Class of December 2015 Pt 2

Old 12-10-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope everyone is having a peaceful day afternoon or evening

Old 12-10-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Nice conversation gang!

So, yeah, I'm ironing out day (9). I pulled-off 10 days and was derailed during a vacation in New Orleans over labor day.

(10) more in September through October and derailed having dinner out with friends. (20) back in May through June (no rhyme or reason for that one) as well as sober days here and there throughout this year. I have to go back to August through November of last year in which I compiled 74. Got into an argument with the wife as well as having it my mind I was going to tread myself to some Tequila..(of all things).

So, like CuteNGay said...."lets keep at it and stay strong".....
Old 12-10-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well I'm on day two again. We had a power cut in the city and I started drinking again as 'something to do'. Completely stupid. I'm currently waiting at a drug and alcohol meeting place to chat to someone about this. I hope this will help keep me away from drink until my next AA meeting.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
I'm back. I don't know why I torture myself. Day 1 and I need to get a couple days back under my belt before Saturday because I don't think I can make it through then - hosting a surprise milestone bday. I feel like I need the drinks - pre-party drinks - just for the energy. Did anyone else drink for the energy sometimes? So stupid - most people will joke that a glass of wine makes them so sleepy (ha.ha.). But I could clean my house and fold laundry and go go go with a few glasses of wine. Ugh! Again, the torture. Sometimes I feel like I am punishing myself for some unknown...
Nice first post going on to Part 2. It's tradition on SR to make it celebratory........

Something to put your mind as ease.....you're here with us!
Old 12-10-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good morning class. Double digits! woootwooot ! Ten days. I too drank for the energy. In hind sight I have accomplished a lot in the last few days. Things I have been putting off because I was drunk and didn't care. I have tons of energy now. Starting to sleep better too and that helps a lot.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hey Team!

There is so much good advice here. Thank you everyone!

So I took some of that advice and had a great day 1. Ubn: I stayed positive, and it worked... Thanks!

atxjoshua: I took what you wrote about planning family time to heart, and had a great night with the family. We went driving (something that I couldn't do drinking) and looked at Christmas lights, then went out for Frozen Yogurt. The kids were so excited at the whole night, it was a great experience.

Thanks everyone for the posts. We're all in this together!

WE CAN DO THIS!
Old 12-10-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
I'm back. I don't know why I torture myself. Day 1 and I need to get a couple days back under my belt before Saturday because I don't think I can make it through then - hosting a surprise milestone bday. I feel like I need the drinks - pre-party drinks - just for the energy. Did anyone else drink for the energy sometimes? So stupid - most people will joke that a glass of wine makes them so sleepy (ha.ha.). But I could clean my house and fold laundry and go go go with a few glasses of wine. Ugh! Again, the torture. Sometimes I feel like I am punishing myself for some unknown...
I actually experienced this myself. I would end up having a few to keep going rather than acknowledge that I was tired. Somehow it has become socially unacceptable to be tired. Instead of overriding those feels, I am trying to honour them and really look at what I need for my best self. Sometimes just acknowledging I am tired is enough - I accept that I am, be a bit more mellow, and if necessary, leave early. (Also I usually scoot out without goodbyes - if the party is already in full swing no one will even notice and then you get to avoid all the slurred advice "yoossh'ud stay...burb...a liddle lonnnger."

Since you are hosting - whisper to a few people that people are thinking of heading out to a pub/bar to get the rumour started
Old 12-10-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Applekat,

I totally drank for "the energy" as well. I think what Dee said is spot on. That was probably our addiction.

We're probably sluggish and down because of being hungover, then a few drinks make us feel more "normal." That's why it feels like we have more energy. Kind of the opposite of a normal drinker.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

There is a really good chart out there that explains the highs & lows of how alcohol affects our chemical levels differently than normal drinkers. Basically alcohol produces extra and then when we dont give our brain that extra boost, we crave the alcohol to bring it back up, thus giving us energy.

I am finally going to the doctor this afternoon. I am still have abdominal pains. No fever, no vomiting, just pain. I am wondering if its bc I am actually eating & my body doesn't know how to digest food anymore, its been so focused on alcohol.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry I'm dropping out - is too much right now - maybe next year - good luck everyone
Old 12-10-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
ubntubnt , Sleepydots Thanks .
We are going to find out if they can do this .

I cant have my mood going down near the break which is actually between Christmas and New year .

I think the alcohol has left me with a feeling on not being so on top of the situation like I used to .

Upwards and onwards though ,I'm not staying in this low mood as I know if I do it will feed other unwanted thoughts .

Looking at the bigger picture I at least have a job and i'm sober .
If you are UK then single time and forced bank holidays not legal....speak to your union or straight out refuse and let them know you think its against the rules.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Worried75 View Post
Sorry I'm dropping out - is too much right now - maybe next year - good luck everyone
Don't wait, the time will never be just right.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi, all.

Checking in real quick. Mainly to keep myself accountable. I'm on day 9 and I really want to drink today. Family issues have been building over the last several days and it's come to a head today.

I'm trying to go through the proper channels but it's just not working. I've just eaten a healthy lunch, got a case of mineral water on hand, hard candy nearby but the desire to go get alcohol is still stronger than I'd like.

I won't drink today. I WON'T drink today. Ugh.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Stick around if you can. But SR will be here when you're ready! I keep coming back and I hope you do, too.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Camryn474 View Post
Hi, all.

Checking in real quick. Mainly to keep myself accountable. I'm on day 9 and I really want to drink today. Family issues have been building over the last several days and it's come to a head today.

I'm trying to go through the proper channels but it's just not working. I've just eaten a healthy lunch, got a case of mineral water on hand, hard candy nearby but the desire to go get alcohol is still stronger than I'd like.

Stay strong Cam. I wish I had. You will never regret NOT drinking.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Try to put this into perspective....this is from SR, not some song or movie

You can run but you cannot hide. I tried many, many times....

Talk to us.......what is going on?

GhostFace is right on the money!
Old 12-10-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Camryn474 View Post
Hi, all.

Quick....focus on something. The AV has it's sight locked on.

Focus and expand on something you love....take some deep breathes.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Stay strong Camryn. I understand family issues all to well, and have drank many times over it. And it never solved a darn thing.

Here's a crazy thought running through my head. Yesterday, my day 1, was 12/9. That's 2 days before a childhood friend of mine's birthday, who I have a deep resentment towards. I hate that my sober date is so close to his birthday, that drinking at a future date to reset my sober day is actually rattling around in my head. I guess that's alcoholic thinking.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

What GhostFace said. Stick around. It gets better.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Applekat, you're right. I won't be upset tomorrow when I'm not puking in the shower. I'd be upset if I was!

Neverthought, deep breaths is helping to smother the anxiety. I think I'm going to find a book to read. That should help focus my mind.

Rio, drinking at my family never helped all the other times I tried it either. I've had those crazy types of thoughts too. Wanting my sobriety date to be on the day of my favorite number, wanting a date that is easy to remember, etc. The alcoholic mind doesn't make much sense when you shed some light on it. Makes sense in my head though.

Okay, hot bath and a book for me. Hopefully this will wane sooner than later.