Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 5

Old 12-02-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Morning guys! I just sent out our "success list"! Everyone is doing so well! We are a determined class!!! There are 6 people I haven't heard from in over a week. I hope they are ok! They have a > next to their name. Let me know if you hear from them.

The accountability of this class really helps me! Yesterday when I had that huge craving, one of the things that got me through it was thinking that if I drink I will let all you guys down because I send out the class list with sober days each morning. Ha. Hey...whatever works! ;-)

Everyone is doing so well! We are all experiencing ups & downs but that's normal, right? Nothing can be as bad as drinking!

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one still having cravings. (Sorry you guys are still having them though). It sounds like if we stay sober they will eventually disappear. (As long as we keep working on our sobriety).

Busy day ahead...I will check in later! Have a great sober day!
Old 12-02-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Got some bad news today. Well, not really bad... Just upsetting. All I can think about is how a bottle of wine would remove the worries and put me to sleep. But I'm reminding myself that before the sleep will be some embarrassing phone calls and behavior and after the sleep will be a great amount of anxiety. So, today I'm coping by making breakfast and resting peacefully.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Thismorning got off to a bad start. I ran into a coworker that whitnessed my brunken rampage at the bar last friday (the one where i blacked out ) . He was poking fun, and its no biggie...accept when i said i am done with drinking he was all "yeah whatever".
It is exactly the response i would expect but still is very deflating.
I am still focused on the prize and not feeling the temptation to drink, i just wish it wasnt so "normal" in the small town i live in to be like this. I wish the people i run into daily could respect what iam trying to do with with my life.
I know they are just trying to make me feel better about my habit but it is like a slap in the face.
Just wanted to get it off my chest
Old 12-02-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Thx KIR! Years ago I was on an antidepressant called Paxil and I gained 50 lbs in a year. Now I'm on Zoloft and didn't gain any weight from it. I actually lost weight on it before I started drinking heavily then I.gained from ALCOHOL! Ugh-
Day 18 and feeling better than yesterday - wife told me this morning to smile and keep the momentum going - the day has definitely been better so far.

