Notices

Class of February 2016 Support Thread Part 1

Old 02-01-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by JamesSquire View Post
Hi Febuarians
I have one problem, the time zone. Here Downunder we are 14 hours ahead of most of you that post. I read every post but I can go to bed and wake up with 5 pages to read. And when I post most of you are asleep, what happens when AV hits?

Anyway I'd like to join the February Class, if you'll have me.

I didn't even have a monthly class when I joined James but I still found support

There's usually Aussies Kiwis and South Africans about as well as some Brits.

If you're not getting replies here, why not make a new thread in the Newcomers forum, or post in the UnderOne Year thread in the Daily Support forum - it would be very rare that a post goes completely unresponded to

welcome to all of you since my last post - Carlybird, ChrisBen, Ladybug applekat, beerbgone, letsdance FABL JamesSquire Supertired. Grendar and habslefan

D
Old 02-01-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi February guys, I only found this site today but already it's made me feel so much better about myself. Not only do I realise I'm not alone but I realise there is hope. Good luck to everyone
Old 02-01-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

For those who haven't seen them or may have forgotten here are some useful links.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

I stumbled around for a long time. Accepting that I was an alcoholic, and that no amount of drinking was going to be good for me, really helped.

I accepted that it's the first drink that starts the madness in me, not the last.

If I wanted change, I knew I had to start making efferent decisions.

I had to take drinking off the table as a viable option.

Whatever our 'triggers' are, there's always a healthier more positive solution out there somewhere - if we're willing to look for it

D
Old 02-01-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too Mia

D
Old 02-01-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

HelloooooFebruarians!!!

My name is wehav2day, I go by wehav in these circles.

I wanted to pop in and give you all a giant cyber (((((((((hug)))))))))

Some of you are new to this quitting thing, some of you have tried this before.

I'm here to say that you can make this your LAST, FINAL, THIS IS IT QUIT.

It's not necessarily easy, but it is simple. Don't drink today. Tomorrow, repeat after me... Don't drink today! You are worth it, and you can do it!

I'm a februarian, too. On February 22, 2013, I quit for what I hope is the last time. I had dabbled in recovery before, getting six months here and six days there, then six more months, then drunk for two years... Until I finally gave recovery my all. I tried everything. I stopped saying no. This isn't for me, that isn't for me, blahblahblah. I'd runout of excuses so I started to say yes. Yes to meetings, yes to posting on the 24 hour recovery connections thread, yes yes yes. If it was recovery, I rolled with it. Until I found what worked.

Keep saying yes to anything BUT the next drink and y'all will be alright.

I'm soooooo rooting for you!!!

Love, wehav
Old 02-01-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I used to be able to buy a certain amount of beer .. drink it and simply accept the fact I was done drinking for the day. Even though it was still way too much beer, I didn't drive for more while drunk. Now I'll drink what I buy and head back out for more. I'm blacking out every time I drink. It is only a matter of time before I lose everything I have.

As I said today is Day 1 .. I MUST remember that my drinking is progressing and the likelihood of me doing something totally stupid / dangerous is only a drink away...
Old 02-01-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

First class I am joining - should have joined January's class. February 1 is my day 3. I am happy to report that since joining SR in December, I haven't been sitting in bars during the week and my week day drinking has all but gone away. Unfortunately, Fridays are a big trigger for me, and my "couple cocktails at dinner" turns into blackout drunk, waking up drunk, losing a Saturday, the whole repeated mess. Haven't had a month of sobriety in a long time, I am excited to see how I feel on March 1! Made plans to do sober activities all week to keep myself busy
Old 02-01-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grendhar View Post
I used to be able to buy a certain amount of beer .. drink it and simply accept the fact I was done drinking for the day. Even though it was still way too much beer, I didn't drive for more while drunk. Now I'll drink what I buy and head back out for more. I'm blacking out every time I drink. It is only a matter of time before I lose everything I have.

