Notices

Class of August 2015

Old 08-03-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Day 3 almost over.

Drinking a cup of coffee now, then I'll binge watch some of True Detective Season 2 (not as good as Season 1 IMO), take a shower and finally into to bed.

I hope everyone is doing well with their sober journey.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I'm checking in here on day two because I need you all to keep me strong. Every Monday night we go out with friends for a social event. It's at the local pub. I know my husband will drink beer tonight, even though he was kind yesterday and didn't drink. I am not going to give in and order wine because I don't drink anymore. I'll get through this but I need you all to hear me say it to keep me accountable. I'll check in when we get home.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

As for right now, it's day 2, I am irritable and stressy but I'm trying to smile my way through it as best I can. This time of day, right after work, is usually when I start drinking so I'm very much out of my comfort zone right now. I will not drink and if I feel at all like caving I will leave and let our friends bring the hubs home later.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Retread, Stay strong out there. Do you have to go at all?
Old 08-03-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

I don't have to go, but people will be disappointed if I don't. The thing is, the last time I stayed sober for any length of time, I hid in my bedroom for a year. I have to be able to do this and still live my life or it won't seem worth doing, so I'm going to face these challenges head-on instead of running away from them. If I relapse, I'll do it differently, but relapse is not an option. I'll be okay.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I understand. I don't socialize with adults when I'm not drinking...only kids because then there's no temptation. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Free your mind

Doing better than I have been in the last few weeks. Reading a lot of recovery material and getting to NA meetings when I can. I'm still bad about picking up the phone because I have a bit of a phone phobia. I'm really enjoying NA, though. So much of what people discuss in the rooms really resonates with me. No one understands an addict like a fellow addict.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DariaM View Post
Yeah, I've come to realize that I'm pretty good up until about day 5. By day 5 I'm recovered from my hangover, and since I don't binge drink every day it seems to take a few days before the desire to drink returns. It seems every time I've caved lately has been between days 5-7.
I'm the same way I'm at day 5 now and I'm getting antsy.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

I didnt read anything in this forum after my post last night. Resolved myself to the belief that I will just always be a drunk by the time I got off work this am and bought 2 big beers on my way home. I knew that the boyfriend would stop at home before he was off to work, so I kept them concealed in my bag and lay in bed until he got there and kissed me goodbye. I dozed off for about 15 minutes, then woke up, remembered I had some drinking to do, opened the first took a sip staring myself in the mirror and poured the rest down the drain.

Thank you for the reply Dee, did not read it until now. You are 100% correct. All that effort to get the buzz could be better spent on recovery.

I am (barely) still on track.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Free your mind

You still have part of you on that track, bblackbird. That's all that matters. That part of you wants recovery. That part won today when you poured the rest of the booze down the drain - sip or no sip. Hang in there.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
OX

Good work bblackfly. Pour it out
Hope the pub went ok retread

New day for me. August 1 was new day one. Ugh. Better than continuing to dig. Fell for the moderation game. Was doing pretty well keeping track but my perameters were getting looser and looser. So here we are

Day three. Headaches. Tired. Feeling I'll my wife was wasted yesterday and feels better than sober me today. But that will certainly change.

Hello class, let's do this!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
I didnt read anything in this forum after my post last night. Resolved myself to the belief that I will just always be a drunk by the time I got off work this am and bought 2 big beers on my way home. I knew that the boyfriend would stop at home before he was off to work, so I kept them concealed in my bag and lay in bed until he got there and kissed me goodbye. I dozed off for about 15 minutes, then woke up, remembered I had some drinking to do, opened the first took a sip staring myself in the mirror and poured the rest down the drain.

Thank you for the reply Dee, did not read it until now. You are 100% correct. All that effort to get the buzz could be better spent on recovery.

