SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year & Over Part 34 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/383016-one-year-over-part-34-a.html)

Dee74 01-15-2016 04:08 AM

One Year & Over Part 34

Last part here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-33-a-20.html

D

Rusty Zipper 01-15-2016 04:51 AM

thanks for the new part dee

congrats to the cele's

and condolences FG

DrakeCKC 01-15-2016 05:10 AM

Thanks Dee!

Toots: I am sorry to have neglected your 2 & 10 anniversary! So an extra fireworks!

:nyc :nyaa :nyu :nyc

Mardi Gras is my favorite celebration. Food, beads, fun, a little naughtiness.. what more could you ask? But yes, the drinking is a problem to avoid... but the gumbo, grillades and grits, dirty rice and BBQ shrimp. etc.. is fair game.

Saskia 01-15-2016 05:42 AM

Good morning, Overs!

FG, so sorry about your friend.

Itchy, hilarious video :-)

I started to watch the Republican debate last night and turned it off after no more than 10 minutes. It was horrible! What has this world come to with ignorant posturing and lack of any civility as the norm.

LDT 01-15-2016 05:45 AM

Thanks Dee.

Congrats on your sober time, toots! :c011:

Good morning Overs.... Sorry this is another drive-by..... Family is all pouring in for the Bday weekend and my house already looks like a triage unit. Need to clear a space or 2 to put all the bodies (and dogs).

Mardi Gras in New Orleans is maybe the most insane experience of my life. I don't even have any better words to describe it. I've done it a few times now and like Itchy said..... Got that Tshirt and have no problem skipping it this year.

Hope y'all have a marvelous Friday. Back later .

DrakeCKC 01-15-2016 06:10 AM

I did NO Mardi Gras once, I don't remember much of it. :( I lived in St Louis for years and they have a big celebration that is a bit more tame, but not much.

Now I just cook up a storm. But for the last couple of years I have not had a Mardi Gras dinner, due to space problems and a bit of burn-out. I am one of those types that will not allow anyone to help or contribute to the dinner, I have to do it all. Cooking for 25 like that can be stressful. I started to not enjoy it at all.

So I just spread some beads around and go from there.

InParticular 01-15-2016 06:20 AM

It's cool you southerners have a "party" season. All we really have up here is Christmas and well--that's Christmas.
Canadians don't really let loose much like that. We probably could stand to.
Itchy-that video! And it perfectly illustrates how I feel right now, haha. But, I met the (probable) new editor, and if he comes on, he's going to improve my work situation VASTLY. And the Stay side will become much stronger. He seems like a nice guy, has ideas and energy, and is going to make my job SO MUCH EASIER. It all is just waiting for a few more things to fall into place, and then we'll know.
LDT I love hearing about your exciting life. So glad you're posting here!
How weird is it that Alan Rickman and David Bowie both died at 69 of cancer? Rickman was one of the greats. Sad week. Can't believe Bowie is gone. What a less interesting place the world is now.

Mags1 01-15-2016 11:33 AM

Evening overs

Just watched James cordon with Adele earlier, funnily enough. Very good!

MidnightBlue 01-15-2016 01:03 PM

Hi, Overries)

I know I've promised on the New Year Eve not to be a stranger to one of my fav threads. So, better late than never)

I am ok overall. Alive and kicking. Back to boxing after a month's break - had no funds to renew my gym membership. It feels good.

Today was a super-blah day, just out of nowhere. Why feeling of inadequacy blasted full time.

My "big boss" asked me to do some assignment some time ago. So, today I was ready to go with it and asked him to look through. He asked me a question and I immediately took a defense stance and just shoot out a bunch of explanations. He told me "Calm down. I just simply asked". I felt like a total idiot because I realized how inadequate my overreaction was. If I would him I would likely to ask the same question - it was logical. And I've been beating myself up all day. Just because I fell like this part of me plays independently totally out of control. It's always like a flash now then I look back and think "What was that?". Just so upset about it. This "alien" emotional responses throw me out of balance. Because I feel like the person whom my boss just saw wasn't me at all, and now I somehow have to find a way to show "real me". Crazy. Ok, enough.

Toots - Congrats on your another milestone! We share with you number 14 - I've just noticed that I had a pretty funny one - 3 years and 3 months .

LDT - Good to see you.

InPar, Drake, Itchy, Rusty, Venus and all other friends here - hi to you all and have a great weekend.

I've decided to watch pretty emotionally challenging TV series - just to put my mood even lower. So me. It's original Israeli TV series "Prisoners of War" - american Homeland is adaptation of it. It's quite dark but I like it.

