Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 23

Old 12-02-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Big hugs Briar. I'm thinking of you.

And you too Phoebe! I hope you're feeling better too.

I'm slow to rise this morning, but gotta run. Darn that snooze button!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Morning all! A little rainy this morning, which is wonderful. Hopefully I can squeeze a walk into one of the breaks. I did a long walk yesterday and did a little running, which I almost never do. It was good, but I am sore today! Totally different muscles!

I need to find more walnut recipes. I still have about 10 cups of walnuts to work with. We do eat them raw, but not a lot, especially when they are right next to a jar of roasted peanuts - yum! I think tonight I'll figure out how to pair them with the huge sweet potato we've had languishing on the counter for at least a week.

Xmas shopping is underway. I've got most people taken care of, but still a couple kids to address. I was pleased with my idea for a gift for my daughter's preschool (it's a daycare to preschool facility, so she has been there since she was 6 months old, and this is her last year). I didn't know what to get for individual teachers, so I got the school a Keurig coffee maker. I hope they like it, the coffee maker they have looks like it's from 1982.

Today is the last day of our vacation, back to work tomorrow. It definitely feels too soon, but at least it's only two days until the weekend.

Have a good day, guys!
Old 12-02-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

That is a very generous gift, Briar!!

Re: the walnuts, there are cookies that use walnut flour. I used ot make some, will look up the recipe online. I have not baked or had nuts in house for 16 years. Daughter has deadly allergy. I do have some almonds for husband and I, but we eat then very carefully and neatly, when she is not around, but none in any of our pots, pans, blenders, mixers, etc... I miss some of the cookies, but I don't need them! BRB with cookie recipes.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Well, this looks something like it, but mine had ground walnuts. Very finely ground. Use a food processor or coffee mill type thing, and stop short of turning into a paste. Nice fluffy crumbs. It gives the cookies a wonderful flakiness.

DOUGH
1 cup (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter*
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract, optional
1 teaspoon salt*
3/4 cup almond flour or 3/4 cup blanched almonds, finely ground
2 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
*If you use salted butter, reduce the amount of added salt to 1/2 teaspoon.
COATING
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt.
Beat in the almond flour, then the all-purpose flour.
Scoop chestnut-sized (1") pieces of dough, and roll them into balls. A level teaspoon cookie scoop will give you just the right amount of dough. Place the balls on the prepared baking sheets, leaving 1" between them.
Bake the cookies for 15 to 20 minutes, until they feel set on top: and some of them are MAYBE beginning to barely brown around the edges.
While the cookies are baking, put the topping sugar in a shallow bowl.
Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer them, 5 or 6 at a time, to the bowl. Roll them in the sugar to coat, then transfer them to a rack to cool.
When the cookies are cool, roll them in the sugar again; they should be thoroughly coated and snowy white.
Store airtight at room temperature.
Yield: 4 dozen cookies.

Are we allowed to post recipe links?
Old 12-02-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Recipe sounds delicious, phoebe!!!!
Old 12-02-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Good morning, afternoon, evening, Octsobers.

Have a great day.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hey Leigh!

That cookie recipe looks amazing Phoebe. I'll have to share that with my wife.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Oh man ....after my piece of salmon and helping of green beans for dinner I would love a generous helping of cookies like that.

Hope Wednesday was a nice one for the gang and a happy Thursday morning to you V.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Salmon sounds good Mark.

It was lasagna and baby spinach salad tonight. Went well with the cold rainy weather we've had the past two days.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I just had a low carb wrap with cold chicken breast and salad greens, with some light Caesar dressing. But I'm hungry now. I still have some options left for today on my food plan.

My daughter did not make the basketball team. She is taking it very well. She had a feeling last night. There was an influx of very talented freshman. Last year, there were not enough girls and there were no cuts, but this year they had to make cuts. I think it is a learning experience. She can still play the rec league, which is fun for her. Thinking of giving her a gym membership for Christmas. I would have to go too, since she's not yet driving. She needs a regular fitness thing, and it may get her more excited about more targeted training pre-season if she decides to try one more time.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

It's not fun to see our kids disappointed, but a reality of life it is. I'm glad she's taking it well phoebe.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Glad she's handling it well. I hate it when my baby is disappointed.

I had 1200 calories today. Kind of horrifying, but also an accomplishment because I know I'm supposed to eat more than my usual 800.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:07 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Good to hear you hit your goal Briar!

Glad your daughter is handling it well Phoebe. A joint gym membership sounds like it could be a lot of fun!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Good to hear that your daughter is taking it well, phoebe. The gym membership sounds like a fabulous gift; the mother-daughter exercise bonding sounds nice, too.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Goodnight, Octsobers.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:20 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Good going, Briar! 1200 is my lowest and hardest goal. The 21Day Fix gives me more than 1700, provided I do the exercise videos. So for you to get that is great. I'm overweight and those are lean goals. You would need more than chubby me.

I've been underweight in my life. I get it. I feel weirdly envious of your discipline, Briar. But niether extreme is healthy.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Well, Phoebe, that's really it - neither extreme is ok. My discipline was good for a while, but now I realize it's a misguided effort to ignore real life. Keeping that in mind has helped me push toward a little more balance.

I'm up late tonight waiting for my Fitbit to charge. The damn thing is having some kind of charging issue where it randomly stops charging and has to be jiggled. So to charge it, I have to hang out with it and bit-sit. Real annoying. I wouldn't bother except that I simply cannot live without my bit.
Old 12-03-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Good morn/evening! I'm working from home today, hoping that the sun comes back. It's been cold and rainy for long enough! Have a great day everyone.
Old 12-03-2015, 04:26 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Morning guys.

My wife has gone through a bunch of fit bits Briar. Seems like it's a common thing. The company at least is great in that they stand by their product. They will send you a replacement for free if you inquire.

Looks like the rain has lifted here too. A sunny day ahead. Enjoy everyone.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:16 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Supposed to rain here all day. I'm grateful, though sadly it means I can't wear the boots I prefer. *sigh*...priorities.