The above tho Kiki has now got my mind racing into overdrive - GP started me on Fluoxetine yesterday - one of my worst obsessions is weight and gaining would mean utter meltdown at present - I am strict with diet and exercise (majority of the time) to the point of obsessive.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I woke up with this horrible anxiety. After all my advice about HALT yesterday I'm having huge cravings myself and it's not HALT. I'm worrying too much. "What if" and all the catastrophic thinking and worse case scenarios. I can't stop thinking and worrying. I know that alcohol is only going to make my anxiety worse. I just can't seem to calm down by myself but alcohol is not the solution....
Old 12-02-2015, 06:39 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone,
Starting my day 18 with a cup of coffee and mickeys Christmas movie with the kids.
My dog has been limping since yesterday so keeping an eye on that- a bit worried..
I got a ton of sleep last night. I slept from 9:30pm to about 7am and only had to get up once with my 2 year old.
Loving all the check ins this morning!
Not much to do today and it's pretty gloomy outside so we will see how the day goes.
Everyone have a good day and fight those cravings. It sounds like everyone is doing really well all in all.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Good morning Patricia68, I know it's easier said than done, but keep telling yourself that worrying about the unknown is a waste of energy. Personally, I think it is your AV pulling every last trick to get you to throw in the towel. Worry is really a mind trip, it doesn't help anything, it doesn't prevent or solve anything, and it is exhausting. Try to focus on today and today only! In the realm of everything, today is all that matters. Deep breaths, you can do this!
Old 12-02-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Hey tatersalad, you'll get through this, it doesn't even matter what others think, the only thing that matters is what you do today. Eventually, the embarrassment of previous events will fade, and as you emerge from your cocoon, the beautiful butterfly that you become will be the only image that you portray. Hang in there and hold your head high!
Old 12-02-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Checking in for today...
It's around 6:40AM and I'm drinking some coffee. I will have a little breakfast and then go off to the gym again today to do some cycling. Wednesday is looking like a pretty good day for me so far. It feels weird not having to stress over much the last couple of days. I finally feel like I'm moving forward in my life with the hope of possibly getting into the UCLA graduate school program for next fall. It was something I wanted to do for a long time but had to always delay it due to certain events. My mom's battle with a terminal disease the last several years before she passed away in 2013 put a lot of emotional and mental strain on me. I have one thing going for me though, I live alone except for my cat, three parrots, and tarantula. It allows me the freedom to have a very simple schedule without anybody bothering me. There are drawbacks to living alone though. My binge drinking increased tremendously while living alone because nobody was around. that gets to be extremely dangerous because if something were to happen to me, nobody would be there to call 911 or help me. I was always worried that drinking too much one night would result me having a very sad pathetic William Holden like death. If you guys don't already know, William Holden was this classic film star from like the late 40s till around the 70s when he made Network. He unfortunately was an alcoholic and he ended up dying in the early 80s from drinking too much and then somehow cracking his head and bleeding to death on the floor. I think it took a while before someone found him dead. I read about it a long time ago and I always thought about that when I was drinking. Anyway, happy Wednesday to everyone and please if you have cravings don't hesitate to post on here because maybe some of us can help you ease the cravings.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Patricia, hang in ther- I get this way a lot. The only thing I can do is force myself to focus on something else or distract myself. I hope you can do something like that and ease the worries a bit.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dallow View Post
Hello team!!! I am going on a four day trip tomorrow but I am not worried, because the people I will be travelling with are not drinkers. Maybe they'll have a glass of wine at dinner, but I am certain I can say no to that (who wants ONE glass anyway? ) I still feel unfocused and a bit anxious. There's just so much confusion. Sometimes I feel like I am losing my mind, while in reality I am in the process of regaining it. Just have to get through each day, I guess. Stay strong, everyone!
Have fun on your trip! Will you still be able to check in here if you need to?
Old 12-02-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FaithfulAndFree View Post
Got some bad news today. Well, not really bad... Just upsetting. All I can think about is how a bottle of wine would remove the worries and put me to sleep. But I'm reminding myself that before the sleep will be some embarrassing phone calls and behavior and after the sleep will be a great amount of anxiety. So, today I'm coping by making breakfast and resting peacefully.
That's always my first thought too! "DRINK! That will make it better KiKi!" No it won't you lying sack of Sh-t AV! It will make things worse AND I will wake up in the morning feeling sick, with shame, guilt, remorse, anxiety, depression and will ATILL have the same problem.

Everything will be ok. Hang in there F&F! You're doing great!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tatersalad View Post
Thismorning got off to a bad start. I ran into a coworker that whitnessed my brunken rampage at the bar last friday (the one where i blacked out ) . He was poking fun, and its no biggie...accept when i said i am done with drinking he was all "yeah whatever". It is exactly the response i would expect but still is very deflating. I am still focused on the prize and not feeling the temptation to drink, i just wish it wasnt so "normal" in the small town i live in to be like this. I wish the people i run into daily could respect what iam trying to do with with my life. I know they are just trying to make me feel better about my habit but it is like a slap in the face. Just wanted to get it off my chest
I understand...I get the same thing. Who cares what other people think...lets do this for ourselves! I'm finding that by me getting sober people are kinda freaking out a little because all the attention isn't on ME anymore. They don't have anyone to gossip about! They finally have to look at THEMSELVES! Yikes!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good morning all! Checking in on Day 39.

Fabat, That's awesome! Kudos to you for taking charge. I loved your post about noticing the beauty of life again.

Kiki, I still get cravings too, though not nearly as many as before. Most recently, my AV will come out of nowhere and say "well, you've made it this long without a drink, so that must mean you don't have a problem after all. This sobriety thing is silly. There are plenty of people who drink as much as you did. Go buy some wine!" And I'm like how delusional are you AV?!? It's like a crazy little demon inside of me!

