Notices

Class of September 2015

Old 09-01-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Dropping by to say hello. I'm solidly August 2015, with August 1 being my first day sober, but want to express my support for September people. These daily support threads were really helpful for me; a way to stay accountable to myself and other people "out in the ether". Our journeys are closely aligned, and I know that we can be successful if we work it!
Old 09-01-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JaneLane View Post
Hi everyone

It's great to be here. I always kind of drift away from SR after a while and often end up relapsing, so I will be changing that this month and sticking close :-)
Yep, i do that as well. I have got to make sure i am posting everyday!
Old 09-01-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yes, I need to post everyday as well. Some of my all or nothing/ Perfectionistic tendencies come out even here on SR when I don't post because I don't have the time to respond to others the way I want to or even share. So I put it off and before I know it, I lose my connection here and my mind starts drifting to drinking again.
I do best when I post. Respond when I can. But read and post, even if it's short. I can't express how much it means to me and helps me to read as I feel so very alone in this. It's my choice, I choose not to go AA or share much with friends and family about this so that means I need to utilize SR and the wonderful people here as my main support.

Today is my day one but I "only" had two glasses of wine with dinner yesterday and nothing else so at least I'm not hungover. That makes it easier but in a way harder because I forget the misery quite easily.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Forabetterlife,

Do you write? I really recommend either typing or writing your thoughts down. I went through a tough time a while ago and even though I think I haven't made any progress, looking back on the Things I wrote back then is a real positive reinforcement!
Old 09-01-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hello September members. I'm part of the August 2015 class, but I wanted to stop in and offer encouragement and support to those of you just starting.

My sobriety is new, but if I can offer one piece of advice it is this: Find some way to realize you are not giving any thing up; that you are not depriving yourself; that alcohol or drugs are not needed to be happy and enjoy life. I've been using Buddhist principles and Jason Vale's book Kick the Drink . . . Easily to help me understand that being sober is so much more desirable and interesting than drinking and drugging. But the number of ways to achieve this understanding are only limited by our imaginations, so don't be afraid to try new ideas, read new recovery information or use any and all the support groups available.

This attitude change regarding intoxication has been working for me, and frankly, my cravings and desires to drink have been minimal. Really, I've not be struggling at all. If I could magically give all of you this frame of mind, I would, but I can't. It is something each of us have to achieve on our own, but I truly hope all of you can find a way to feel exactly how I feel right now because it really is liberating.

Whatever you do, stay strong and come here for help if you're feeling tempted. Someone will be here to help talk you down.

Peace!
Old 09-01-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm from dec 2014 group, my drinking has gotten a lot better but I haven't maintained a full 30 days sober yet, even if I only drank once or twice in a month, I'd like to give total sobriety a shot.
Day 5
Wine binge drinker
Old 09-01-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ok. Here I go again. Day 1. Longest I've been sober was 17 days. I need to remind myself constantly of all of the problems and money it's costing me. I don't drink everyday but when I drink I go wayyyy overboard. Usually make it to day 3 or 4 sober and then just stop out for 1....which never ever has happened.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome everyone

D
Old 09-01-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
orangutan

Hi everyone,
55 year old female here.
I have been around this site for a long time now , the longest I have remained sober is nine months straight , I have had a few 3 or so months and just missed making 5 months this time . I don't think I have another drunk left in me . I have to make it this time.

DAY 2
Old 09-01-2015, 06:42 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JaneLane View Post
Forabetterlife, Do you write? I really recommend either typing or writing your thoughts down. I went through a tough time a while ago and even though I think I haven't made any progress, looking back on the Things I wrote back then is a real positive reinforcement!
I do write/journal Jane. I find it very helpful as well. But, like SR., I find its one of those things I do mostly when I'm feeling good, rather than when I need it most, like when I'm in a craving, or right after drinking. It's like I've become 2 different people lately.., drinking me and sober me. It's exhausting honestly l.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

