Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 25

Old 01-28-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Hi, Conquest.

Enjoy the time with your relative!!!!!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

I have big news, and I'm not sure if it's the right time to share....

Thanks to a wonderful SR friend, I found that I can indeed 'go back' so to speak, and have the career I always wanted.

I know I have been flip-flopping. And I still intend to work in aged care as well, but for now I am officially heading towards a career as a freelance writer/editor/proofreader.

I am enrolled in a Certificate IV in Professional Writing and Editing. Online. Through Open Universities, which is a nationally recognised training institute here, and the certificate is nationally recognised. Which is great on a lot of levels.

I researched for MANY hours....studying is expensive. Anyway, I am heading for my university portal to check in and meet some classmates....I am beyond happy. I really, really get to do it all again....everything I ever wanted to be when I was young is right there in front of me. A few happy tears here.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Venuscat, it is beyond wonderful to see you pursuing your dream!!!!!

I can't wait to hear more!!!!!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

That sounds very exciting, V, and you sound so happy!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Wonderful news V for a wonderful person! Take that sobriety by the horns! You got this!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Goodnight, Octsobers; calling it an early night.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

I knew something was brewing Venus! Your happy news makes me smile. You deserve good things my friend. Let this be the start of many

Congratulations on the great nephew Phoebe. Enjoy your visit Conquest. Goodnight Octobers.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations V - I'm sure you'll do well

D
Old 01-28-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Oh my that's great V! Quite the busy lady you're to be. And what bright chapters are ahead for you.....Congratulations on your decision.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Yes, sorry phoebe love, I stepped on your news. Congratulations on the beautiful new baby boy!

Thank you all very much....it means the world to me to have my family...that's you guys....in my corner.

I also started my volunteer job, and yes, I intend to get a lot busier Mark!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Yay!!! How exciting!!! Your news makes my heart smile, Venus!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

That's fantastic V! So happy for you and proud of you for taking such a huge step toward the life you deserve. And what an excellent choice of careers. Sounds like heaven to a fellow English nerd!

Phoebe congrats on the new arrival! I'm glad you have something positive to focus on after what you've gone through. Life sure is a mixed bag.

Pretty good day over here. Doing a lot of journaling trying to really practice more positive thinking and coping so it will become natural to me. Working to build better habits while I'm well so I'll have a stronger foundation when I'm not.

So far no more cases of stomach flu, fingers crossed! Not sure if we are in the clear, but I'm feeling pretty confident at this point that we are good.

Best to all!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Working to build better habits while I'm well
As Conquest said before, this makes my heart smile...and the rest of me too. I am grinning here.
Briar ~ it is so good to hear that you feel well love! It's wonderful.

The Octsobers are cooking with gas!
Old 01-28-2016, 11:59 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

And Briar, I had no idea this course existed. It's quite new, and I can go on to the Bachelor/Masters if...and we'll see. People need proofers, and editors, and technical writers.....I thought everyone did all of this themselves. It is this lovely little niche career that has come about because so many people have so much they want to say (predominantly online), yet don't necessarily like all of the editing that goes along with it.

Plus, there are magazines and academics and writers and so many others who need proofreaders. And, I get to hone my writing skills. So basically this is like Christmas for me. A lot of Christmases actually.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:23 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Good morning gang and happy Friday. It's nice to be up and getting all energized as I read about the nice things going on with the Octsober team. The coffee helps too.

Wishing each of you the best day!

Gym time
Old 01-29-2016, 02:24 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Good morning Mark.
Enjoy your gym time.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

SERIOUSLY....the second huntsman in my bedroom today?
I was pleased with how well I dispatched the first one outside, but I just lost the second one, and I want to go to bed.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

This is for you Venus.... http://www.buzzfeed.com/jennaguillau...end#.vwwQB5Pe2
Old 01-29-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
And Briar, I had no idea this course existed. It's quite new, and I can go on to the Bachelor/Masters if...and we'll see. People need proofers, and editors, and technical writers.....I thought everyone did all of this themselves. It is this lovely little niche career that has come about because so many people have so much they want to say (predominantly online), yet don't necessarily like all of the editing that goes along with it.

Plus, there are magazines and academics and writers and so many others who need proofreaders. And, I get to hone my writing skills. So basically this is like Christmas for me. A lot of Christmases actually.
A close friend of mine was doing just this kind of work, V. She had been out for a long time, raising kids, and had a big battle with breast cancer as well. She is well now, but took her time, enjoying life and her children, after that. So, as a former editor, she started in at some blog freelance editing, and it grew, got her some references and she now has a full time job as a copy editor for a major clothing company. All within about 2-3 years time.

YGG!
Old 01-29-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Good points Phoebe. I have a friend as well I went to school with that has her own freelance editorial business. Seems as if there's always a market for that kinda thing. I think we can all tell here just from your posts V that this is something you were meant to do.