Notices

Class of November 2015 Part 5

Old 12-02-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Know how it feels to find a $5 under the couch? Or a peppermint in your pocket?

It feels that way to realize you were off a day on your "day count," and today is actually Day 18 rather than 17!!!

It's tricky when stuff comes up out of the past that you have to deal with. Like a big tab you ran up when you were blowied. Since that relates to drinking, obviously, you want to have a drink to think about how to deal with it. BUT THAT DOESN'T REALLY SOLVE ANYTHING DOES IT.

I just feel like that was something I needed to do, for whatever reason, for all those years. But that time has ended. What do I need to do know (besides not drink)? Who knows.

But I will tell you I'm as busy at work as I've been in a few years. Could it be that I am more effective when not drunk/hung over? Or that people like working with me more when they aren't wondering if I'm a little tipsy?
Old 12-02-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
I am feeling so tired too! My favorite thing is laying on the couch or in bed watching tv with my hubby and my 3 dogs. It's peaceful. I figure I owe it to my body...the cycle of binging and recovering probably made my body work extra hard. Plus I had 3 major surgeries in the last 7 years, gastric bypass in September 2009, tummy tuck in December 2014 and arm lifts at the beginning of this year. My body has been working overtime!! I think rest and finding relaxation and peace is key to our success. We need to take care of ourselves. When we were drinking we weren't listening to our bodies. In my mind knowing and feeling fatigue is s sign that we are connecting with our bodies! So I say...when is it the work day done do I can go home, put on my favorite show and snuggle??
I had gastric bypass in 2010. Never had a major drinking problem before then. But what I've learned about "transfer addiction" since then is frightening!
Old 12-02-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by learntofly View Post
Exactly! When I first stopped drinking, I had a very hard time letting things go. I would just keep replaying my past actions over and over in my head. I felt so incredibly ashamed and guilty and horrible that I had let everyone down.

Reliving the past is a waste. It happened, and there is nothing I can do about it now. Might as well focus on my sobriety and changing my future. It's good to not forget the past, because it reminds us of why we're choosing sobriety, but don't live there.

....seconded. Spot on.

Day 24.....off we go.

Good day all................
Old 12-02-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post
I can't stand the past actions... i want to run away.... the anxiety is massive

I don't think.j can go back home..... oh gawd.....
Hang in there Enfin. Just give it time and let your future actions do the talking for you!

KIR
Old 12-02-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patricia68 View Post
I had a nap and I woke up feeling better. But now the anxiety is back. My hands are shaking and my heart is racing. On top of that I'm beating myself up for wasting my day like this. I know it's ridiculous to worry so much about something I can't control. My AV , my own thoughts, I don't even know what it is...it just feels like I'm wasting a day making myself ill...
Hang in there Patricia.
I pushed myself to work out and then tackled a couple of small things on my to-do list and now I am feeling a bit better. Overload can lead to shutdown for me. What about you? Kiki????
Old 12-02-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
IS THIS BAD?

Only 17 days in and I feel soooo lazy! I stay up late and then in the morning once I get my kids off to school I crawl back in bed with my puppy & kitty & read your posts on this site & post myself, catch up on the news...basically just procrastinate and then go back to sleep. Sometimes I don't get out of bed until 2:00!

I'm just soooo tired all the time. I think my body is trying to catch up from the 2 years of hell I put it through.

On one hand I feel so guilty because I have so much to do &'I keep putting it off until "tomorrow". But on the other hand I think to myself..."hey! I'm exhausted. I'm sober. And I need rest. The LIST will be there tomorrow!"

Thoughts?
It's not bad at all. This takes some time. A friend invited me to a yoga class today, a hatha yoga class, and out of the blue the woman running the practice did a standing position where you raise your toes, lift your arches, and reach upward and she announced that it was a great pose for anxiety and depression. Right then I knew why the yoga class was dropped in my lap.

So go find a yoga class if it's available - there are always beginner classes around - something about the stretching helps with circulation and makes you feel really grounded. The rest of the day is going pretty well, even though I still have the little AV talking to me, but I know I can say "no" all day because I want to try for a delicious night's sleep!

Her main message in the class was about kindness - not just kindness to others, which is easy, but kindness to ourselves. So be kind and allow your laziness if it feels good! : )
Old 12-02-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I did it, went in... kids pleased to see me... at least it's home. I got to be patient. ... work at it! Still sober, don't even want it... there's bottles on the side, but I don't care. Thank you brain! Day 5 in the bag... rock on day 6.... stay strong folks. ....
Old 12-02-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blondsober View Post

It's not bad at all. This takes some time. A friend invited me to a yoga class today, a hatha yoga class, and out of the blue the woman running the practice did a standing position where you raise your toes, lift your arches, and reach upward and she announced that it was a great pose for anxiety and depression. Right then I knew why the yoga class was dropped in my lap.

So go find a yoga class if it's available - there are always beginner classes around - something about the stretching helps with circulation and makes you feel really grounded. The rest of the day is going pretty well, even though I still have the little AV talking to me, but I know I can say "no" all day because I want to try for a delicious night's sleep!

