Notices

Class of December 2015 Pt 4

Old 02-03-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

58 .. oooo that's good Jenses !

After working or having other appointments every day for .. um IDK ..
I am taking the day off and maybe do some things around the house and maybe change the oil in my truck. Might look for a used printer and visit a thrift store for what not.

I will be back to working Fri. through the weekend on another wallpaper removal and painting job with the same Lady. I hope this time the stuff comes off easy.
That last job had me working bellow my normal hourly rate. This one is the same set price so I need to get it done quicker.

Tomorrow is the alcohol education and then group therapy day for me.

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Good morning all. All is well. Wanted to get a check in before work. Hope everyone has a great hump day!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MissPerfumado View Post
I did something interesting last night. I went through all my previous SR posts and copied and pasted them into a separate file to create a sort of journal. I've been wanting to do this for a while.

It was pretty powerful to look back on early posts from December last year. It really reinforced my current resolve - especially reading how worried about my health I was just a few weeks ago. It brought back vividly how emotional and scared I was when I decided to quit.

Also very powerful: reading back on posts from my first time here in November 2014. That attempt lasted something like 8 days. Those posts showed me that my issues / fears / triggers didn't change at all in a year. It was exactly the same stuff - career concerns, hard-drinking colleagues, networking functions, business trips, addictive problematic relationship etc. etc.

Today is my Day 50, so this attempt has lasted longer. I did some things different this time - went to see a doctor on Day 1, got a counsellor, got honest with my family and close friends, educated myself a lot better with the help of SR and books, and took the time to think about and write down a proper plan.

A really eye-opening exercise. I think it's going to help me a lot.

Good luck on giving up the smokes, Steely and UB.
What a great thing to do to take all your posts and put them all in one spot. I journal a lot so it has been interesting to go back and read through some of my struggles in the beginning and current struggles now.

Having a plan is great and writing out that plan is even better. Somehow when I write something out it makes it feel more real. While I was drinking I used to never write down that I thought I had a problem even though inside I felt it. If I didn't write it down it didn't mean it was real to me.

I feel like I've been doing really well lately. My marathon training has been going great, I've been eating better, lost 10 lbs already, and started personal training 2 days a week. Mostly just trying to keep my time occupied. The only thing that is difficult for me is that I don't have many real friends, I had so many drinking buddies who I could always call up but it's definitely gotten a little lonely on the weekends. I'm really close with my family and I do a lot with my sister but I feel I need to reach out to some friends that I kind of ignored while I was drinking.

37 days sober
Old 02-03-2016, 04:17 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Quick check in today, all.

I looked at joining a new gym yesterday - it's a personal trainer only gym recommended by a friend. They assessed my cardio fitness as pretty good and my body fat percentage as average. I know that my body fat levels are higher than they look due to years of drinking. Although I appear lean I'm actually what they call "skinny fat". i.e. my fat is largely stored around my organs which means I am not as healthy as I appear.

I feel extremely motivated at the moment to keep running and get fitter and leaner. Leasha, I don't know if I'd be capable of a marathon, but that and/or a triathlon is like my dream fitness goal. Way to go on your training!

Steely - it's perfectly fine to drop the "Miss". I'm not precious.

Have a great day, all.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
I have just a stupid phone-phone ..
no apps for me, it does have a calendar I think, ha ha
we have an old school 'app' here Blacky lol

Sobriety Calculator - SoberRecovery.com

D
Old 02-03-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, ha ha ..
Hours
Minutes

Sober! Congratulations!

I did not do much today, well I did go to a thrift store and get some black t-shirts and I found an all in one sort printer for $4. I took the gamble that it worked and that I could get it to work on my computer.

The thing take just 2 ink carts and the black had some in it. I almost stopped to get some ink but then realized I did not know if the thing would work.

Well I got it to print and copy but not scan, which is the only thing my other printer will do .. ha ha .. but this one, a Lexmark will print in B/W with the color cart out of ink and it will copy easily.

So I guess that it's worth the four dollars.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I use an app, too - it is called Quit That! Today, it tells me that it is day 50.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:12 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Hi Class,
Just checking in before I hit the lounge in a coma. I had a really dreadful day all round, Stress City. I didn't drink and I didn't have a cigarette, feeble yay! Oh MissP before I reached your post I was thinking what in the hell was I talking about in asking if I could drop your Miss, I'm an idiot. Please see it as recovering alcoholic loses plot. I don't know what I was thinking, and now I know less given today's events. Love and best wishes to everyone in class.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

good for you for staying strong - but I hope Friday is better for you Steely

D
Old 02-04-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

Good morning class! It's been a bit over a month and I am still in amazement at how good it feels to not be hungover in the morning! In some other areas of life the honeymoon phase is over. I get annoyed much quicker, and have to take alot more deep breaths throughout the day. I am also starting to stress about an event coming up on Saturday night, as the alcohol will be free flowing. I am preparing by bringing plenty of Diet Coke (yeah yeah I know it should be water but I am not a plain water person and I am afraid it would only fuel the desire to pick up alcohol). Do wish me luck!
Happy Friday Eve ... I have my favorite AA meeting tonight so I am looking forward to that ( wow that sounds funny that I am more excited for the AA meeting than a Saturday night party) 😂😂😂
Old 02-04-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Good luck Vin !

Hope you have a better day Steely !

This is my alcohol class and group therapy day. Oh joy .. ok ok It can't hurt. The dui alcohol class is information I have heard and read many times over, at least the instructor is pretty good and funny. The CBT group material is also familiar, like I have read this all before, but as I said it can't hurt to reinforce things and also I am showing the court I am serious which is important.