As I said today is Day 1 .. I MUST remember that my drinking is progressing and the likelihood of me doing something totally stupid / dangerous is only a drink away...
Grendhar, I'm so glad you see this. That is how I've been drinking for awhile. I usually drink a box of wine with my husband, then drive to get beer. Luckily the beer store is pretty close, but this is SO dangerous. We could have killed someone. Also, I guarantee it's progressive. This last time was the worst I ever got. I gave myself a concussion falling on my face along with two black eyes that lasted a month, got bruises daily, cut myself, twisted my ankle and broke my foot. That is blackout drinking, and it is frightening!

On a happier note, welcome everyone! So glad to see that many of us are returning members. Today I have 1 week sober. Had a great meeting with my counselor today (she specializes in alcoholism). I had been writing every day 1) what was going on 2) how I was feeling or what my triggers were 3) whether I drank and how much, and 4) how I felt about how I handled the situation. I saw a lot of patterns I'd never seen before, and it cemented my decision to quit. She was really positive and pointed out that I had felt like drinking every day except one, yet I hadn't done it. My homework for this week is to find out what it was that got me NOT to drink so that I can use that in the future. So far I suspect it's stubbornness combined with a real desire to change.

This last week was pretty terrible, though--withdrawal symptoms, depression, rage, huge fights with my husband, sleeplessness, headaches, grieving my parents' deaths, waking up to how hellish my life has become (how did I get to this point??), cravings constantly. I am feeling stronger now because I made it through. I never want to go through this again. Today I feel proud and am allowing myself to hope.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome lovetolisten

D
Old 02-01-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Congrats on a week, safeandsound!

I have a piece of cheesecake in the freezer calling my name after kiddos bedtime tonight.

I will be leaning on y'all here next few days especially bc hubby is out of town and its during those little work trips I feel triggered. "Alone" with kids and feeling like I should have a reward each night. I think I'll pick up some of my fav sparkling juice or another dessert instead.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm no expert by any means but here are the things that work for me the most:
1- as Dee stated, taking drinking off the table. Don't even let your mind go there, don't let yourself consider it (way harder than it sounds of course)
2-recognizing and preparing for triggers- for me some of the regular triggers are hunger, coming home from work, and time alone in my house or time away from my kids
3-playing the tape through - sometimes I don't even have to go to the end...just to the morning and that first thought, remembering that I caved, that I drank, even if I don't feel hungover- just being so disappointed and angry at myself

Also, now that I am at two weeks, I look and feel so much better so that alone can be motivating (but it can also be a trigger at times - so confusing!). But I noticed just this afternoon I thought of how much I'd love a glass of wine (of course this was triple trigger time....after work, and I was hungry, and I was alone!) but I caught a glimpse of my face and neck in the mirror and noticed how clear and bright my eyes and skin were, how the bloat was gone and my face was thinner and healthy. That right there stopped me in my tracks....do I really want to ruin that??
Old 02-01-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

