Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 23

Old 10-17-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Love it Obo....I bet Anna is all kinds of fun these days!!!
Old 10-17-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Adna, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Such a tragic situation.

Obo, we never seem to get a break from football - radio 5live has a lot to answer for, it's probably responsible for 90% of marriage break ups!

I have the Sunday drive to my parents in a little while. I've squeezed in an hour's yoga this morning though, which I'm pleased about.

It's starting to really cool down here-winter woolies are out.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I'm sorry to hear about your friend adna, in my opinion opiates are one of the worst drugs on earth.

I haven't had much to say but I have been reading along and my thoughts are with you fools.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Thinking of you too, UP.

Hope you're sleeping better.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

A little better free, thanks.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Hey fools,

Sounds like everyone is hanging in- Up, hope you're sleeping better. I've had some sleep-challenged nites lately and thought of you- no fun. The no sleeping, that is.

Free, I'm ready for the "woolies", but also wanting one more trip to the beach before it's too cold for that! The winter will be here soon enough. Thankfully, it doesn't get too cold here.

Adna- great to hear from you.
Hope youre enjoying all that traveling.

Obo- parenthood is the best, aint it? Although I don't miss the sleepless nites of those early days!

Tops, I hate to hear about Charlie's accident. You sound very gracious about it all. Don't know if I'd be that patient.

Well, duty calls. We've had a busy week! And finally settling down for a little mindless evening of tv. Happy fall, all.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Izzy! We had a beautiful Fall day here after finally getting a nice rain yesterday. I did a walk/sprints along our river through a nice park close to the gym. One of those days you just have to appreciate life.

I have my healthy snacks prepared to take for lunch this week...celery with cream. Cheese, broccoli, baby carrots & some yellow peppers & a sundried tomato wrap full of veggies & some turkey & ham. I have been fixing a berry smoothie in the morning which seems to be enough & quick to make.

No baby yet & Son had to drive a load North tonight so DIL is on her own till he gets home early in the am so I have a bag packed, ready to go if she needs me.

Have a good week All!!!
Old 10-18-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Izzy,
Good to hear from ya !

.... made some progress on the rebuild today. Happened to have 7 bags of concrete mix from the work on the footings , so Charlie and I formed up the poured walls and once it cures in 3 or 4 days , ...will be able to puzzle in all the brick sections . Always the optimist here. Just need a couple bags of mortar mix and maybe another couple bags of concrete mix for the next bit.

Convinced Charlie to back in when he's parking from now on, ....harder to back over anything else......rolling forward in "drive" .

Monday night is my new " Friday " ....halleluiah !!!

....makes Sunday night more fun !

All that healthy food is making me hungry Mariah !??

Old 10-18-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Mariah, that's a great idea to get your lunches ready for the week. I think I might follow suit and make a batch of soup while I'm off today.

Tops, hope it stays dry for the concrete to set. Sounds like major construction you're doing there. It will be such a wonderful achievement when it's done.

Izzy, I don't get to the sea often enough. We had thought about moving closer to the coast (so we don't have to use the car to get there), but work keeps us here. Enjoy your trips to the beach.

I'm home alone today, planning to do some housework, yoga and meditation, and make some soup. What a day! Love it!

Hope everyone has a great start to the week.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:46 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Freein,
It wasn't all that , ...we lucked out and only needed three clamps, ...no fasteners at all.

Oh, funny story today. The massive rains have caused the drainfield on the septic system to fail, ..... the lid on one end had popped up,...and well.

It was a mess. anyway, got my hands on a sump pump to drain some of the extra water out and recruited Charlie to help !? lo,... when I lifted the lid , out the corner of my eye, I saw him moving away, and coulda sworn there were some gagging noises added in. ( He was acting pretty squeamish about the whole thing leading up to that point, ,...it was probably a nightmarish scenario with a good hangover !?!! )

Anyway, ....I was busy scooping out the top layer for a clear spot to lower the pump,....more gagging as he's readying himself to lower it ,...LOL

It all ended well. The septic is fully functioning,...and the whole process was, ..how do I say;... empowering. Easy remedy that saved almost 2 weeks income !!

Learning some new things are definitely more fun than others, ...... today was " others "
Old 10-19-2015, 08:31 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Morning Fools,
11.21..am,
at the desk....

Was watching the news last night, they had a science fiction expo in Australia somewhere and one of the stars was an old "chaos" boss from "Get Smart", the TV show...
Anyway he was happy to be working etc.... and he said...
"My attitude is gratitude"................................

I've been thinking about that.

Generally speaking my attitude is not so good......
I should be grateful for everything, including being sober.

