Notices

Class of November 2015

Old 11-09-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Giving it a real try this time, feeling good about it. Will be checking in daily to this thread
Old 11-09-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Hello class of November, just dropping in to say hello and offer encouragement. I'm part of the October class, and today I finish up 36 days sober. So never doubt you can do this; that doubt is just a feeling and nothing more. Remember, you're stronger than you may believe you are.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Day 4

So glad to wake up this morning to Day 4. Went to bed around 10pm last night and woke up at 5h30am without trouble.
Wishing you all a wonderful day/night.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
Today is day one again for me. The day is almost done and tomorrow will be day two. I haven't posted about it here yet but my mom has stage 4 cancer and on Saturday she had to go to the hospital and was diagnosed with a blood clot in her leg. She has had a few blood clots and this wasn't really a surprise as she has been immobile for a few months. She broke her leg in July and has been in a nursing home since trying to recover. They couldn't do surgery on it because of the cancer and her weakened state so it has been slowly healing on its own.

On Saturday at the hospital I found out that they are only giving her chemo to try and control her pain, the cancer is too far progressed and there really isn't a chance for recovery. Up until now, I knew the chances were slim but was keeping hope she might recover. Saturday after getting this news, I drank. I drank through last night and started over again today. The good part is I am feeling pretty determined not to drink as I want to be there for my mom & family and clear headed and present for whatever comes. I am hoping I can maintain this way of thinking because I know it can change very quickly.

Thanks for letting me post about this. I won't post about it all of the time it is just causing me to struggle a little in my attempt at not drinking so I am hoping it might help by posting about it once in a while.

I hope everyone has a happy & sober Tuesday~
Old 11-09-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Nov 10
USMC birthday
240 yrs running
That's a day 1, I'll be able to remember.
Served 91-95
Old 11-09-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your trouble emme. Stay strong.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:31 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

emme so sorry to hear about your mom, stay strong.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:47 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Aww Emme. Hang in there. Will pray for you during this difficult time. #hugs
Old 11-09-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Hi... Went sober for 32 days part of the Octobe class.. And had drinks last saturday. I wason a weekend getaway and well just happened.. Day 3 today so back again!!! Just wanted to say hello to you in the November clasd!!!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:30 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Well it worked out! My bus driver friend was about to give me money for the bus all week but we agreed (well he advised and I had to agree lol) that it was better to just give me bus passes, no temptation to spend it at the Knob liquor store. I must admit he's a true friend indeed!
Old 11-10-2015, 02:59 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Supertired View Post
Been thinking a lot about the maintenance part of sobriety . In the past when I'd start feeling better, I'd be able to convince myself that I was fine and that the problems of last week were done with as they faded from view.. I've heard that we are programmed biologically to forget pain, that combined with a clever rationalizing streak and I'd find myself right back where I'd started. It's happened so many times, that I'm having problems believing in my ability to maintain.
Feeling really good but now as some of the initial bliss of hangoverlessness is wearing off , I guess I'm coming to grasp the work ahead .
Yup, I know exactly how you feel and this is the part that concerns me most. Going a couple of weeks sober, everything is great, convince myself I don't have a problem. Working out well, work is good, I can handle this. I don't have a problem....go out for up to a few months and everything is fine, then one bad night that could result in a DUI. I have come to the conclusion that one bad night a year is not OK when it comes to drinking and driving. And for me, this means totally abstaining. I know a lot of people have different levels, but I have a tendency to ramp it up for months at a time. Being honest with myself, it's a miracle I haven't gotten a DUI in past two years. I feel like I'd rather just never drink ever then go through this nonsense at all. But damn, I need a better plan. The weekend is coming and we are just not the type of people to sit around...
Old 11-10-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Emme,
Very sorry to hear about your mom
Old 11-10-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Good Morning, made it through Day 1, heading off to work without a hangover is nice.

Its always easy to get through Day 1 - but once the hangover wears off and my mind starts getting crazy, thinking I can moderate or just drink on weekends. Its all crap, tried moderating for many years just to fail.

Here's to Day 2
Old 11-10-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Sorry about your mom Emme, that must be difficult.

Good morning class. At work, day 3. Again.

Shelby my sentiments exactly. I'm down to weekend drinking only but it's doing me no good and it needs to stop.

I need a solid weekend plan.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Good morning friends. Emme I'm terribly sorry to hear about your mom. Hang in there! Today is day 3 for me.......the next few days scare me. I always seem to crash and burn somewhere between 3-5 days. Please pray I make it this time. I never want to go back! It will always be miserable & my disease will keep progressing. There is no way out of this but to STOP. I am an alcoholic and it's a chronic, progressive, fatal disease that will not only kill me but will make me WANT to die. Alcohol is the devils poison.

WHEW! I really needed to type all that out to remind myself how bad alcohol is today!!! Thx for letting me vent! I hate alcohol!

I am going to an AA meeting at 1:00 today & getting some exercise. One minute at a time...just for today....I will not drink.

And I need to remember to <<<BREATHE>>> and NOT think! My thinking gets me in trouble!

I forget to breathe sometimes...
Old 11-10-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Good morning - day 2...
Old 11-10-2015, 07:07 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

So I'm looking at the choices I have today for meetings and one says "Other" in 3 hours, the next one says "Daily Reflections" in about 8 hours, and the last one says "Step Study" but no beginner group today. Which one should I choose? Also my hubby requests that I do not get a male sponsor, is that feasible usually?
Old 11-10-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Hi everyone~
Thank you all for your comments about my mom, I appreciate it. I am heading to one of her doctor appointments now. I got up early today and have a busy day ahead. I am feeling positive and feel like it is going to be a good day. Thanks again & I hope everyone has a great day
Old 11-10-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Day 10

Todays plan is still keep it simple.

My mind feels like mush and the short term memory is way off.I read over alot of PAWS liteture and it gives you a good understanding why everything is the way it is.I also feel very fatigued but walking greatly helps.

Gameplan: Today i will find all the local AA meetings in my area and write them down.Before i drink i will attend a meeting.Ive only been to one in my whole life, and if you can get thru the front door,there is a whole lot of support and love.Its ok to be afraid, its what we do when we are scared that counts.AA speaker meetings on utube are a huge help and will actually make you laugh.

Im also going to make a list and just stay busy.

May the day be yours!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Greetings class of November 2015!

Emme, sorry to hear about your mother, cancer is a terrible thing.

So, this is my third time doing this, but it is a tradition I rather enjoy. I'm a member of the November 2012 class and every year I like to introduce myself to the new Novie class.

Today marks 3 years of continuous soberiety. A special day for sure. 3 years ago, I was in all of your shoes. I was the town drunk, the guy who couldn't hold his liquour, who couldn't say no to a drink. As much as I wanted to be sober, I didn't think I had recovery in me. That was for other people, stronger people.

So I can say to everyone here, there is hope. I believe to the bottom of my core, if I can get sober, anyone can. It takes work and effort, but, if you really are ready, anyone can do it.

Reminds me of one of my favourite recovery sayings, Soberiety isn't for those who need it, it's for those who want it.

All the best class of November 2015, I'll be watching and rooting for y'all every step of the way.