I am (barely) still on track.
i was stopping by the convenience store every day after work to pick up a can of 8% alcohol Mikes Hard Lemonade, drink and toss the empty can at the 7/11 down the street before i got home.... then make an excuse to go out later and buy another, same routine. when i decided to quit 13 days ago, i realized behavior patterns had to change to overcome habit so i now drive a different way home, no convenience store to temp me and it is working.. without the 1st drink, no desire to go out and get the 2nd, 3rd etc. tomorrow is 14 days, so far so good...
Try finding a different route so there is no opportunity to buy that beer "on the way home" Good Luck!!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Retread1959 View Post
I don't have to go, but people will be disappointed if I don't. The thing is, the last time I stayed sober for any length of time, I hid in my bedroom for a year. I have to be able to do this and still live my life or it won't seem worth doing, so I'm going to face these challenges head-on instead of running away from them. If I relapse, I'll do it differently, but relapse is not an option. I'll be okay.
You don't need to hide in your bedroom for a year

I found a ton of things to do sober, and sober friends to do them with too.

I needed to put clear distance between my old life and my new one.

I look back now at the few months I spent not being around alcohol and it seems so small an amount of time now - but those early decisions are still paying dividends

Even when I didn't crack and drink again, going to drinking places with drinkers just really made me miserable Retread.

D
Old 08-03-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Blackbird , good deal !! That was a hard thing but you did it !
Retread, I have to get home from work , run through chores and take a sleeping pill for the first week, to stay sober. It's like I can't live, or I feel like I can't do anything going through withdrawals or something. Powerfully out of wack emotionally and mentally. I drank over the weekend I think because I was contemplating smoking marijuana. ThAts been at least 20-25 yrs past. Anxiety is always way high when I don't drink. It does come and go. Maybe it lessens after a period of time. I stayed sober once for about 100-120 days. Been trying to stop for about 1-2 yrs.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. I made it! Had fun, drank water, didn't really crave that much. Of course I had urges to order my usual when I got there, but I just told everyone right away that I am on the wagon and that was that. Still feeling a bit tense and out of sorts, but I feel good that I was able to meet this challenge head-on and keep my resolve. Day 2 almost complete, so let's see what day 3 brings.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

So happy to read that Retread...you've given me hope.

Day 1 for me. Not hard to stay away from it today because I was pretty hungover from Sunday night. I was white-knuckling it through work today, fighting through the anxiety, sick feeling and self loathing, and still trying to be productive. Ugh. I know come day 4 I'll be needing to lean heavily on SR to keep from picking up a bottle of wine, but I know I can do it if I concentrate on the good things I get from not drinking....a decent night's sleep being one. Time to hit the hay! Good night everyone. Thank you for your welcomes and kind words today.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lynbee View Post
So happy to read that Retread...you've given me hope.

Day 1 for me. Not hard to stay away from it today because I was pretty hungover from Sunday night. I was white-knuckling it through work today, fighting through the anxiety, sick feeling and self loathing, and still trying to be productive. Ugh. I know come day 4 I'll be needing to lean heavily on SR to keep from picking up a bottle of wine, but I know I can do it if I concentrate on the good things I get from not drinking....a decent night's sleep being one. Time to hit the hay! Good night everyone. Thank you for your welcomes and kind words today.
So glad you are doing this. We're in this together and thank goodness we have this site and the others here to walk along this path with us. Good night and pleasant dreams!
Old 08-03-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a good tuesdays everyone

Congrats to anyone reaching a personal milestone

welcome all newcomers hello to our guests
Old 08-03-2015, 11:36 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Hi all, it's great to see you here and so many positive posts.

Day 10 today. Ive hoped over from the July thread to say hello.
I would also like to join in here with the August class as well as July as an extra foot up the sober ladder.
Have a great sober day everyone.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:06 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Morning all. I am new to sobriety and I'm on day two. Currently doing a home detox with a nurse visiting daily and giving me
Daily medication. Yes dater went better than I expected but the thought of having a drink is still on my mind a lot ! ☺️ Hopping this forum can keep me on track and looking forward to getting to know you guys and reading your posts.