I think I could pass a written test on all of this right now though, on the other hand I failed to maintain a long term plan to stay clean so I know being complacent or thinking " I got this " did not work for me in the past. So I keep that in mind now.

Hope everyone has a good day.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:00 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

hello everyone. Some pretty tough yards being fought out it seems at the moment. As I type I am sitting in a coffee shop at 9pm with a ginger honey tea and pretty nice it is too.

When I was walking home this evening I was thinking about how normal it was to buy a bottle of wine on the way home. Drink that and then pop out for another when the family went to bed. Thats two bottles each night, and they were not the real drinking nights. That would seem weird now. In fact I don't know how I could have thought of that as normal. I guess my habits are slowly changing. It still feels ok. I am not getting those strong drinking cravings like last time in terms of that mouth watering dreaming of wine and a cold beer but I do get the AV saying things like "you are missing out by having all these quiet nights in". I know enough at this point thankfully to know thats all crap.

Enjoying sobriety, look and feel great and just overall feel more positive about life. Takes work though, that much is clear, so no room for complacency. Have a great sober day everyone. Day 66...25 more days to hit the 3 months mark, thats my goal for now.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:56 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Good morning! Kicking off Day 39 here and feeling good. It feels like the days are flying by. Between days 45-60 is where I've stumbled in the past so to try to change things up I've started posting in the February '16 class as well as here. I think it helps me keep sobriety more front and center in my mind, whereas in the past its priority just kind of slowly ebbed away. Those times before I didn't have cravings exactly , it felt more like a split second decision to drink but in looking back I see I was working up to it for sure. I felt "cured" and allowed myself to drift further and further from SR. This time I'm going to solidly anchor myself here, maybe even join in on a third ongoing thread if I feel it is necessary. Me and SR gonna get all up close and personal like, lol.

It sounds like everyone is doing well and I'm really proud of all of us!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:15 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Sounds good SleepyDots, I know about getting complacent.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Smile

Good morning. Thanks Dee and Blacky for best wishes and Vin you will be able to drink Diet Coke at that function. Sometimes it's a reminder to self when seeing others hop into the free flowing alcohol. I'm stressing a bit more but still super glad to be sober. This is the hard yards as you say ubn and congrats on Day 66. I'm 45 Days today and no going back. Previous attempts have seen me waiver too sleepyDots and think maybe just one, but I can't con myself with that anymore because this time I know it would be an exercise in futility. Happy for us all that we are sober. Go team.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Morning all. It's Friday! Which means I get to have lunch today with one of my best friends who lives here and dinner tonight with my sister and BIL. I love all of these people and I cannot wait to see them - we have so much to talk about!

Steely - no worries there You have lots going on by the sounds of it. Great job staying off both cigarettes and booze and hope the stressful times get better!

Sleepydots, I couldn't agree more - SR is a lifeline. I tell myself I shouldn't feel bad about how much time I spend on here - it's saving me from the alternative and therefore giving me my life back.

I signed up for 4 sessions with the new gym just while I'm in town. I got to tick the box on the form that says I don't drink any alcohol at all. Only you folks could appreciate how weird but good that felt. The trainer called my responses "perfect" ... a man with the physique of a Greek god commenting on my "perfection" ... I'll take that .

Have a great day everyone - weekend's coming, not too long now. Blacky I remember you don't get weekends off but have a great one and hope the classes weren't too insufferable.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 66 days ubn

Happy Friday to everyone on my side of the world

D
Old 02-04-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by eleven View Post
I use an app, too - it is called Quit That! Today, it tells me that it is day 50.
I use the same app eleven

Day 60!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Happy Day 60 Jenses !

My day went well, class went by ok and some info was good some as I said I know, like how the body processes alcohol by eliminating 1 oz. an hour. Thus all of us were waking up in dui condition .. no no .. well I was, but I need not worry now as I don't drink. That was the first class.

The CBT group was about Guilt and Shame and then Grief and Loss.
I remember this:
Guilt = I made a mistake and got a speeding ticket.
Shame = I am a bad person because I got a speeding ticket.

Grief and Loss was about the 5 stages, um lets see, Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression/Sadness, Acceptance .. then ya let it go .. somehow, don't remember any talk of how to go about that .. oh wait there was some mention of writing a journal or in a journal? I guess working how you feel and such.

Someone in another thread on the forum just asked me if I had a written plan ..
I did not, but I wrote this out off the top of my head ..

I have not written anything down as of yet. Well typing stuff on this forum everyday is keeping things in the forefront but as for my plan .. hmmmm

1. Don't Drink
2. Realize I can never drink and the AV is always waiting to pounce.
3. Keep in mind how much better all things are for me not drinking.
4. Don't forget how horrible I felt when in the cycle of drinking.
5. Maintain or work on a healthy lifestyle and routine.
6. Seek ongoing support from others I can be honest and comfortable with.
7. Ask for help if I feel in need.
8. Realize how fortunate I am to have a decent and sober life.

.. that's all I have off the cuff ..

I intend to read about other programs than AA as I have not as of yet. I have been to many meetings and read the Big Book so I want to see what else is out there.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:36 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Good afternoon all,
The IDL has me confused and don't know whether it is today or yesterday. Just wanted to check in without a real lot to say, depression I think. Just feel like crying. I know that I have heaps on my plate even outside of drinking and smoking but this not enough to pull me out. Good news is that I have no intention of drinking thanks to SR. I know 100% that I would be drinking given my current circumstances. It will pass. Thanks MissP for understanding and your plan looks a good one Blacky. Best to all and hope my mood shifts tomorrow. Don't want to whinge, I don't like that in a person.