Keepnitreal, I think it's been proven that people who struggle with depression are more likely to be alcoholics. I've struggled with depression since I was a kid, and alcohol, though it didn't make me happy, was enough to at least keep me numb. It's been a struggle to try to work through that, but I'm finally on a healthy path and at least headed in the right direction.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
Day 18 and feeling better than yesterday - wife told me this morning to smile and keep the momentum going - the day has definitely been better so far. The above tho Kiki has now got my mind racing into overdrive - GP started me on Fluoxetine yesterday - one of my worst obsessions is weight and gaining would mean utter meltdown at present - I am strict with diet and exercise (majority of the time) to the point of obsessive.
I wouldn't be worried RedAndy. I know lots of people on Fluoxetine (aka Prozac) and they didn't gain weight.

The one I was on (Paxil) is notorious for weight gain and severe withdrawal when you try to get off. They had so many lawsuits and complaints that I don't think they prescribe it much anymore. You'll be ok! One of my friends actually LOST weight on Fluoxetine.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Good morning all. I'm starting day five, and I'm really happy about that. I do have a stressful meeting this afternoon and I might have to defend myself a little bit. But I have already purchased everything I need to come home and make a big pot of soup, so I'll just walk right out of that meeting, get in my car, and come home. I do guarantee that it will be hard on me. So wish me luck.

Thank you Kiki for being such a caring cheerleader. I love you you are really keeping track of people.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I woke up with this horrible anxiety. After all my advice about HALT yesterday I'm having huge cravings myself and it's not HALT. I'm worrying too much. "What if" and all the catastrophic thinking and worse case scenarios. I can't stop thinking and worrying. I know that alcohol is only going to make my anxiety worse. I just can't seem to calm down by myself but alcohol is not the solution....
Oh man! I hate anxiety!!! Can you do some deep breathing, take a brisk walk & a warm bath & see how you feel after that? And check back in???
Old 12-02-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SilentCinemaFan View Post
Checking in for today... It's around 6:40AM and I'm drinking some coffee. I will have a little breakfast and then go off to the gym again today to do some cycling. Wednesday is looking like a pretty good day for me so far. It feels weird not having to stress over much the last couple of days. I finally feel like I'm moving forward in my life with the hope of possibly getting into the UCLA graduate school program for next fall. It was something I wanted to do for a long time but had to always delay it due to certain events. My mom's battle with a terminal disease the last several years before she passed away in 2013 put a lot of emotional and mental strain on me. I have one thing going for me though, I live alone except for my cat, three parrots, and tarantula. It allows me the freedom to have a very simple schedule without anybody bothering me. There are drawbacks to living alone though. My binge drinking increased tremendously while living alone because nobody was around. that gets to be extremely dangerous because if something were to happen to me, nobody would be there to call 911 or help me. I was always worried that drinking too much one night would result me having a very sad pathetic William Holden like death. If you guys don't already know, William Holden was this classic film star from like the late 40s till around the 70s when he made Network. He unfortunately was an alcoholic and he ended up dying in the early 80s from drinking too much and then somehow cracking his head and bleeding to death on the floor. I think it took a while before someone found him dead. I read about it a long time ago and I always thought about that when I was drinking. Anyway, happy Wednesday to everyone and please if you have cravings don't hesitate to post on here because maybe some of us can help you ease the cravings.
You are doing so great SCF!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good morning!! Today is day 9!! Feeling good, healthy and so glad not to be hungover! Over the weekend I wrote about an idea I had...create a collage of all the fun things I do sober to replace the pics I have that remind me of a night gone bad bc of binging. I've been shopping around for some type of frame that I could use to hold a bunch of pics...starting now through 2016. Tonight is the first activity to record..an NBA basketball game. Hope you are all doing well!
Old 12-02-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Missy7 View Post
Good morning all. I'm starting day five, and I'm really happy about that. I do have a stressful meeting this afternoon and I might have to defend myself a little bit. But I have already purchased everything I need to come home and make a big pot of soup, so I'll just walk right out of that meeting, get in my car, and come home. I do guarantee that it will be hard on me. So wish me luck. Thank you Kiki for being such a caring cheerleader. I love you you are really keeping track of people.
Keeping track of everyone's sober days helps me stay sober in some weird way. Haha!

You WILL make it today! What kind of soup are you making after work?