Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 25

Old 01-16-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Thanks V. Sorry, I got way further into that than I meant to. I have a bad habit of that. Moving on...

My daughter and I have this on repeat. You can't help but feel a little better with this going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkCyfBibIbI
Great song, Briar. I can just see you and your daughter dancing about.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hello, wonderful Octsobers.

Have a great day, all.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I was just looking at some old alcoholic pictures of me. Man, did I look terrible.

I ripped one of them up and tossed it.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Morning all. Gosh I love you guys.
So much wisdom here!
Old 01-16-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Excellent, Arbor!

Hi Venus
Old 01-16-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Don't toss them all Arbor.
I keep one.
Just so I can remind myself I never want to look like that again.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:16 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Oh there's plenty left Vee. Just one I couldn't stand to ever let see the light of day again. These were only a couple years old at the most.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I wish it was as easy to trash certain thoughts or ways of thinking so that they never see the light of day. It is my single biggest stumbling block imo. Did y'all see the little poem that BarbieKen put on the 24 a few days ago?

'The thoughts we think are like the seeds we sow, And surely what we plant will grow.'

It is so true. I so much want my default thought process to be positive. In the meantime I find ways to distract myself with trip planning, genealogy research, work, yard projects, SR etc.. At the end of the day to be comfortable in one's own skin is a treasure I covet.

A quiet yet pleasant day here and I hope the same for y'all
Old 01-16-2016, 02:40 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you'll be feeling better soon Conquest
Old 01-16-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Totally saw that amazing quote from Bobbi, Mark. I actually quoted it in the 24hr thread. I've been trying my best to live each day like that. Power of positivity. Even if you don't believe what your saying just say it, think it out loud anyway. I told myself that when it came to living sober one day at a time. "Today I won't drink. Just for today." If you don't believe it Arbor just say it anyway. And that's what I've been doing for the past four months. It's gotten me here.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Arbor, do you have the full Just For Today poem?
I think you would like it.
Years ago in AA, they would give out the card, and I think there are about 7(looks like 9) Just For Today lines. I was encouraged to cut up the card, and put it in a jar, and every day pick one (without looking), and that would be my mission for the day.

I loved it, and I still do it.

JUST FOR TODAY
Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle my whole life problem at once. I can do something for 12 hours that would appal me if I felt I had to keep it up for a lifetime.

JUST FOR TODAY
Just for today I will be happy. Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my luck as it comes, and fit myself to it.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will strengthen my mind.
I will learn something useful.
I will not be a mental loafer.
I will read something that requires effort, thought and concentration.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will exercise my soul in three ways, I will do someone a good turn, and NOT get found out. If anybody knows of it, it will not count.
I will do at least two things I don't want to do just for exercise
I will not show anyone my feelings are hurt, they may be hurt, but today I will not show it.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will be agreeable, I will look as well as I can, dress becomingly, talk low, act courteously, criticise not one bit, not find fault with anything, and not try to improve or regulate anybody except myself.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it. I will save myself from two pests, hurry and indecision.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will have a quiet half hour all by myself and relax. During this half hour sometime, I will try and get a better perspective of my life.

JUST FOR TODAY
I will be unafraid. Especially I will not be afraid to enjoy what is beautiful, and to believe that as I give to the world, so the world will give to me.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

That's really nice V, great idea!

I'm glad we are talking about positive thoughts, I agree that positive thinking is crucial to recovery. It's something I struggle with, but I find a lot of reminders here.

At the beginning of this year, we started keeping a family gratitude (and art) journal. Each evening we all get in the same room and everyone says something they're grateful for. It's a very casual operation, we just yell it out. I write the list of things on one page of a journal, then I hand it over to my daughter to decorate both pages. We've managed to do it most days this month, and it's turning into a really cool project. It forces us to think of something positive each day and share it with each other. And the art is really special. She draws pictures of our family and stuff.

I found that I really started to want recovery after we had done that for a couple weeks. Maybe just a coincidence, but maybe it helped shift my mind to the positive.

Speaking of family, I'm at my moms house in the country for the weekend. I'm cooking dinner while my mom and daughter play. They're having a blast, I'm finally starting to relax, my husband is at home embarking on what will surely be a two day video game immersion, everybody's happy. It's all good.

And when I can get to a proper computer, I will show you guys a picture of the tear-inducing rainbow I saw on my drive up here. It was the most intense, complete rainbow I've ever seen. It was right over the burn area. Pretty incredible.

Conquest I'm so sorry this is sucking so much. You're really hanging in there, and you can always vent here.

Love to all!
Old 01-16-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

That's just beautiful Briar ~ the family gratitude journal.

Can't wait to see that rainbow! ♥
Old 01-16-2016, 06:42 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I love the idea of a family gratitude journal. I wonder if my guys would be into it... I've got a running list on my phone that I look over and add to randomly. It'd be nice to commit daily as a family.

And the Just for Today poem was exactly what I needed to hear right now. Thanks yall! Off to bed for me. It seems as though my swelling has gone down a little. Im hoping to wake up feeling more like myself.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I love the Octsobers; what a very special Class.

Goodnight, all.

See you tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Good morning gang and happy Sunday....a good day for a major push for positivity.

My son's New Years trip to NY really got him all jacked up about moving up there after this second (should have been third) college year is completed. My anxiety goes through the roof about it of course and I explain for the millionth time that it'd be wise to invest another couple years or so in college as the opportunity is there and it won't be this easy later. He says that he'll only be this age once and doesn't want to waste it being somewhere he's not happy. (This kid has it made around here btw).

So now I may be willing to help him pack and let's get on with this. I've clearly explained that he is old enough to make these decisions but with that comes the responsibility for the financial consequences. I'm not going to subsidize. With that established, I'll be emotionally supportive for sure.

To practice my positivity......maybe a move like this will be a great learning experience and just what he needs!
Old 01-17-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

So much good stuff here. Love the quotes Venus and the journal Briar. Arbor, "don't look back, you're not going that way" is a favorite of mine. You sure can change the future, LOL. Conquest, mend quickly. Mark, our kids don't always make the choices we would, but it's their choice. I like that you are not going to subsidize. Last Sunday with DD. Most of her friends have gone back to school, so we've been spending a lot of time together. Are any of you watching "Making a Murderer" documentary on Netflix? Really good.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

BD, I have wanted to see that, but I canceled my Netflix subscription. I've heard it's really good though.

Mark, Allowing him to go with the understanding that he'll be responsible for the financial difference seems fair with logical consequences. It's got to be a tough decision, but that sounds like the perfect balance of living the dream while remaining in the real world. You're a good father to respect his wishes while maintaining the boundaries.

Looking and feeling a bit more like myself this morning with very little pain. Woohoo! I'm hoping to be up and about a little more today. Even laundry sounds like fun at this point. Lol
Old 01-17-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Our sweet friend, Soberwolf, posted this on the newcomers board. It gave me a huge positive boost so I thought I'd pass it along.

19 Awesome Ways My Life Changed In 19 Sober Months. ? HIP SOBRIETY
Old 01-17-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Loved that Conquest, thank you!