Class of September 2015 Part 5

Old 10-26-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Congratulations Kinzoku!
Great job Capegirl!
Heya Jd!
Old 10-27-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Off to court with our daughter. I am not looking forward to this. But then, who does. Staying to my sober path, even when those around me have A drink. Having a claw head trumps having a buzz. Stay strong my fellow travelers. Off we go.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Good luck 3Wolves! Nice job, CapeGirl.

I had my appointment yesterday with the psychiatrist and it went well. We went over all the possible medications to help me stay stopped and we decided on Campral. I'm giving it a try and we'll see how it goes. Day 17.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Sounds good Juno. Glad you met with the doc. What is that medication exactly supposed to help with? Just curious.

Doing well over here. When I really think about it sometimes I'm just so glad to be choosing the sober path. Warms my heart. Wasn't always like this. Took a couple years and some ill will attempts at sobriety. But i feel different about the whole thing now in a really good way.

Wishing you all the best day.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your daughter 3wolves. So glad you saw the doc Juno, good luck with the med. Thanks jd & Key.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Hi, all:

Just a quick check in to say that I'm here and sober. Got in late Sunday and hit the ground running Monday, which is my long day. Another long one today, but I look forward to finding time to catch up on folks' news. 48 days today!
Old 10-27-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Good going matilda!
Old 10-27-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Congrats Matilda!!! That is great! Hope you are feeling better too!
Old 10-27-2015, 04:34 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

This stinks.
I am sober. Made it thru today and now for a chat with my girl and a slice of Amish buttermilk pie!
I plan to be sober tomorrow......
Old 10-27-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Sounds good Juno. Glad you met with the doc. What is that medication exactly supposed to help with? Just curious.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acamprosate

It's supposed to help with alcohol withdrawal and dependence.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arbor View Post
Hi Arbor,

Campral is supposed to help with cravings. This is copied from a website:

It is not completely understood exactly how Campral works in the brain to help people maintain alcohol abstinence, but it is believed to restore a chemical balance in the brain that is disrupted by long-term or chronic alcohol abuse.

In other words, it helps the brain begin working normally again.

I figured it was worth a try. If I have any negative side effects, I can always stop. So far so good - no side effects. I'm taking a lower dose because I'm a small person. Today I noticed a feeling a calm that I didn't have before, so we shall see how it goes!
Old 10-28-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

I haven't been here much but I'm still sober. I think I posted in the October group yesterday.....43 days sober so October is the wrong sobriety month. Things are going well for me. They always could be better but I have nothing to complain about today.

Hope everyone has a great day today.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

That's great to know Juno. Didn't know if it was an anxiety or depression med. My doctor is anti-meds most of the time, so I don't know much about them. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

So I drank....

4 nights running even though I told myself I only wanted "a" night off...

5 bottles of wine later....

Observations;

It tasted like paint stripper at first but by the end of the bottle it was ok.
It made my lips tingle straight away.
I had terrible broken sleep.
I had those mild lingering headaches all day.
The children irritated me easily, I had no patience and was short tempered.
My heart was racing the next day and I felt anxious.
Despite selling myself the idea I was trying out moderating / controlled drinking I still made sure I had more than a bottle each night.

Conclusion;

I can't drink moderately.
I don't want to be back there.

I'm disappointed in myself but also proud I managed 47 days.

Now I have to bow out of the class of September and join the class of October, day 2...
Old 10-29-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Originally Posted by foreverfuzzy View Post
So I drank....

4 nights running even though I told myself I only wanted "a" night off...

5 bottles of wine later....

Observations;

It tasted like paint stripper at first but by the end of the bottle it was ok.
It made my lips tingle straight away.
I had terrible broken sleep.
I had those mild lingering headaches all day.
The children irritated me easily, I had no patience and was short tempered.
My heart was racing the next day and I felt anxious.
Despite selling myself the idea I was trying out moderating / controlled drinking I still made sure I had more than a bottle each night.

Conclusion;

I can't drink moderately.
I don't want to be back there.

I'm disappointed in myself but also proud I managed 47 days.

Now I have to bow out of the class of September and join the class of October, day 2...
It happens. Get back up, brush yourself off and move forward. 2 days is a great start. Many don't stop as soon as you have and re-start. Good going. You'll always be welcome here so don't be afraid to post.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

So I drank....

I sure you can join as many classes as you like. I'm still sober but started posting in the October group. I felt I still needed the activity of a new group.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

So I drank.... Conclusion; I can't drink moderately. I don't want to be back there.
It's amazing how a return to the bottle for a quick visit can turn out these realizations again. I've been there believe me. It takes some people a while to accept it all so we can draw a line in the sand and move forward with our lives. Took me two years actually, but I finally "get it." What's great is that you came right back and didn't let the cycle continue. That's progress. Stay with us FF. It doesnt matter what class your part of as long as your getting something out of it.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Good morning, all. Phew, it has been a busy couple of days since I got home--just was able to sit down and read everyone's news.

Juno, I'm glad to hear that the doctor's visit went well. I hope the medicine helps. Arbor, Memra, Kinzoku, JD--congrats on your sober dates (and congrats to everyone I forgot in that congrats).
3Wolves, hope you and the grans are well!
CapeGirl, that is an amazing temptation that you passed through--way to go.

FF, sending hugs and support. I was sober almost 6 months when I tried moderation again. Honestly, I could drink a glass or two of wine here and there for about a month, but very, very quickly, it ramped up.

I just read a couple of weeks worth of posts since I've been away and it does seem that you were thinking about it for awhile. It might be useful to come up with a plan for those situation. I find for myself the thinking is sometimes the first step in picking up the drink.

I hope that you will continue to post and check in here FF, if it is helpful to you. You are a great member of this group, and I value and am grateful for your insights.

Heading into day...hey, it is day 51!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you, thank you : ))))

Yes Matilda you're right, I was thinking about it and leading up to it slowly for the last 2 weeks. But I also thought "I bet it doesn't work and I end up back on SR pretty darn quickly" so at least I predicted that right. I think because I gave myself permission to try it and also told myself to get straight back here if it didn't work, that's why I'm here as quick as I am. If that makes sense?

That and the fact that I didn't actually enjoy it most of the time. It felt a bit like I was getting caught in a net that I couldn't escape from.

Thank goodness I got out and back on here so quickly, that's the danger though if it happens again, the fact that I might not pour it out, might "just finish this one" and then the next and the next etc... When I initially bought the first bottle I was only buying one but it was priced at £7.99 and the salesman says "oh no, that's the multiple price, you pay £11.99 for one or pay £7.99 if you buy 2 or more..." So of course, you know the rest....

Thanks everyone, I'd love to keep posting here as well as October : )))

xxx
Old 10-30-2015, 07:56 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

That does make sense, ff. I'm glad you are back.

Had a bad conversation with my folks, which ended with me being snappy. I knew I shouldn't have picked up the phone at work--it was a long day and I was tired. Wanted to drink so bad--even mentioned it to my partner, and he said you don't want to do that do you? What is it about a big man with a soft voice and startling blue eyes? Anyway, I resisted and feel better for it. Thank you, sweetie!