Class Of January 2016 Support Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Clear cut. Will read your quote when the cravings hit hard
Old 01-10-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Thompalumpacus & Curlync

congrats to Struggling Jim tinkerbell and Obxtacy on those milestones!

D
Old 01-10-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strugglingJim View Post
day 7, just trying to survive, no thoughts of drinking, going to watch the game with a friend later, but I'm so out of sorts its going to be tough. The moment I open my eyes in the morning the anxiety hits hard.
Thoughts are with you Jim.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Winding down day 2, thankful for the support I've found here! Very tired since I had such a rotten night last night and hoping for some decent sleep tonight.

Day 3 will be a long one but I will make it!

Please, all hang in there for another day...
Old 01-10-2016, 04:00 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

I also know that I need a plan- a real plan. I am scared out of my mind and want to be sober but I don't want to be stop drinking because it is what I know and how what I like -- it is a love/hate affair that I have to break up with... .[/QUOTE]

I can relate completely. Wine has become my best friend and my worst enemy all rolled into one. It's scary to contemplate life without it.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

So I guess I'm now in the January class. My plan: to check in daily in January class. Read the big book. Learn more about cravings and triggers - how to avoid them and how to get through them if they do happen. My biggest problem is getting so stuck on planning on drinking that I can't get out of the mindset and obviously drink.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Day 7!!!!! 1 week! I love reaching one week because on day 1 the though of reaching 1 week seems impossible and so far away. I feel great! I'm eating way too much sugar I need to cut down on that, but most importantly I'm not drinking. Emotionally I feel much more stable, anxiety has passed. I have hope for the future!
Have a great week everyone!
Old 01-10-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats shantilove
Old 01-10-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

If I was going to get one book to read to help me, what would that be?
Old 01-10-2016, 05:36 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Day 7..... shantilove, I echo your thoughts.

Went to AA last night. Good people, good vibe. Not entirely my cup of tea but I'll be there next week (hopefully).

Feel good. Best in a while. Cannot afford to fall into complacency at this stage so I shall read the posts through the day.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shantilove View Post
Day 7!!!!! 1 week! I love reaching one week because on day 1 the though of reaching 1 week seems impossible and so far away. I feel great! I'm eating way too much sugar I need to cut down on that, but most importantly I'm not drinking. Emotionally I feel much more stable, anxiety has passed. I have hope for the future! Have a great week everyone!
I'm currently experiencing anxiety, I hate it the way it makes me feel. But reading your post has given me a little hope and calmness. It also is a reminder that when I feel great on being sober at a week, not to succumb to the AV because it'll land me right back to my current anxious state.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
Today is day 7. I am feeling okay. I started meditation and ordered two books that were recommended in this class. I haven't received the books yet I just followed some videos to get started.

Someone posted their daily plan on another thread and I did a similar one with some modifications and posted it on my refrigerator. I need to get a book or something so I can check off when each item are completed each day, meditation, exercise, budget (writing down when I spend each day and on what), etc.

My dad called earlier and my mom has been battling health issues since last July and she was admitted back into the hospital today. She will probably only be in for a day or two but it is just something I am having a hard time with right now. I don't really have any desire to drink though so I suppose that is good.

I hope everyone is doing well and will keep those struggling in my thoughts.

Have a great Monday everyone
Old 01-10-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Welcome everybody new and yay to all of us staying sober!

SoberinSyracuse - good luck with your program. It sounds really interesting. Please post when you can and let us know how it's going. Xo

Jim - I really liked "I Want To Change My Life, dealing with depression, anxiety and addiction" by Steven Melemis (Amazon) but you have to be ready to get into mind-body relaxation and stuff.
Allen Carr "The Easy Way To Stop Drinking" was decent but it's just common sense. I've read a lot of books on the subject. I bought. "Rewired" but have not read it yet.
The Melemis book has lots of good stuff.

Love everyone's post even if I don't address each person. It all helps. I work from my phone too.

CC - where is Soberwolff's link about breathing techniques?

Another day down. I say 20 but two wines NYE so 10 days for me!!! Yippee!

Olivia
Old 01-10-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jillian2563 View Post
I'm currently experiencing anxiety, I hate it the way it makes me feel. But reading your post has given me a little hope and calmness. It also is a reminder that when I feel great on being sober at a week, not to succumb to the AV because it'll land me right back to my current anxious state.
Jillian I am experiencing anxiety and panic too.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Patricia - I was just gonna ask where you were and here you are!

So what do you do when you experience panic and anxiety? How do you work through it?
Old 01-10-2016, 06:16 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivia2011 View Post
Jim - I really liked "I Want To Change My Life, dealing with depression, anxiety and addiction" by Steven Melemis (Amazon) but you have to be ready to get into mind-body relaxation and stuff.
This is one of the books I ordered You can also look inside and see the first few pages on Amazon, which I like.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:18 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Patricia - I was just gonna ask where you were and here you are! So what do you do when you experience panic and anxiety? How do you work through it?
Patricia - I'm sorry you are dealing with that too, it's the most awful feeling in the world.

How I work through it is to tell myself I'm over thinking things, that I need to calm down. I try different breathing techniques and pray. Reading here tonight has really help. I didn't even realize my anxiety went away until just now because I was so engaged in some threads here.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Patricia - I was just gonna ask where you were and here you are!

So what do you do when you experience panic and anxiety? How do you work through it?
I need to stop drinking. I don't know what else to do...I would love some advice. Prescription medication makes me very ill. I don't know what to do...
Old 01-10-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

Tomorrow is my quit date. I start detox/treatment. Whether you're secular or spiritual, pray for me. My name is Alexis.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Will do Alexis!