Notices

Class of September 2015

Old 09-02-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hey team, and Hey Arryckha I remember you from the March 2014 class!

I've been drinking over the last 3 weeks and feel terrible both physically and mentally. I'm back on day one and would like to join this class if you'll have me.

needtostopthis: I'm in the same boat with anxiety. I drink to "medicate" the anxiety away. But that takes more and more alcohol each time to keep it at bay. Sometimes listening to a calming meditation helps me...

Does anyone have any other non-drinking/non-drugging way to deal with anxiety?

I need to recover, and I thank you all for all that you've done with your posts!
Old 09-02-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I tend to go for a long walk when I'm feeling anxious...although that's not always possible. I also try to identify the things that are making me anxious and which are things I have some control over and which I don't. I find if I can do even a small thing about one of the things it helps...or failing that I do something like wash up dishes or some other small self care thing.

I also play the ukulele a bit...and just strumming on that a bit can help....or even trying to learn a new tune is a good distraction.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoirse View Post
Me too betterlife. Its an escape from the things that exhaust me in life, but they aren't as exhausting if I'm not drinking. Hardest thing is relearning how to relax. I'm bored with drinking and my drinking self, but drink because I'm bored. So I'm formulating a plan. This is a good time because with the kids back in school the routine gets switched up. This weekend will be difficult. 3 days off, holiday weekend.
Same for me. I have things that exhaust me in life too but add to that sneaking to buy and drink alcohol, hiding empties, sleeping poorly, nights lost to just being lazy and buzzed, forgetfulness, and of course, feeling awful from drinking the day/night before and everything is just so much harder.
While I'm stressed out at work, knowing there is alcohol waiting for me at the end of the day seems calming, like a relief. Today I thought of it many times and how it must serve as a bridge for me to help me relax after a long day. But, if I'm not working, I start drinking so much earlier. So there always seems to be a reason. Sigh.

I just hate how I can be so gung-ho about sobriety and then - wham- it's like I don't care- all I want to do is drink and won't even give myself a chance to talk myself out of it. I will say, my two best defenses are food and SR. Once I read and/or eat something satisfying the craving seems to dissipate. So I need to PROMISE myself I will do that EVERY TIME.

Thanks for all the great posts.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:48 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hello September members. I hope everyone is doing well with their sober journeys.

I came across this article today; I found it inspirational and encouraging, perhaps you will too:

6 Reasons Why I Don't Drink Alcohol Anymore
Old 09-02-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
orangutan

DAY 3

Headaches as usual when I first stop , I know I can expect this to go on for a while yet from previous dry outs, otherwise good.

Big thankyou to all the board members who took time to stop by to give support to this group.

Stay strong September.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great support going on here guys - welcome to all the newcomers to this thread

these two links are a great start, and help, in devising a recovery plan. I encourage everyone to take a look

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf
https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...SMA12-4474.pdf

No matter how many times you've tried this before, if you keep trying and keep adding things to your plan, you will get there.

You can never lose the fight if you don't stop fighting

D
Old 09-02-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
Same for me. I have things that exhaust me in life too but add to that sneaking to buy and drink alcohol, hiding empties, sleeping poorly, nights lost to just being lazy and buzzed, forgetfulness, and of course, feeling awful from drinking the day/night before and everything is just so much harder.
While I'm stressed out at work, knowing there is alcohol waiting for me at the end of the day seems calming, like a relief. Today I thought of it many times and how it must serve as a bridge for me to help me relax after a long day. But, if I'm not working, I start drinking so much earlier. So there always seems to be a reason. Sigh.

I just hate how I can be so gung-ho about sobriety and then - wham- it's like I don't care- all I want to do is drink and won't even give myself a chance to talk myself out of it. I will say, my two best defenses are food and SR. Once I read and/or eat something satisfying the craving seems to dissipate. So I need to PROMISE myself I will do that EVERY TIME.

I know exactly what you mean. I will be so gung ho, really believing i can do it and then i just lose it. Then nothing matters. It is like who cares, lets drink. I also am turning to food and of course here. I think i have gained 5 pound in 5 days just eating.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

My head is hurting so bad. I want to drink. This sucks.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

Push through it need..you'll be glad tomorrow.

remember some of the tips from this link?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

Hang in there...think of why you want to change

D
Old 09-02-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Greetings

Sorry, 3 days late in joining - but here now - Day 3 of Sober

so this is what the real world is like
Old 09-02-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post

Could've written this myself...
Chronic relapser here too xx
Old 09-02-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome passthesalt

D
Old 09-02-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Urban Hermit

Wow September 2 and already 73 posts in this thread.

Welcome to all the newcomers and relapsers who have made the decision to make September the month you stop and stay stopped. I'm in the August 2015 class and can't say enough about the the great support and friendship here. I have also found it helpful to post in the 24-hour support thread, and don't forget about the Tuesday and Friday chat meetings.

The early days are hard, but it does get better. You can do this!
Old 09-02-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
My head is hurting so bad. I want to drink. This sucks.
Please don't !!
I'm suffering bad depression fueled by binge drinking. This crap is so not worth it honey !
Were in your corner --
Old 09-02-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

First full day for me. Looking forward to another tomorrow.

Thanks for all the encouraging posts!
Old 09-02-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Needtostop I'm right there with you on the headache. Hang in there. I've never had a headache that alcohol didn't make worse.
Got a bit of a head cold too. Yuck.
Getting though day 3 feels really good though. I'm glad I will wake up to day 4 tomorrow a little more clear headed.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Welcome to those who just joined I love that this thread is so busy, let's try to keep it this way.

Every post is helpful in some way to someone, no matter how long or short, good mood or bad mood, just checking in or a rant or a celebration or needing support. I know I stop short of posting too often thinking no one cares or I feel like I keep saying the same things or I don't have time.
It's just me being self conscious and making
Excuses.

The truth is that once I back away from SR for one reason or another, it's usually the beginning of the end. Slowly my mindset changes. I start thinking once again that I'm making too big of a deal out of all this and I can drink from time to time. I buy a bottle of wine. I may not open it for a day or two to "prove" my willpower. Then I decide to open it and it feels like such a relief to stop fighting the battle. But a part of me also feels ridiculous doing this again - after all I've said and written and promised myself . I drink 1/2 bottle one night and feel ok the next day, not great but ok. See? No big deal. But it is. Because the cycle begins.

I'm heading to bed looking forward to a good sober sleep. My favorite reward
Old 09-02-2015, 09:58 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

time2rise,

I really liked the link that you posted earlier. Thanks. Very common sense.

needtostopthis,

we're hear for you. Talk it out on the board. have you been hydrating? That's one of the main causes of headaches.

Night all. I'll say a prayer for you all. Day 1 in the books and I didn't drink! Feeling (physically) a bit sick...
Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Just dropping in from the August 2015 group to wish everyone here the very best. These monthly support threads are a wonderful way to bond with people who have quit at around the same time as you. It's a wonderful journey you will undertake together. We're so glad you have chosen sobriety! Welcome!
Old 09-02-2015, 10:40 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hello-I'd like to join sept sober. I've been on here before, drifted and have been killing myself daily. I need this to stop. I'm going to lose my son, my family, my boyfriend if I don't.
I make it to day 3 and then my av says "you feel fine! You can get a drink. You don't have a problem" and then it's a bottle of vodka every day. My last drink was at noon but I was pretty well drunk until 3 or 4pm. It's the first night in weeks I haven't been drunk. And of course I can't sleep. I have ambien but am afraid to take some since I was drinking earlier today. This is so hard.