Notices

Class Of January 2016 Support Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Welcome StrugglingJim and everyone else.

Jim and anyone struggling with anxiety for me exercise is the best thing for anxiety. Even just a really casual stroll helps a lot, especially if its in nature, eg a park or the beach.

I just watched a Ted talk that bought tears to my eyes, about an African American man who did jail time twice and was addicted to drugs and has since put himself through college and is a psychologist helping drug addicts. It was called Freedom from Self Doubt by B.J. Davis.

"We do have a choice whether we want our past to define us or refine us"...... B.J. Davis. That is very powerful for me.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

I am off work and was just fine. Did not tell anyone to get bent.

Day one is ending better than it began. Night everyone.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  

StrugglingJim:

I am also alone, and it saddens me and terrifies me. I've lost my entire family and my husband. I moved across the country to a place where everything is new and I don't have many people who even really know me. I'm in here as much as possible for support and to get through these dark times. I understand how you feel.

But we know there's a lot of steadiness and strength to be gained as a result of not throwing our chemistry off with alcohol. I've only really taken a couple of significant drinking breaks before this but I'm trying to hang on to that recollection to get me through...
Old 01-10-2016, 12:16 AM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Simon, alcoholic. 2016.01.09. Relapse after 17 months. It's okay, though. At least, I'm back. At most, my life could change. Look forward to getting to know you.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:40 AM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Hi griffy. Welcome back.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:41 AM
  # 366 (permalink)  

It is almost 2 am, and I am still awake. I have to be up in 4 hours. Arg.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:24 AM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Day 1.
Being accountable.
Not looking back.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:06 AM
  # 368 (permalink)  

My wife is accepting the fact that her father on hospice, isn't going to get better. She giving him morphine drops now for the first time as some sort of bad pain or discomfort has come up. It's heartbreaking for her. Gotta stay strong for her and not drink. I found a stash I didn't know I had hidden - did it while drunk I suppose. Not a lot of it, but nonetheless I set myself back, like a fool.
Moving on.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:20 AM
  # 369 (permalink)  

JL -How are you feeling today? Hope you're okay.

Just woke up with mil mild anxiety at how rude I may have been last night. Then realised that a)they probably don't remember or care very much and b)this is the mildest Sunday morning anxiety I've had in years.

Day Five though, early days.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:22 AM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SillyHuman View Post
It is almost 2 am, and I am still awake. I have to be up in 4 hours. Arg.
I feel your pain. I love an eight hour sleep, even more after a session... Been averaging six. Doesn't get that the neighbours who are a couple have been having a lot of 'fun' recently... And I can't drink to block it out. The gits.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone- so nice to be waking up sober and with 4 days under my belt.
Looks like my FIL and DH each drank a 6 pack last night and stayed up until 2 am watching movies. Gulp. I am so glad I was in bed by 9 and up at 5:15, ready to tackle the day!
Happy Sunday...
~P
Old 01-10-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Joining this thread too, good morning...day 11 here. Can't say I'm looking forward to going back to work tomorrow. I've been ironing my clothes the night before now and waking up with a clear head, ready to start the day....feels great. To quote U2, It's a beautiful day, don't let it get away!
Old 01-10-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Good morning day 10. I came into this weekend with great plans but got hammered by the AV. Spent much more time on SR than I had anticipated, but it worked. I did not give in. I think, however, that it is not extremely productive to question this journey while fighting with the AV. I am going to add that to my plan. Save the thinking and questioning part to the stronger days.

Off to church. Happy Sunday folks.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 374 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

I start treatment tomorrow. Tomorrow is my quit date. I'm looking forward to it since I don't enjoy alcohol any more.

I'm still pretty intimidated. Seems inconceivable to never drink again, but I know others do it. So why don't I think I can do it, too.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Glad to see you all hear working so hard on your sobriety. I'm feeling at a more solid place now. But still guarding myself from AV heavily. I have found when I am over a few weeks sober I usually have one or two days of AV being a total pain and then a few days break. I'm hopeful today is a break day because yesterday early afternoon was a bit brutal.
I'm so looking forward to watching Downtown Abbey sober tonight.
I'll likely be around a lot today.
to you all!
Old 01-10-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 376 (permalink)  
obxpaul

Day 7 here, probably will be a test. Watching my team play sober for the first time in a few years. My AV will be speaking loudly. Going to stay busy before the game, maybe get in a workout.
Still feeling really good, enjoy waking up clear headed and not in a fog. sleeping better, once I get to sleep - need a plan for that button an overwhelmer.
Everyone have a great day!
Old 01-10-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Beginning Day 2. Yesterday went very well and I am so thankful. I had no cravings and got quite a bit done around the house. There was only one problem. l fell asleep like a baby at 10:30 or so but woke at 12:30 and could NOT fall back asleep. Finally dozed off at about 6am and got a couple hours sleep.

I think I need to exercise. Maybe a walk with my pups later when the snow stops. The Husky will love it, the Setter, not so much, 😂
Old 01-10-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 378 (permalink)  

day 7, just trying to survive, no thoughts of drinking, going to watch the game with a friend later, but I'm so out of sorts its going to be tough. The moment I open my eyes in the morning the anxiety hits hard.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Good morning. Lots of new members I see.

It's interesting to see how many people 'don't enjoy' alcohol anymore. It's merely become a dependence, not an indulgence or a pleasure. I can relate to that. I'd say that I caught myself drinking things I did not like the taste or feel of about 60% of the time in the past year.

Clearly I was just trying to make this past year disappear and get to where I am now.

I'm in a better place, if even a much lonelier place. Introspection I think will be complemented by sobriety.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 380 (permalink)  

StrugglingJim,

What's your plan to avoid drinking during the game?