congratulations to all of you that have joined this September class. You have made your decision to get sober and now you are looking for support, advice and compassion. You will find it here.
SR has 10s of thousands of members. Some new, some old timers. We all have different stories on how we got here, but we are all here. Thats the glue. We all have the disease at some level of progression. We are all in recovery. We all desire to live a long, productive, loving, sober life. Some will succeed, some will fail.
I am almost 22 months sober after being drunk for 45 years. I feel great, but not great enough. l will never forget the years past. My goal is to never go back. So far so good.
I encourage you to develop a plan to deal with what is ahead of you.
How will you deal with the first social situation that usually ended in a headache.
How will you get your body, your mind, your finances, your relationships working properly. How will you deal with the AV when it shows up.
Make a plan and visit it often so you don't forget.
Make changes to your lifestyle. Loose your drinking buddies, Keep your friends close. Share your feelings with those that love you. Tell them what you are going through. Take notes in your diary. Take a walk, Eat a carrot stick, Phone your mother. Do more of the things you enjoy but didn't before because you were busy planning your next drinking time.
The journey ahead of you is a tough one. So is life, even sober. But the reward is worth the effort. Spend time on SR, read, post, make friends, learn, listen to the old timers. Realize you are not alone nor are you unique with this problem.
I wish you all the very best that life has to offer. If you want this bad enough and you stick to your plan, and as one poster said, don't pick up the first one, you will be a better person because you are sober.
Peace.
Rick
Old 09-01-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I am really mad right now. My mom, who is an alcoholic by the way, just said something that mad me so angry. We were texting back and forth and i made some mistakes when i was texting like i always do. My son was driving me crazy so when i was typing i did some typos and she had the balls to ask me if i was drunk? I mean really? I don't even drink as much as she does and i never ever text or call anyone when drunk, so why would i be drunk? She just says things to make me mad. Believe me, she is one nutty women. Toxic to say the least but for some reason, i guess because she is my mom i still have a relationship with her. Now she has no idea i am in AA. If i told her she would be say AA is stupid. You see she has only been to AA when Court appointed. Anyway if you can't tell already i am not doing well tonight. I really felt the pull to drink when i got home from errands today. Plus my husband was in a bad mood, i think he wanted to drink, well actually i know he wanted to because i asked him what the hell was wrong with him and he admitted to wanting to drink. I got mad at him because i felt he was not supporting me in my sobriety. I wish he would do AA with me. He wont. Anyway i am still sober so... yeah life goes on. Blah.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:18 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Rick, well said! Thank you so much for sharing
Old 09-02-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
I am really mad right now. My mom, who is an alcoholic by the way, just said something that mad me so angry. We were texting back and forth and i made some mistakes when i was texting like i always do. My son was driving me crazy so when i was typing i did some typos and she had the balls to ask me if i was drunk? I mean really? I don't even drink as much as she does and i never ever text or call anyone when drunk, so why would i be drunk? She just says things to make me mad. Believe me, she is one nutty women. Toxic to say the least but for some reason, i guess because she is my mom i still have a relationship with her. Now she has no idea i am in AA. If i told her she would be say AA is stupid. You see she has only been to AA when Court appointed. Anyway if you can't tell already i am not doing well tonight. I really felt the pull to drink when i got home from errands today. Plus my husband was in a bad mood, i think he wanted to drink, well actually i know he wanted to because i asked him what the hell was wrong with him and he admitted to wanting to drink. I got mad at him because i felt he was not supporting me in my sobriety. I wish he would do AA with me. He wont. Anyway i am still sober so... yeah life goes on. Blah.
The last time I drank was actually due to a really stressful confrontation with my mum over the phone and the huge thing for me was that I didn't get it out, I let it fester. I hope you feel better for sharing and can maybe call someone from AA to talk about it if you need to?

If she's got her own problems with alcohol it's easy to look outside and take it out on other people so try not to take it personally. You're sober and that's brilliant!
Old 09-02-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Jane need - try not to take it personally - you know you're sober and so do we

you're doing great

D
Old 09-02-2015, 01:04 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
Dear NeedToStopThis

I am living proof that drink can turn an ordinarily, logical, caring and empathetic person into a nutty lunatic with no common sense. But the other thing I have learnt is that you can't take on other people's problems, especially at a time like this when your number one priority should be you.

Stay strong

K8
Old 09-02-2015, 03:13 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Needtostop,,I know it's hard not to let things like that upset you, especially when it's your mother. One thing that has helped me lately when things have been rough is to try to change the way I look and think about things. Sometimes we get stuck in the same thoughts and reactions to people that they become almost automatic, like drinking can. Take a step back, try to look at things in a different light. Stay positive !
Old 09-02-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yesterday was my day one but since I wasn't hungover, I already felt some benefits of not drinking. I got so much accomplished and wasn't miserable the entire day, moaning and groaning about how much I have to do and how hard Everything is. The day before that I was hungover and frazzled all day, couldn't solve problems at work, just get frustrated over them.

It never ceases to amaze me how my brain seems to only operate at about 50% when I drank the day before and even less the more I drank and if I've been drinking every night (or even day too on the weekends) for days or weeks (or months) consecutively.
Oh boy, I've been at this too long, haven't i? Ready to give up all those struggles and patterns and just be done.

Busy day and night today so I think I'll be ok. It's the long weekend coming up that I know will be tough ....
Old 09-02-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I have made it to day 4.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I've tried many times, and feel like the world is on my shoulders about drinking , but I've also tasted a few months freedom from alcohol. I want that. I will not forget that I relapsed and blacked out. I will not forget that I've gone past 6-8 months, caving in on off days from work. I have an AV. It's tricky and I'm weak, if I let go even for a second. I'm on day 3 . I'm off 4 days, for Labor Day. I plan to spend and enjoy it sober.
I want very very much for September to be a dry one for me.
I want to believe the good things people are sharing about successes they've had.
I need it !