Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 421 (permalink)  
obxpaul

Fell off the wagon, the AV and my weakness prevailed. Drank a bottle of merlot while cooking and socializing. The silver lining is I did not feel good the whole time - inflamed face, buzzed out - it basically sucked.
Back to square one, ore resolved than ever because being a calm, happy person beats being a drunk, even a happy drunk.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:07 PM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I need to stop drinking. I don't know what else to do...I would love some advice. Prescription medication makes me very ill. I don't know what to do...
I wish I had the perfect answer. Tonight, I am asking myself how I am going to stay clean and sober tomorrow. First, I will not buy any. When I get off work, I am going to eat a big meal. I will hang out here. If I hit a real tough spot, I will call my daughter, who knows what I am doing. If I start feeling desperate, I will go to a meeting, even though I hate them.

So, that is my plan. What kind of plan can you create for yourself? It really is helpful to have one.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:13 PM
  # 423 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by obxtacy313 View Post
Fell off the wagon, the AV and my weakness prevailed. Drank a bottle of merlot while cooking and socializing. The silver lining is I did not feel good the whole time - inflamed face, buzzed out - it basically sucked.
Back to square one, ore resolved than ever because being a calm, happy person beats being a drunk, even a happy drunk.
I am sorry to hear it but glad you are back.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 424 (permalink)  

I am home from work and ready for bed. Day 2 is done.

I hope my homies here sleep well and wake up strong, or have a great day, depending on location.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Patricia - hmmmm. I think a psychiatrist is in order. They can prescribe meds. Maybe a therapist later after some progress with a psychiatrist. I saw a post on another thread where you talked about your son and you maybe having mental illness. Anti-depressants make you ill. There has to be something you can take. How bout like Xanax for anxiety ? I hear Xanax is addictive but I never got addicted. I found myself using it when I would wake up in the middle of the night with my workload on my mind. I had to get some sleep! I use about one script a year.

I have a friend who's kinda out there... He got on Zoloft and Xanax and is a new person! He takes the Xanax as prescribed (3x day). It's only been about 5 months. I'll be curious if he gets addicted. He said he doesn't care if he does, as long as it helps and he'll just keep taking it.

How bout supplements? Can you take them? Maybe google these or visit a health supplement store and talk to them.

I strongly feel that with the right meds you'll be good. And I'm not big on meds. When I take calcium it makes me nauseous. I make sure I eat first and I just wait thru the nausea (whereas my sister won't even take it because of the nausea).

Another thread is talking about neuroplacisity (sp?). I'm looking into that tonight.

And finally, mind-body relaxation/mindfulness/meditation. That's what I'm gonna do right now!

Take care.

Olivia
Old 01-10-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 426 (permalink)  

My day one again-
Old 01-10-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 427 (permalink)  

Hiya Nic. Welcome back.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 428 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyHuman View Post
Hiya Nic. Welcome back.
Thanks so much x
Old 01-10-2016, 09:57 PM
  # 429 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by strugglingJim View Post
If I was going to get one book to read to help me, what would that be?
I got a lot out of Allen Carr's book. mentioned above.

Originally Posted by emme99 View Post
Hi everyone,
Today is day 7. I am feeling okay. I started meditation and ordered two books that were recommended in this class. I haven't received the books yet I just followed some videos to get started.

Someone posted their daily plan on another thread and I did a similar one with some modifications and posted it on my refrigerator. I need to get a book or something so I can check off when each item are completed each day, meditation, exercise, budget (writing down when I spend each day and on what), etc.

My dad called earlier and my mom has been battling health issues since last July and she was admitted back into the hospital today. She will probably only be in for a day or two but it is just something I am having a hard time with right now. I don't really have any desire to drink though so I suppose that is good.

I hope everyone is doing well and will keep those struggling in my thoughts.

Have a great Monday everyone
Prayers for your mom Emme - and I hope she's home again soon

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I need to stop drinking. I don't know what else to do...I would love some advice. Prescription medication makes me very ill. I don't know what to do...
It's hard to really give advice because 'anxiety' means so many different things, Patricia.

I am confident that not drinking will help give you a consistent emotional level, in time - but I'm sorry it's so rough now.

Do discuss your medication issues with your Dr - if I remember right you have benzoes in the mix somewhere right? That really needs a Dr's input IMO.

D
Old 01-10-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  

Welcome Nic

I just got home from work. Wrapping up day 3. I got some real things done today and I feel good about it. Oof. I wish I could stop over thinking though.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  

Starting day six here.

