Notices

Class of September 2015 Part 5

Old 11-13-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Congrats JD!!
Old 11-13-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Yes, two months for me tomorrow. Feels good.

I think it's important to note that just because your sober it doesn't mean everyday is good. Six months in last year I was expecting too much out of sobriety and found myself inching back into drinking. Found my way back here once again confirming everything.

How's it going Key?!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Heya Arbor! Congratulations for you too!
I am doing good. Still self recovering..of course.. but hey I have recognized just what you said. I don't know. We just expect too much form ourselves sometimes, don't we? I have to tell myself, "slow down...things are moving wayyy to fast"! Look how long it took me to get to where I was. Look at the leap and bounds I have made since. I expect things to be much farther along. I am only 116 days. A little less than 4 months. I am doing great, but I got a lot to sort through. As long as I keep my focus on today, right now, I think I'll be doing better. I don't know what I was trying to trick myself into thinking. But now I am doing just like I should be...well!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 2 months arbor

D
Old 11-13-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

Just a moment.....
I am so freaking proud right now.
Tonight my daughter and SIL are attending a fundraiser for autism. A last minute invitation. I am keeping the kids.....
No mention of alcohol has been made. No questions asked.
I am sober. I am being entrusted with peeps.....goosebumps of joy......
Old 11-13-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad 3wolves

D
Old 11-13-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  

((3wolves)) completely awesome!
Old 11-13-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 248 (permalink)  

That's wonderful 3wolves!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Hi Class
I thought I'd pop in here and see how everyone is. SO, How is everyone? Getting ready for the holidays? This year will be weird because I'll be alone. The last two years I spent with the exbf....but that's obviously not going to happen, and I'm glad for it. My daughter is going to see family with her Dad so its a solo Thanksgiving. I could go to see my family but I'm leaving for Hawaii just a few days later and really can't afford it. And frankly, I don't feel like it. I'm not all that concerned about being alone....I get concerned when people say "Oh gosh that's too bad". They just have no idea what being a loner is. I'm not going to say I love being alone all the time (well I'm not ALL the time) but I'm also not miserable. I know that I can change that situation with some effort so really, its my choice I guess.

5 months sober. I thought it was 4 so I just surprised myself. I don't really trust myself, but I also don't sweat the whole thing. I have taken this strange ambivalent approach to recovery, which is probably not a good idea but its working for me. In other words, I don't 'fret' over booze, one way or the other. I just tell myself that if I drink it won't help, I'll feel horrible. Best case I'm sick and hungover. Worst case I'm detoxing and dealing with some kind of wreckage....or I'm dead. When I look at it that way its not very appealing. I've experimented with this toxin to the point that it just does not work. I also know that that isn't always enough to stop me. So, I just don't worry about it. Today I know I won't drink. Gonna do yoga in a couple of hours. Then I'm meeting a guy that wants to date me for coffee. Yes, stupid. I shouldn't have agreed, but I also don't want to be a flake. Its coffee....in and out. And that will be the end of it.

Hope everyone is well. If you're struggling, just remember that alcohol lies, completely. So whatever your brain is telling you that alcohol will do for you, just turn it around and recognize it WON'T.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hi frick, congrats on 5 months. That's really awesome!

And congrats Arbor. I'm sure you made the 60 days.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
If you're struggling, just remember that alcohol lies, completely. So whatever your brain is telling you that alcohol will do for you, just turn it around and recognize it WON'T.
Thanks Frick. Nice job on 5 months.

Yes, jd. I made it two months yesterday. Doing well over here.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  

Kept my little ones till midnight. Thru the Lantis wearing off, a pound of bacon, and the best hugs. I think I'm still "high" from it. Mr3 gets it, but then crazy loon gets me....If our girl had said anything or asked about my drinking, he hasn't said, nor would he. My rewards are sweet. Do I think about drinking? YES, but it's a fleeting bitch. As soon as the thought lands, I start naming reasons NOT to drink. Transparency is beautiful and freeing. I hope I can handle the holidays. Yes, that's troubling for me. Thanksgiving will be this crazy fun mix of Beloveds. Transplanted Sicilian is hosting this year. They drink the wine.....with everything. Great Grandma breaks out the Lemoncello (sp?). Ohh the handmade Cannolli.....Not one person would stand in judgement. The love would be real and immediate. But I'm not ready for that. I just want to be quietly sober......the fewer that know, the fewer I disappoint if I fail.
I have found that since I stopped drinking, our 16yo grand is hanging out more. His friends too. Good bunch of boys. A bit smelly at times....but manners and laughter. I love to cook for them. Another reward for sobriety.
I will take it.
Old 11-16-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Sounds like you had a good weekend 3 wolves. I don't tell many people I no longer drink either. But it's more because it's none of their business. Keep this thought out of your mind, "the fewer that know, the fewer I disappoint if I fail." Failure is not an option. To me, even having the thought of failing allows that option to creep in.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Yes good call jd. Seems as if we think failure we have already headed towards it. Be vigilant, be aware. Remind yourself of what it is your looking for. Believe you can reach that goal.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on month 5 Frick

Good morning everyone
Old 11-17-2015, 03:00 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

(((Arbor)))!! Congratulations! High five! Woohoo! Proud of you!
Frick!! So happy for you! Way to go!
Congrats to both of you on your awesomeness!!
Old 11-17-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Heya jd!
3wolves sounds great! So glad you were trusted with your grands! That's a huge step. Sounds like people around you are noticing the new you too! ((Hug))!
Old 11-17-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Hey Wolf ((hug))!!
Hiya Dee!
Old 11-17-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a good day Key - and everyone

D
Old 11-17-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Hello all.
Hope everyone is feeling well.
My owners wife tried to send me home with a bottle of a new wine. Really kind of pissed me off that my "no thank you" was ignored. She sat it with my bag. I clocked out, took the wine back to her and told her that I couldn't accept this, that I was six weeks sober, and while I choose to stay sober, temptation is an ugly monkey. She laughed at me, said I always drink wine......no ma'am, I am an alcoholic. Please don't make me explain this again. Done.
I am enjoying this new life. Some of the physical pain I had been medicating is seemingly less. Was it caused by the drink? The stress of drinking and hiding? Mr3 commented that I seem more 'fluid' in my movements. With fibro and ra, that's a great thing. I haven't taken one of the prescribed flexaril in weeks either. Go me!
Time to put dinner on. Please be kind to yourselves.