Her main message in the class was about kindness - not just kindness to others, which is easy, but kindness to ourselves. So be kind and allow your laziness if it feels good! : )
Yoga is what I've always wanted to do... no time though! Will have to look into it... well done for trying something new and loving it!
Old 12-02-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry for all the anxieties today guys - I find breathing exercises to be really useful:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...echniques.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...techniqes.html
Old 12-02-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post
I did it, went in... kids pleased to see me... at least it's home. I got to be patient. ... work at it! Still sober, don't even want it... there's bottles on the side, but I don't care. Thank you brain! Day 5 in the bag... rock on day 6.... stay strong folks. ....
So glad you are doing better! Stay strong
Old 12-02-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RedAndy View Post
Day 18 and feeling better than yesterday - wife told me this morning to smile and keep the momentum going - the day has definitely been better so far.

The above tho Kiki has now got my mind racing into overdrive - GP started me on Fluoxetine yesterday - one of my worst obsessions is weight and gaining would mean utter meltdown at present - I am strict with diet and exercise (majority of the time) to the point of obsessive.
Contrary to popular belief, AD's do not "cause" weight gain. What is true is that some of them do increase appetite, which leads to eating more, which leads to weight gain. Calories in vs. Calories out its the only thing that matter (Thermodynamics). Great job everyone! We have a great class.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

All my anxiety today was about my husband's job. I knew there was something going on but he was acting strange and didn't tell me what the problem was.

When he came home I confronted him. He finally told me what's going on. And when I told him I didn't like being lied to or not told the truth he blamed me...I'm too emotional too handle it, I am not compassionate, I always worry about money...and the list goes on.

I'm not going to drink over this but I'm really hurt...
Old 12-02-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Patricia, I'm sorry that your husband is pointing the finger at you. Please don't let it get you down. By staying sober you are doing the one thing that can make positive change in your life. You don't deserve to be blamed for other's problems.

Busy afternoon at work. Glad it's almost time to go home! Hope you all are well... I'll check in before bed!
Old 12-02-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beautifulpines View Post
Hi all - I am having a difficult day - feeling so down about my past actions. But reminding myself that the past is gone and today I am awake, painful as that can feel. Good having my old dog by my side - he's always been there. Thank you for listening.
I know it's hard, I have those emotions all the time, but truth is we can't change the past, all we can do is make sure we have a better and healthier future. I live a life of trying to make living amends and do the best I can. Wishing you peace!
Old 12-02-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Had a funny day. I didn't sleep at all last night and ended up sleeping most of the day which isn't great (off this week).

But.......I woke up feeling great and went out with my son which is something I would never have done at night! I could tell how much he just appreciated being with me, quite humbling and made me feel guilty for the past. Having said that, I now know that can be a normal occurrence so I am happy!

I hope you are all doing okay.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Ending day 17 sober.

Came home from work and was met with an empty house (expected) and then became annoyed at how the kitchen was...immediately my AV began to whisper and tell me that I was alone and that I could take a swig out of the open bottle of wine on the counter and that I'd feel better and that nobody would know. But the reasonable part of my brain then told me that I'd not stop until I was drunk and/or passed out and that I'd feel like trash tomorrow. Killed it with food and caffeine and so very thankful right now that I did.

Goodnight classmates, sending positive vibes to all of you!
Old 12-02-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Day 10 check-in...still fighting for sobriety. First counseling session tomorrow morning. Let's see how it goes and whether it helps me on this path to a better life.

Not feeling so social tonight so will just say goodnight. Embrace another sober day and night everyone.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Evening check-in. Pretty much echoing the same fatigue complaint that others have reported, and counting down until I can turn in for the night. I recognize it for what it is, part of the healing process, and know that it will improve with time.

Watching the news coverage of the shooting in San Bernardino, CA at a conference center that was being used by county public employees. It is so sad, 14 killed and 17 injured. Such a devastating event, please keep the families of the victims in your prayers. Speculations are that it may have been a work-place dispute that triggered it.

I am thankful that we are all safe in our homes and are striving to make improvements so that we can live our lives in the moment, appreciating each and every day.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:04 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keepnitreal View Post
Hang in there Patricia. I pushed myself to work out and then tackled a couple of small things on my to-do list and now I am feeling a bit better. Overload can lead to shutdown for me. What about you? Kiki????
Hey KIR! I've been trying to go easy on myself. The ONLY thing that really matters in my life right now is staying sober. And YES, overload makes me shutdown too!
Old 12-02-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Hi guys! Checking in! I didn't get my butt out of bed until 2:00 pm today! I feel guilty but my body must just need the extra rest. Anyway, after I woke up I had to run all over town, cook dinner for the family, exercise, clean etc etc. Basically I had to play "catch up". Oh well...at least I'm sober! End of day 17 & feeling better every day!

I did have one pretty strong craving at 3:20 today (the same exact time as yesterday) but it only lasted about 3 minutes. My sponsor told me when I have a craving to talk back to it & say something like "ahhh...shut up! Haha. I'm not gonna drink so go away!" I talked back to it & it left!

Pams & SwimKim-I sure hope the reason I am so tired is b/c my body is healing because I did ALOT of damage!!!

KIR & Denise-great news about your husbands!

BeautifulPines-I hope your feeling better!

Enfin-u hanging in there?

Rah- you make relaxing sound so awesome! I think I will relax more! Ha

Jemma-that definitely gives me hope that you've lost 6 lbs!

Patricia-you doing ok?

Odelle-the shootings are terrible! I wish people would stop killing people. :-(