Notices

Class of November 2015

Old 11-08-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dallow View Post
My downhill spiral really started spinning when I realised I could jazz up everything like that! Cooking, cleaning, watching a movie, writing job applications (yeah, I know...)

Maybe it's because I've always been a bit of a loner and done all kinds of things by myself - going to the cinema, dining out, going to football games...

I never had a problem doing anything alone, except of course, when I realised I no longer had the choice to drink alone - it became a necessity.
Perfectly described. I'm a loner, too. Maybe "jazzing" things up with wine is really just justifying us isolating from people....? That's always been my thing. Too much trouble dealing with people when people make me anxious
Old 11-08-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back KiKi and healthygoals

D
Old 11-08-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Haven't checked in much this week. Should be Day 7 but it's Day 1. The weekend got me again. Went shopping on Friday, finally loaded the wine into the trolley - last thing I got - then spent twenty minutes going back and forth trying to make myself put it all back. Didn't make it. All gone now. I've been reading some of the posts I've missed and picked up the idea that we often give in for what seem to be really stupid reasons. Mine was I had to take an online tutorial with my students on Friday - one hour out of my life but I really hate them - that's what made me feel I just couldn't take those bottles out of the trolley. So, Saturday, no run, Sunday, no church, no run. At least I haven't had anything today and can go to work knowing I'm safe. Day 2 tomorrow. I will do this.
Old 11-08-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

We still have a bottle of Jameson and a bottle of brandy in the house. My boyfriend was going to dump them out to be supportive of me, but I told him I didn't want him to waste the money and that I wouldn't mind if he finished them. I think that was a huge mistake. Now, he's at work and they seem to be calling my name. I refuse to drink them, but every time I see the bottles, I get the urge to. I need to remind myself of what would happen if I did. My AV is trying to kill me.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by learntofly View Post
We still have a bottle of Jameson and a bottle of brandy in the house. My boyfriend was going to dump them out to be supportive of me, but I told him I didn't want him to waste the money and that I wouldn't mind if he finished them. I think that was a huge mistake. Now, he's at work and they seem to be calling my name. I refuse to drink them, but every time I see the bottles, I get the urge to. I need to remind myself of what would happen if I did. My AV is trying to kill me.
Your AV started with "I don't want you to waste the money and I don't mind if you finish them." You know if the bottles are in the house you might drink them. I'm only saying this because I have been down this very same path, and when I first gave up alcohol, for almost a year, I might add, I kept telling my husband that I didn't mind if he drank. I kept saying, "Please don't let me stop you from drinking. If you want to buy some beer or something, go ahead! I'll be fine." But when he finally said ok and brought alcohol home for himself, if there was any left, I drank it. It didn't matter what it was; cheap beer, nasty brown liquor, [insert whatever kind of liquid poison here], if it was in the house, I drank it. All of it. Only when we come to the point that we WANT to change and know we NEED to change, and not that we feel that we HAVE to change, for whatever reason, will we be able to look at alcohol and go, "No thanks. Can't afford it." I'm still struggling with this very thing, so I'm no expert and not trying to sound like I am. If I were in this position, and strong enough to post on here before drinking that bottle (which I can tell you right now, I wouldn't be), I would dump it straight down the drain. The longer you think about that bottle, the harder it's going to be. Trust me. Get rid of it.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Day one

today is my first day. I have binge drinking issues and I don't think I have any alternative but to quit completely and forever. I have a ton of hobbies, great supportive wife and a great 5yo daughter, but for some reason I still screw up all the time. Lately, it's been a bit more frequent. I enjoy reading all this stuff. It really helps.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome fullhouse

Learntofly, to me the money you spent on the booze is immaterial - however much it was, try to think of it as an investment in your recovery...get rid of those bottles!

D
Old 11-08-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Made it through the football game and a huge dinner surrounded by great friends and a ton of good wine, not tempted by it at all. In my pj's reading posts to continue to focus on sobriety and the evils of alcohol use. Going to bed early!
Old 11-08-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice D and Ambuler. You're both absolutely right. I poured it out and my craving passed, thank goodness.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Right On!

learntofly Way to Go! That's a hard thing to do, your strength has inspired me!
Old 11-08-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Day 3 and I've got a friend that's gonna loan me some bus fare tomorrow for the week, let's hope I don't try to catch a free ride from another friend so I can pocket the money and go you know where. Positive thoughts, prayers, and the knowledge that where I was a week ago is not where I wanna be tomorrow night. Especially starting a new job, this could be reckless! Maybe I should just ask if he could supply me bus passes instead? My AV is telling me not to ask him that...which is stupid because he's a freakin BUS DRIVER!!! Wowsers!
Old 11-08-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Oh, god......feeling like sh*t. Threeday weekend just totally blown. Today could not get into work.....will be ok because I rarely miss. But the comedowns really do get worse....not hangovers anymore, its withdrawal. Takes at least 3/4 days to feel human again. Just quietly topping it up today to try and keep the edge off until its late enough to maybe get some sleep. For a few hours until the sweating starts.....

This is how it goes people.....for any of you new guys who think you've a problem.....get onto it now. While you've still got ya partners, kids, jobs. Don't get to here....this is awful.

Here is having to face a week of withdrawals, cravings, isolation. Or topping up ...a quietly ruminative afternoon doing what I love doing.....later a long curry cook and then bed. Hell's back in the morning.

This is hard to do....
Old 11-08-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ambuler View Post
I know, right? My husband is still giving me crap over me crying about that....jerkface... We'll get through this. One day at a time, that's what they say, right?
Yes Abmuler...we WILL get thru this! We must!!! Never give up!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ambuler View Post
SwimKim, stomping out of the house and walking furiously around the block sounds like great advice. I'm more of a tantrum type of girl so I would probably be able to go for that tool way before I could calmly sit down and meditate lol. I will definitely be adding that to my tool box!
Every once in a while I see a lady briskly walking down a busy road with both middle fingers up flipping cars off as they drive by. (No joke!) I just assumed she had a mental illness....but maybe she's in early sobriety. Hahahaha!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gifford View Post
Back again 3 more wasted years and still not sober. It has cost me my marriage and now the love of somebody else. I hope to get inspiration here, I have to stop. It is destroying my life
Welcome back Gifford! Never give up!!!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fullhouse View Post
today is my first day. I have binge drinking issues and I don't think I have any alternative but to quit completely and forever. I have a ton of hobbies, great supportive wife and a great 5yo daughter, but for some reason I still screw up all the time. Lately, it's been a bit more frequent. I enjoy reading all this stuff. It really helps.
Welcome fullhouse! :-)
Old 11-08-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by canguy View Post
Oh, god......feeling like sh*t. Threeday weekend just totally blown. Today could not get into work.....will be ok because I rarely miss. But the comedowns really do get worse....not hangovers anymore, its withdrawal. Takes at least 3/4 days to feel human again. Just quietly topping it up today to try and keep the edge off until its late enough to maybe get some sleep. For a few hours until the sweating starts..... This is how it goes people.....for any of you new guys who think you've a problem.....get onto it now. While you've still got ya partners, kids, jobs. Don't get to here....this is awful. Here is having to face a week of withdrawals, cravings, isolation. Or topping up ...a quietly ruminative afternoon doing what I love doing.....later a long curry cook and then bed. Hell's back in the morning. This is hard to do....
Hang in there canguy!
Old 11-08-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
Administrator

What's your recovery plan look like canguy?

D
Old 11-08-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Hello class of November how is everyone doing?
Old 11-08-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  
Administrator

how are you humbug?

D