Notices

Class of August 2015 Part 3

Old 08-19-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vanaprastha View Post
Hey class. Not a good day here.

One of my cats died tonight. In the past this would have been a good excuse to drink (like I needed excuses) but I have 17 days sober now and I will not give that up for anything. I may not be around for a bit, but I will be back, and I will still be sober.
So sorry Van. I have several kitties myself and deeply involved in rescue from high kill shelters, its so hard to lose one of our family members. Good job in staying sober through a tough time
Old 08-19-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me

So sorry to hear about your cat vanaprastha! That is so sad .
Old 08-19-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Haven't posted for a while. I'm on Day 15 today. Things are going okay, not great. Don't get me wrong, 15 is wonderful and I'm grateful. It's difficult though.

The hardest parts are 1) I don't look forward to anything; 2) Feeling of dullness; Emptiness.

When I was drinking, as much as I hated it, it was what I looked forward to every night. I planned and rearranged my schedule to make sure it happened. It was a priority. Since giving up the nightly bottle(s) I feel like I have nothing to look forward to, I'm bored, I'm slightly depressed, I can't get excited about things.

Anyone else have these issues? How do you cope?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Still working through it John. Really don't have much I am interested in or excited by at the moment. It's way better than the damage drinking was doing to my life though so onwards we go. I know I will find things, better things, to fill that gap. Our brains are just all a bit out of balance from all the abuse and need time to reset.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

I picked up a bottle of whiskey today. Not happy at all about it. A few beers here and there I can deal with, but whiskey is an absolute red flag, no-no type of situation for me.

Stupid, god damn alcoholism. It has such a grasp on me, I'm not sure what to do. Especially, why now? I'm just entering negotiations on two VERY large contracts, and both of these guys are very well connected, so if I do right by them, I honestly believe I have the potential of becoming a multi-millionaire within 12 months. I'd have to start my own shop again and everything, which I've been contemplating, but their connections would make it a whole lot easier to do so.

I don't know...
Old 08-19-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Did you drink any? Have you got rid of it? Are you ready to let go of the odd beer now?

Love you to bit Troy and have been really worried this would happen. Hugs,I know you can do this. If it's not gone get rid of it and stick close here. So glad you posted. I know how much you want to stay sober and I am really rooting for you hun.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

So sorry to hear about your cat, Van. That's always hard.

John -- I know the feeling. I especially get that feeling a lot when I do the things I used to do while drinking. Doing them now just is so dull and I just sit there and obsess about not being able to drink.

One thing I've been really trying to plan other things that are either new, or things that I didn't drink while doing before. For me that is lifting weight again three nights a week. Drinking is definitely incompatible with moving heavy weights around, so its one of the windows of time where I really don't miss it. Then I've been trying to stay busy doing just about anything.

I've also seen a therapist for depression and he's big on the psychology of happiness and doing intentional things every day to work on being happy, so to speak. Stuff like on this link: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...oost-happiness

Some of it seems really cheesy, but I've found it helps if I force myself to do it.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

John- I struggle with that too. I actually forced myself to sit down before I left the house for work this morning and write down some things I could look forward to today. They were small things like catching up on a tv show with my daughter later tonight, planning something fun for dinner, and that my least favorite office person is on vacation all week ... not sure this will completely solve the problem, but anything to do to refocus my thoughts seems worth a try... And I'm sure the longer I'm sober, the better the list will become. Hang in there.

Hope everyone is having a good Wednesday.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

TROY I feel like Ditz...have you drank any of it? Get rid of it. Just because you bought it don't mean it has to be consumed. Sounds like maybe your line of work is triggering you maybe? Just a thought...
Hash it out and get rid of that alcohol! You can be better than that don't give in!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Thanks for the great suggestions. Sorry to hear others are experiencing the same issues, but comforting to know I'm not the only one at the same time. The weather's been dreary and unusually cold in the Midwest this week and that is not helping things at all.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Worrying about Troy now.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me . It's been a hard one . Felt like a zombie all day , body feels heavy , I'm so sleepy and can't concentrate on anything. Didn't buy any alcohol while shopping yay me. Thank goodness hubby is at home , this kind of day is a trigger for me usually.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DitzyDandelion View Post
Worrying about Troy now.
TROY, you okay?
Old 08-19-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
I picked up a bottle of whiskey today. Not happy at all about it. A few beers here and there I can deal with, but whiskey is an absolute red flag, no-no type of situation for me.

Stupid, god damn alcoholism. It has such a grasp on me, I'm not sure what to do. Especially, why now? I'm just entering negotiations on two VERY large contracts, and both of these guys are very well connected, so if I do right by them, I honestly believe I have the potential of becoming a multi-millionaire within 12 months. I'd have to start my own shop again and everything, which I've been contemplating, but their connections would make it a whole lot easier to do so.

I don't know...
A bottle of whiskey or millions of dollars? To me that's no choice - a million pounds would be worth my quitting any day!
I noticed my drinking can get bad when I am doing well in life, almost as if I am self sabotaging becuase I feel I don't deserve it.

Whatever you choose ppl are here for you.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Welcome to the August gang
Old 08-19-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gjess View Post
Day 3 for me . It's been a hard one . Felt like a zombie all day , body feels heavy , I'm so sleepy and can't concentrate on anything. Didn't buy any alcohol while shopping yay me. Thank goodness hubby is at home , this kind of day is a trigger for me usually.
Congratulations on Day 3. Good for you for not buying any alcohol. It still feels a little strange to me (at Day 15) to go to a Trader Joe's or other grocery store and not pick up my usual bottles of alcohol. It's gotten easier though, that's for sure.

Also, the sleepiness, and feeling like a zombie gets better too. In fact, each day has been a little better since day 2-3. As I stated above, I'm still lacking motivation and looking forward to things, but it's much better now than the first week. So hang in there.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Troy. Thinking of you. Really hope you threw it away.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gjess View Post
Congrats on 3 !!!
That's 3 that you've earned and no one, no drink, NOTHING, can take that away from you !!
Old 08-19-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

John I'm same.
Ho-hum , gotta get required where I'm looking forward to something as well.

TROY, throw it OUT, bro ! Take it from a poor person !!
Old 08-19-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Rewired, not required. Stupid iPhone