Old 01-18-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Itchy love ~ please give our love to your wife as well. ♥

RIP beautiful Skylar.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Just heard the sad news that Glenn Frey of the Eagles passed away at age 67. Always one of my favorite bands.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

OMG. Again.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks guys. Maggie is only lying down where she can see if Skylar is coming. She will need extra attention for the next few weeks until she adjusts and has done the doggy grief process. However, I am already remembering his ways and the fun times we both would have missed without the other/s. I will look for a dog to become one with my leg whenever thunder, guns, or fireworks go off. Maggie is not afraid of those things. I'll be looking for him to come running for a good while. Maggie just ignores them.

Jonah our great Dane 1973-1980 Heart failure age 7

Bear Miniature Dachshund 1980-1992 cancer age 12

Bogart Shar-Pei 1993- 2007 age 14 Cancer

Skylar half Border Collie half Lab 2006-2016 age 10 stroke/heart failure/Pulmonary Embolism, one, two, or all three. (We got him when he was a year old as a rescue)

Maggie Mae 2008- ? Black and white Heinz 57 that even the vets won't try to guess her breed. Currently a healthy athletic 7 years old
Old 01-18-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Itchy, would you consider getting another dog?
For Maggie of course.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Itchy, I am very sorry for your loss. Skylar was a wonderful dog I am sure. I have always loved border collies. Had one growing up.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I cleaned out some closets and files today. Emotionally exhausted from it. Of course, there was only so much I could do. Will have to do another round next time I have a three-day weekend.

Anyway, I think it triggered me a little. I was making jambalaya for dinner and I was annoyed that I couldn't have a glass (or bottle) of wine while I cooked. Felt like I would have enjoyed it more instead of cooking being a chore. I don't usually have this kind of pity party about not being able to drink normally, but here I am.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

GHD welcome to my world. I get annoyed thoughts about drinking all the time. And then I get annoyed that I'm annoyed. Fun huh? It's just the way I am, I don't tend to let things go very well. I deal with it.
I'm feeling content today. Usually that's when some disaster is about to happen in my life, haha. Seriously though.....
I'm kind of letting myself relax and enjoy where I am, right now. It's unique and likely I won't live anywhere as nice, on my own, again once I leave here. Or maybe I will, who knows. Ah, life!
Glenn Frey....David Bowie....Alan Rickman...Natalie Cole...and Celine Dion's husband! There's a party going on in heaven you guys.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:10 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Re-Member

V Kitty,
At 3 or 4 years old, Skylar's thyroid gave out completely but we did not find out until we brought him in at two because he had trouble getting up high into our diesel 1 Ton and 3/4 ton trucks. We then found that he was producing no thyroid hormone thus his 40 pound weight gain. We have given him thyroid pills every morning and evening and he slowly recovered. He shed tremendously and you can vacuum daily like we do and have 3 inch rolling hairballs everywhere. We won't miss the constant shedding, ear infections, belly rashes, allergies etc,. that he had. But he and we had a great relationship for the time we had. Maggie might need a buddy to keep her company. We'll see. But no more dogs that shed like Sky did, and we would be more interested in a rescue of a middle age non shedding pup that would already show any medical issues. No more males as most females are much less odorous. So if we find a freebie to great home, much loved, healthy Standard poodle, Basenji, or retired Greyhound.

Then we might consider if Maggie has issues adjusting to suddenly being an only fur kid, and we find a great non shedding rescue that needs a great home .

In other words the bar is too high now. Neither of us wants to go through the puppy year. So likely no.

GHD,
Good on you for being annoyed. I like to think of it as survived not deprived. You'll lose the deprived feeling eventually as we all did that stayed for good.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Old 01-18-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

When I moved in to this flat, it was going to be temporary. I fully intended to go and live in London. (I have duel citizenship).

I had been living with friends who were musicians, and one of the guys had a cat that was about to have kittens. Of course we were all asked to take one...I said no. I couldn't. The mum cat was a tortie, totally orange and brown. So I said, OK, if one of the cats comes out gray and white, maybe.

So of course that happened. She had two gray cats...go figure.

And then I said (on the way to friends' house/garage where band and entourage and cats were all hanging out) if one of the gray cats leaps into my arms, I'll take it home. We laughed.

And really, I sat down and this kitten just flew into my arms.
Silly story, but it's true.
And Jazz was an awesome cat.

I really do understand Itchy...if it's meant to be, otherwise it can be a great deal of work. I have had borders (one who had diabetes, so twice daily insulin injections) and labs, and I honestly don't know which breed sheds more.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Itchy,

D
Old 01-18-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I love that quote Dee.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:43 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks IP

D
Old 01-18-2016, 09:27 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Thanks Dee, and I agree with IP.

I am also at a loss for Glenn Fry following so close on after Bowie and Natalie Cole. Rickman was a gem of another sort who did not make his first movie role that was his big break until age 42! There's hope for all you late bloomers too!

Frey co-wrote "It's Your World Now" with Jack Tempchin for the last Eagles album, 2007's "Long Road Out Of Eden." Another prophetic song that said
“It’s your world now / My race is run / I’m moving on / Like the setting sun.”

I never listened to it until today and it is so pure "Eagles sound."

Old 01-18-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I like that whole album Itch,

D
Old 01-18-2016, 09:45 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Re-Member

V,
Thanks, great story. It does seem we get picked as much as the other way around. My Significant Harassment had been on me to get a second dog so Skylar would have a companion. We've never had two furkids at once before and I was not going to do it.

After about two months of her literally nagging with malice aforethought, with agenda laden drama queen productions at the end of any conversation, I was in my office one day back when I went back to work from 2005-2010 out of sheer boredom from retirement, and the owner's son came in with a box. He had found two barely weaned pups that had been thrown away in a ditch and left to die. Brother and sister. He was all black but she only had an all black head and the rest was identical to Skylar's coloring. I called my SH and she came dsown and approved but before she could take her home with her I insisted that she go to the vet for a full exam for problems like Skylar ended up having. And also for her shots so she would not bring anything into our home that could hurt Skylar or us. The vet gave her a pill or dip, I was at work she took her, that got rid of fleas. She brought the pup[ back and although Maggie Mae was tiny, hundreds of fleas came crawling off her! I don't know how she survived with any blood at all.

Kismet!

I took Pics of Sky with her a few weeks after she was with us and had become used to baths and was adapting to her new home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Maggie 1 (Small).JPG (82.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Baby Mags
Attached Images
Maggie 2 (Small) (Small).JPG (47.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 09:53 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Re-Member

A few weeks later. She is afraid of cameras. Not thunder. Not fireworks. Not gunshots. Cameras with flashes. Skylar used to pose and try to get me to take his picture as you saw earlier. Pull out a camera and he started smiling and posing proud, Maggie started shaking like he did with thunder. Go figure.
Attached Images
Maggie 4 (Small).jpg (55.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 09:59 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Oh wow, what a cutie.
Thank you so very much for sharing Itchy!
And I love the story...yes, our furkids really do choose us.

And thank you for the Eagles song, and thank you as well Dee...I did not have that album. I do now.

Hotel California will always be it for me though, and Wasted Time will always be my favourite song.