How is everyone? It's Monday morning where I am, and crying has progressed to irritated beyond belief.

I've also woken up with three coldsores (I'm not sure what you call them,in the US... Fever blisters?) which hurt like hell.

Probably a symptom of dealing with my stress and emotions instead of drinking through them.

Old 01-11-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Everyone sitting around father inlaws deathbed. He started what I think is the death rattle yesterday afternoon. . I'm at home with youngest son. Torture is just torture. I hate for people to suffer.
My plan for not drinking- prayer, learn to play the tape, like y'all are saying ( not sure exactly whT that is), and eat regularly. Gotta make this work.
Sober .
Old 01-11-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 433 (permalink)  

JL2014,
You are so strong. I'm sorry to hear about your Father in law. You can do this. And authentically feeling it will help you heal better in the future. Thinking of you
Old 01-11-2016, 12:43 AM
  # 434 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

Thanks for the warm welcome, y'all.

I'm on my tenth day; my last drink was a glass of champagne to toast the New Year.

I found out something the last two days that was interesting. Yesterday was a crummy, stressful day, and I was an emotional basketcase for a good ninety minutes of it. Near the end of the night I caught myself thinking, You've had a rough day, grab a six-pack and relax at home tonight. Of course, I didn't.

Tonight's shift was much better; I've found a fine, if delicate, emotional balance and managed to stay there all day with minimal fuss. So what happens at the end of the day? Yep -- What a great day -- sitting down and having a couple would be the perfect cap for it. Of course, I didn't.

But it put into stark relief something I've known intellectually, but never really observed in action before: the rationalization of the alcoholic brain, pointing to whatever external condition, good or bad, as a rationale to drink. This clearly implies that external events are perhaps irrelevant to sobriety in the end, and that inner conditions matter most of all.

Last night was the first real temptation I had to say, "Aw, screw it" -- and I feel good knowing that I can tell myself "no" and mean it. I'll take every little success I can find, right now.

Last edited by Thumpalumpacus; 01-11-2016 at 12:44 AM. Reason: clarity, and spelling.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:20 AM
  # 435 (permalink)  

Really excited to begin Day 3! Today will be a very long, stressful day but I am determined to make my way through it.

Work beckons...hope everyone has a wonderful day!
Old 01-11-2016, 02:34 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Everyone sitting around father inlaws deathbed. He started what I think is the death rattle yesterday afternoon. . I'm at home with youngest son. Torture is just torture. I hate for people to suffer.
My plan for not drinking- prayer, learn to play the tape, like y'all are saying ( not sure exactly whT that is), and eat regularly. Gotta make this work.
Sober .
JL.... Will be thinking of you today and the hardship you're going through. Sounds like you're doing an amazing job by looking after your younger son amnd keeping sober - putting him ahead of yourself.
Sending you positive vibes all the way. Please check in later...
Old 01-11-2016, 02:36 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  

But it put into stark relief something I've known intellectually, but never really observed in action before: the rationalization of the alcoholic brain, pointing to whatever external condition, good or bad, as a rationale to drink.

-thumpa, that's exactly what I was having problems putting into words! Having a drink or six is an accompaniment to anything in my world.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention that I was able to get some decent sleep last night. Winded down my evening with a strong cup of chamomile and old Columbo episodes. I had to get up early today for a meeting so I know I'll be tired tonight. Going to go the tea route again!
Old 01-11-2016, 03:11 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

I'm not sure what the etiquette is on forums like this. I don't want to seem like I've ignored people but I haven't got to the point I can remember names to personally comment. I do read all the posts!

I didn't have the best of weekends. Me and OH are struggling to get along and had another massive row yesterday. He's out of work and I am tired of the stress of trying to support our family (there are 5 of us ) on my own (I'm self employed so don't have a regular income). Not only that but he doesn't do anything round the house which drives me mental and just gets me feeling worthless and annoyed so I avoid him and then he gets hurt because I dont want to be around him. During the row yesterday he said I'm just upset because I should be earning more. He's right and it hit a nerve. I've got a lot of qualifications in my field but am useless at finding new clients.

I'm not going to drink but ended up eating loads of unhealthy food yesterday (which is my number 2 go to after booze). Meant I broke my healthy eating run. What I find is I will turn to food until that no longer works and then I will switch back to alcohol. I woke up feeling really low this morning so I'm just trying to get through today, hopefully I'll have the energy for the gym later and then have an early night.

I've been turning to youtube a lot - I find comfort in the videos on there.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers out for you and your family JL.

D