See you all.

Mags1 01-15-2016 10:37 PM

Morning overs, Saturday is upon us. Hope it's a good weekend.

Had horrible dreams last night one with which hubby told me he was leaving me, not just a break, forever! In my dream I was devastated and I realised how much I loved him (soppy, hey?) and had lost. Strange really, cos I wonder sometimes what it's all about and if he's happy with me, but he seems it, we get on great especially since I'm sober and 'present' . Do we just take our loved ones for granted when we become comfortable with them? Ah well, it was just a dream, but the feelings inside were the same as if it was real. What a fascinating machine, the brain!

I'm full of coughs and cold, been taking the home remedies, but gotta let it ride the course.

Just lit a coal fire as its cold even with the central heating on. Got plenty of logs to go at. It's quite frosty outside. I think our seasons are moving around.

Midnight, it's easy to be on the defensive sometimes, I think your boss was nice to stop you in your tracks, I know some of our managers that would let us get more and more in a pickle!

venuscat 01-15-2016 10:46 PM

I hope your cold gets better Mags. :hug:

If it was me, I would take that dream and make it into something positive.
Maybe it would be nice to just go out and have a nice romantic dinner with your husband for no reason? Sure, we can take it for granted, but we can also do something special to remind us that our relationship is precious (soppy here too love :)).

tootsl1 01-16-2016 12:36 AM

Mags it is easy to take for granted that which we always have around, I guess that is why we should regularly take stock and be thankful for what we have.
I must say that mostly I am always appreciative of all I have, I know that I am fortunate. Life isn't perfect, neither is my marriage, but it is good, and better than many.

MB, it may be worth thinking about your defensiveness and trying to think about where it comes from. What age you feel when you are being defensive. Perhaps you needed to stand up for yourself when you were younger but was unable to, so now that you can, you find you are doing it inappropriately. You may need to take a breath when being given feedback to allow yourself time to digest what is being said or asked.
We all take what we perceive as criticism, personally, but we need to take things in context. Is it aimed as a person insult? Is it coming from a place of inadequacy in the person delivering it? Is it really more a case of the message is intended to help us improve in some way? There are other variables, and sometimes we need to consider them before immediately taking offence and jumping to defence. Not easy, it takes practice, but if it's something we are in the habit of, it is certainly worth it.
It is really lovely to see you here my sober twin, (Or is that triplet with Wolfie? Or quad with Kris??) and congrats on 3,3!!

Hugs all.

feeling-good 01-16-2016 01:17 AM

Thanks Dee for the new thread and thanks for all your kind thoughts. Quite chilly up here in Scotland today - brrrr! I am so very grateful for central heating and warm clothes :)

Mags1 01-16-2016 02:16 AM

Thanks V and Toots! I think i get in a rut, though I never try to take things for granted, our nearest get the worst as well as the best of us. But my husband doesn't say a lot, I have to make my own assumptions. Ah well, as toots said, we've got it better than a lot, roof over our heads and food in our belly.

Chilling here too feeling-good.

Soberwolf 01-16-2016 03:30 AM

My youngest neice is visiting with my brother we've just put the shopping away it is chilly but the garden is full of starlings ring neck doves & wood pigeons

A magpie just joined the party :lmao

A good day ahead

FBL 01-16-2016 04:30 AM

Have a great Saturday, overs!

Saskia 01-16-2016 05:08 AM

Good morning, Overs?

Mags, sorry you are not feeling well. Those "strong and silent" kinds of spouses can be a challenge for those of us with self-image issues.

MB, we can't be always react the way we would like to. We are, after all, human and it does go with the territory :-)

We were supposed to have a snow storm last night but living right on the ocean can make it just enough warmer that it fizzles.

Have a good one to all!

GroundhogDay 01-16-2016 05:23 AM

Mags, it seems that one of the big issues people often have to deal with after quitting drinking is the change in the dynamic with their spouse. Some divorce. Like you, my relationship is better with my husband. I also have a bad habit of taking him for granted. Perhaps both of us need to express ourselves more. Of course, that would probably alarm my husband. He would think "who are you and what have you done with my wife?" :lmao

GroundhogDay 01-16-2016 05:28 AM

Midnight, why do you think you got defensive when the big boss asked you a question about your work? Was it a difficult assignment that you weren't confident about? Just try to learn what you can from it and move one. Over the years, I have learned to be calm at work. Experience helps.

Mags1 01-16-2016 05:49 AM

Haha thanks GH .