The old association with the guitar and booze is around again.
I heard this lead break yesterday, a song called blackbird, one of the best guitar solos i've heard. Really well written....
It made me want a drink, not just a drink, to get wasted...!
This piece of music made me really emotional, brought up so much stuff, I must have listened to it 100 times yesterday.
I remember a quack telling me that I needed to find something with real spirit in it
to replace drinking spirits....
There was some sort of real connection to my soul through this music, and there was pain inside that I released through crying....
Amazing.... that hasn't happened to me in years....
There's no soul in HK, and that's what's desperately missing from my life...

Bloody busy here........flat out like a lizard drinking...

glad everyone is checking in again...

ST, hope all's well mate!

stay tuned..................
Old 10-19-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

obo you can be a rock star or a muso...I only know the Beatles' Blackbird but I'm guessing the songs that move you are played by musos, tho.

D
Old 10-19-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Good to read your post Obo....I have been working on the gratitude end myself....seems to be something those successful in sobriety practice & can sure pull me out of a slump if I practice it. What's with the flat out drinking like a lizard????

Missing ST here too & think of you often.

Nice job on the septic repair TS! Sounds like Charlie was in for more than he bargained for.

Very tired......Goodnight/Morning Peeps
Old 10-19-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Tops, great result on the septic tank. Poor Charlie that must have been grim.

Obo, it sounds like something is bubbling up for you, some healing taking place maybe? This could be important. Although it might feel uncomfortable, now you're sober your subconscious can start to dump a load of baggage. Be gentle with yourself and let the magic happen!

Back to work today. Days off go too quickly! But I suppose I need to be grateful for the long weekend I've had. I need to work on my gratitude too.

Have a great day all.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
Tops, great result on the septic tank. Poor Charlie that must have been grim.

Once Charlie gets a couple more days separation from the experience ,
....we'll have a good laugh about it !

Obo,.... hang in there mate,.....like Dee
I'm only familiar with the Beatles version.

It's relevance to recovery, .... is something I've never considered, ...well, till just now !?

Blackbird
The Beatles

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free

Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night

Blackbird fly, blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night

Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
Old 10-20-2015, 06:17 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Just a quick check in- went to sleep around 11 last night - DIL called at 2:40 am....was at their use by 3:00....didn't go back to sleep till around 4....up by 530 to get back to my use & ready for work....another false alarm & still no baby. Packing my bag again in case they need me tonight & hoping the little guy comes soon...Grandmas tired. Heavy duty session in weight room last evening....feeling the burn.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it's soon Mariah

D
Old 10-20-2015, 10:49 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

I know the song, but I hadn't really listened to the lyrics properly before, Tops. What a great song for recovery.

I always listen out for the first black bird to start his morning song, it sets me up for the day - now I know why!

Mariah, you are stunning, what an amazing mother and MIL you are .
Hope it's not too much longer to wait.

Just finished my intervals - a bit of kick boxing. It's great fun. I'm loving this routine. While OH is in bed snoring, I'm kick boxing my shadow.

Tops, does Charlie ever mention his drinking? I wonder if he'll follow your lead one day? that would be great wouldn't it?

Hoping to have a productive day today, have a great one everyone.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Great work with your shadow boxing Freein, !!!

Charlie middle aged, ....about 43 I think. He's actually been able to cut the booze and dope out for a year or more several times in the past twelve or so years. I'm afraid, short of extensive counseling, FtF support or possibly SR , ...it'll continue to be a struggle.

Thanks for the thought, ...Charlie's only been living here for a year ( my memory is kind of bad ,....)
Staying as broke as he does, ...it may come down to another DUI one night to land him in county for another dry out. The mandatory treatment after that usually requires attendance in AA in the end. He's done that two or three times before ,
but ya never can tell when a person hits their thresh hold and is able to 'hear" what they are getting to. Timelines on " Wanting " sobriety at a deep level seems so arbitrary ,....my experience anyway.

he def. needs a good counselor, ....the radical abuse he endured as a kid at the hands of his mom sounds like fiction, ......but I'm sure of it because of how he explains details of living in abandoned houses as a runaway child ( when I asked him of those kinds of things )

....stealing food, avoiding cops,... etc,...

He was eventually put in group foster care,..... at 11.
All things considered , he's an authentic, trustworthy guy ,.... miraculous , really !?

And not a violent bone in his body too ! drunk or sober,.......
I have faith he'll come around one day.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Kickboximg Freein...I love it!! You go girl!

Stories like Charlie's break my heart TS....I hope he finds his way to sobriety.

Another call at 1:00 am this morning & still no baby...it's been agreed that I will just spend the night there till baby comes & that way they don't have to stress over that part & I won't have to get up during the night....the training I'm in is draining & tough with little sleep, although for a good cause I'm re-packing my bag after I take care of some things here at home.