play that tape and play it again!!! have to always remember what brought us here.. the ole reptile brain can lead us to conveniently forget (or ignore) the pain we brought upon ourselves. I wrote myself a letter on my phone last sunday when i was feeling about as low as I've ever felt. its a bit of a dark read, but going forward, if I'm struggling and need a little reminder why I'm doing this, it'll be there!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Back at day 1 again. January 2016 was my first class and last night I blew it again. I was so stressed about a situation I have no control over and caved again and drank...a lot.
I wasn't sure either whether I'd post as I'm tired of sounding like a broken record and I keep telling myself people must be sick of hearing it. I always read everyone else's posts though and it sounds like many of you have been through this too. The frustration of being back at day 1.
To the Aussie fellas the time difference is a tough one... maybe we can help each other out by posting when the cravings hit hardest. It helps to know someone is there when you need it most.
This time around I'm going to try to post more and find an activity to throw myself in to outside of work and family commitments.
We live a little way out of the city and local activities are limited but I'll look into it. I've never really taken that time out for myself.
I look forward to getting to know this class and thank you to those who are further along and posted words of encouragement. I have had that sick feeling of discouragement and self loathing all morning.
-Tink
Old 02-01-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hey guys, can I hang out with you all here in this class? Today is my Day 36 so I am technically a member of the Dec '15 class but I am approaching that 45-60 day period which is where I have stumbled on my previous attempts at sobriety. I feel like I need to shore up all the support I can get to push past that this time around. It seems fitting also b/c I first found SR and had my first run at sobriety two years ago in Feb '14. That time I made it 54 days, then in November of that year 59 days then Sept of last year it was 49 days. I've had enough of the merry-go-round and I want to do all I can to make sure this is really and truly it for me.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by safeandsound View Post
I hesitated to join this thread because I've tried several times to get sober before on SR. The most I got was 6 weeks. I was very sincere all three times, but I somehow managed to convince myself I wasn't worth it , so I might as well drink. I never questioned that I was an alcoholic.

This relapse has been long and terrifying. I have alienated all my friends and almost lost my husband. I have been physically injured several times and still have a broken foot. I have lost days in blackouts.

What am I doing differently this time? since I know Dee will ask I've decided to get all the free help this city offers. I am in counseling now to work on my depression. I also joined a mood disorders and addiction support group. I found out that since I last looked, there is an SOS meeting here--only once a week so far, but anything helps. I choose not to attend AA.

But I really need more support than that, so I'm willing to join even though I'm embarrassed. I really am desperate to remain sober.

Thanks for the new group, Dee.
Hi safeandsound.
I too have lost friends due to my drinking and have severely damaged my relationship to the point it won't take much for him to walk away. I was so upset with him for forcing my hand to stop drinking and the way he went about it but now I see he just didn't know what to do with me.
We can do this.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RustyBanjo View Post
Hi. Woke up passed out on the couch at 3am this morning. I think that is going to make tomorrow day 1.

I too have tried plenty of times. I've made it stick for quite a while before, but have lost my way.

A month or so ago I was having chest pains and apparently had a panic attack thinking I might be having a heart attack. Thats never happened to me before, but went light headed, arms tingly, and woke up on the floor. My dad died very young from heart problems so it runs in the family. An ambulance ride later, it turns out it was just very bad acid reflux causing the pain, but my esophagus is inflamed -- and its caused by the drinking. I gotta stop and find a way to make it permanent. You'd think that would have been motivation for me to stop immediately but I've gone on another month.
Hi Rusty,
I too was ambulanced to hospital with a panick attack nearly 10 years ago and the terror of it I will never forget. Alcohol increases our vulnerability to panick and anxiety yet my AV keeps telling me it will help me relax and to forget the stress.
Glad to meet you and you can do this!
Old 02-01-2016, 06:08 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Carlygirl, it's an app on my iPhone but I know you can also listen to them on their websites. My two favorites right now are The Bubble Hour and Home podcast. Both are made by women and addiction/recovery focused. Finding these has really made a big difference for me .
Thanks fabl.
I'm just looking them up now. I didn't even know it was an app on my phone. I can't seem to find Home podcast though. Does anyone else have any others too they would recommend?
-Tink
Old 02-01-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Hello everyone committing to sobriety in February!

I am from the Class of August 2015, just popping to say hello and offer a little support. You can do this!

A couple of things that have helped me, and might help you:

1. Post every day in the 24 hour thread. You don't have to say much, but just posting helps me commit every morning.

2. Attend the Tuesday and Friday chat meetings (9 pm EST) -- again, you don't have to share if you don't feel like it, but just showing up helps keep me accountable.

Welcome!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks Vanaprastha

welcome SleepyDots and tinkerbell - I'm usually around most evenings Aussie time

D
Old 02-01-2016, 08:02 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Goodnight SR. Day 2 awaits.