Notices

Class of August 2015 Part 3

Old 08-19-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

I'll chime in with everyone else Troy in case you are reading -- just dump it out. You can do this.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Crysalis and welcome back Chick

Troy I really hope you can put that bottle down.

I kept drinking, and ridiculously drinking, because as bad as it was it was familiar.

Change terrified me, and effort scared me - what if I can't quit? will I have to change? will I like who I become? will I be happy? will life be unrelenting and humdrum?why do I have to change?

The fact is I wasn't happy drinking, it was getting worse, and I was losing jobs, relationships, and self respect. In the end it damn near killed me.

I took a leap of faith that things would be better without booze - and although the early days and weeks were rough, it worked out

I found a me I'd forgotten about - and that guy was OK....and my life is not all rainbows and unicorns - but I'm happy - even in the rough spots.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Thank you guys it's nice to go to bed being sober . And I apologise if I didn't write any encouragement post to any of you yet , I still don't know how I feel about my own situation and can't find the right words for myself still. Just want you all to know that I read and you all are in my thoughts .
Old 08-19-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gjess View Post
Thank you guys it's nice to go to bed being sober . And I apologise if I didn't write any encouragement post to any of you yet , I still don't know how I feel about my own situation and can't find the right words for myself still. Just want you all to know that I read and you all are in my thoughts .
Jess, even an update is a source of encouragement, at least for me

Personally, I'm petrified. Day 2 for me. I'm trying to be more active on SR in any way possible, and let me tell you posting on here feels like exposing myself to the world.

KP
Old 08-19-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Gjess, I second KP in saying your update is encouragement enough. Good job going to bed sober! Waking up clear headed and without the shame and regret is wonderful!

KP, I hear you about posting feeling like exposing myself. Mostly, I feel like I don't have much to say that's worth reading, so I chime in when I can. I'm trying to be more active because I've gotten so much support here, even just second hand through reading other's posts.

Tonight, my kids will be with their dad. I'll be home alone and working on a paper for a class I'm taking, so I know it'll be a bit of a battle -- feeling lonely, combined with the little lying voice telling me I "deserve" a drink to unwind after my work.

My plan is to work on my paper, do some exercise, treat myself to a hot bath, a little ice cream and then to bed for a good night's sleep (which I NEVER get when I drink!).
Old 08-19-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

This is a good class. We are in this together. Everyone that has been posting is doing a really great job. No drinking tonight. Eat an avocado or icecream or go on a walk or post the color of your socks.. Just don't drink.. We can do it.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Post the color of your socks...that made me laugh, GB. No socks here, it's 100 degrees in sunny California! Definitely having that ice cream though.

Yes, we CAN do this!
Old 08-19-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

3rd day here... went to an AA meeting, work, and prayed. Feeling still a bit paranoid and anxious. I think I really need to quit smoking cigarettes they seem to increase the paranoia and anxiety... I'm always worried others can smell smoke on me. I spend a lot of time trying to cover up any smell... I think it is addictive behavior that I'm keeping alive... which makes me more susceptible to a relapse. I also know my HP doesn't want me to smoke... so if I do I'm not doing my HP's will. I can't get past step 3 unless I do this.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Keeppushing & SEECLEAR - Keep going! I am finishing up Day 10 today and for the first time in 2 years, the anxiety is GONE!
Old 08-19-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

I'm almost finished with Day 4. Well done for everyone who stayed sober another day.

TroyW. I believe it's now Thursday morning where you're located. I hope you dumped the whiskey you bought. And if not, pick yourself up and start again.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

I see new folks or at least to me. Hey! I'm Key! Nice to meet yall! I'm from the south. I impersonated Loretta Lynn for a while so there's how my voice would sound.
No word on TroyW. I'm praying for him.
Hope everyone has a nice night. On to the next day!
Ps I'm off tomorrow so it may be a little quiet on my end tomorrow in SR. I'll catch up in the evening or first thing on Friday. No drinking means getting out and participating in this thing called life!
Old 08-19-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. I haven't posted in a few days but I wanted to say I'm here, still sober, on day 15. I've been reminded that it's really important to keep posting every day, even though I don't really feel like I have anything profound to say or add to the discussion. I do read a lot on here, but I guess I'm just more on the quiet side.

Anyhoo, so glad to read that so many of you are doing so well. I know a lot of us are struggling but we need to give this some time before it gets a lot easier. One thing I've been working through is this desire for my life to be instantly changed now that I'm not drinking. I keep reading posts about how people's lives are dramatically changed after they quit drinking, but most of these changes don't really start until months or sometimes even up to a year after they stop. I'm impatient and I want it now! haha. I feel like I'm in a sobriety limbo in these first few weeks. Yeah, I feel grateful that I've made it this far, but some days it feels like I'm just existing. I have to remind myself that I have to keep going and things will slowly get better and better.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't worry too much bean skillet - the first month or two was about not drinking - but since then it's been regular changes after changes...

not all changes were good at the time, but I look back and see they have all been for the better

D
Old 08-19-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Hello gang, day 10 for me today. Good to be in double digits!

DD and I tried something new today. We went to a meditation session at a Buddhist temple. I started meditating a couple of months ago but this was a totally different experience. Will definitely do it again.
Overall feeling well and my friend at the gym this morning commented that I was looking different, better. She said to keep on doing what I'm doing because it's working
The only issue I experienced the last couple of days is a really pronounced afternoon slump. I'm feeling great in the mornings but by 3 pm I feel wiped out. Like I can't even lift my arms. Or I can fall asleep at my desk. Anyone else with that experience? Any suggestions on how to deal with it?
Old 08-19-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GBluewater View Post
This is a good class. We are in this together. Everyone that has been posting is doing a really great job. No drinking tonight. Eat an avocado or icecream or go on a walk or post the color of your socks.. Just don't drink.. We can do it.
I would not recommend trying to make polenta for the first time, it was a gloppy mess. Should have done the avocado or ice cream. NO AV today, whew!
Old 08-19-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SEECLEAR View Post
3rd day here... went to an AA meeting, work, and prayed. Feeling still a bit paranoid and anxious. I think I really need to quit smoking cigarettes they seem to increase the paranoia and anxiety... I'm always worried others can smell smoke on me. I spend a lot of time trying to cover up any smell... I think it is addictive behavior that I'm keeping alive... which makes me more susceptible to a relapse. I also know my HP doesn't want me to smoke... so if I do I'm not doing my HP's will. I can't get past step 3 unless I do this.
Hi Seeclear
I've been the same thoughts about quitting my chewing habit....
Two reasons. First, it's unhealthy....
More importantly for us is that it, as you imply, is another secret to maintain. I'm tired of maintaining secrets.
I tossed my last can today and am bracing myself.
Good luck!
Jonathan
Old 08-19-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Just checking in to say goodnight. Day 1 is over, thank goodness.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Good job on day 1 ChickChick!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Administrator

Way to go Chick

D
Old 08-19-2015, 09:57 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Sleep tight chick!