problem a year or so ago. My doc said he could give me pills or I could go on a diet. NO CARBS! I chose the diet and my next visit 3 months later my blood sugar was back to normal. Doc said "just keep doin' what you're doing'".

Good luck to you!
Old 02-01-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Today is another Day 1 for me.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Forabetterlife

Hi. Well done on 2 weeks. Podcasts sound a great idea. Where do you get them?
Old 02-01-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi to all,

Like many others on here, I have tried multiple times to quit. However, this time I am convinced I will make all the efforts necessary to succeed! What might help me is that I am a binge drinker who drinks about 1-2 times a week. So I don't have withdrawal symptoms. The big efforts will be required on friday because I usually drink after my hockey game and Sunday for the Superbowl. But I am sure I can do it and I am sure you guys can do it too!
Old 02-01-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlygirl View Post
Forabetterlife Hi. Well done on 2 weeks. Podcasts sound a great idea. Where do you get them?
Carlygirl, it's an app on my iPhone but I know you can also listen to them on their websites. My two favorites right now are The Bubble Hour and Home podcast. Both are made by women and addiction/recovery focused. Finding these has really made a big difference for me .
Old 02-01-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'd like to join !

Just posted my story yesterday 8 years and blew it ! Determined to get back to how good my previous sober life was.

Day 2 for me ...

JamesSquire ... Your now not the only guy down under. We can help each other if it gets tough.