Notices

Class of August 2015

Old 08-03-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Yeah, I've come to realize that I'm pretty good up until about day 5. By day 5 I'm recovered from my hangover, and since I don't binge drink every day it seems to take a few days before the desire to drink returns. It seems every time I've caved lately has been between days 5-7.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
Hi everyone, I'm part of the lovely November 2014 class but after managing five months of sobriety I' with tve relapsed a few times so back on day 3 now and hoping to also join in with the August 2015 class. Am still in the middle of a horrible withdrawal which I'm determind to make my last as don't think my poor body can take much more of repeatedly going through this!
Work on a sobriety plan everyone and put it first!
Peace X
Hello Peace - and fellow Scot I think? - I too have lurked my way over here from November 2014, having managed over 200 days and then 'experimented' with letting myself try some wine again. Result was a surprise to no-one. Still struggling to get to the point of committing myself again. Not sure if this is made harder by the fact that, when I did this before, for the first time, last November, I really meant it to be forever and, for seven months, it was (??). Anyway, I've adopted myself into August 2015 and hope to be able to report my Day 1 soon. It might be the SR thing; it might be the having done it before (with 13 bottles of nice wine in the house which I didn't drink) thing, but, despite my current commitment dodging, I absolutely believe I'll be getting back on to the 'forever' wagon soon. Yes, ok, heard it, but 's true. Hello to all August 2015ers.

Pix
Old 08-03-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peacehappyness View Post
Hi everyone, I'm part of the lovely November 2014 class but after managing five months of sobriety I' with tve relapsed a few times so back on day 3 now and hoping to also join in with the August 2015 class. Am still in the middle of a horrible withdrawal which I'm determind to make my last as don't think my poor body can take much more of repeatedly going through this!
Work on a sobriety plan everyone and put it first!
Peace X
Welcome back, Peace! I am glad to see that you keep getting back on here and trying! I hope you feel better. We can do this!
Old 08-03-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onmyjourney View Post
Hi everyone ?de0a
I do hope everyone is feeling ok.
I wondered if it's normal for drinking heavy ever day for the last 2 years it's been 48 hours and I have had no withdrawals ? Is this normal ?
I'm new here and so happy to know we can all be here for each other.
Have a lovely evening x
I guess everyone is different.. I think age may have something to do with it? And how many detoxs before? Please still be careful, I personally find day 3 (today) pretty tough, thats when alcohol has finally left your system...and your body can freak. Welcome here, we are good support here!
Old 08-03-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AllieKat View Post
FF I definitely feel awkward without it. It's just habit. It's what we do. I need to get past that somehow. Sunday pool party just isn't the same with a bottle of water. Ugh!
Hi Allie and others. Alcohol has been my social lubricant as well. I have really bad panic and anxiety. I think it will take a while but we will feel ok without it. It's nice not to have to worry about not remembering things done and said. Time will heal I believe.

I am having a bit of a low day emotionally. Will not drink though!

Lilly
Old 08-03-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Roger D
I'm same way.
Day 1 -
I want to be mad, I want to be sad, whatever. I just don't care.
I've asked forgiveness, and for God to change me, so here I go !
Old 08-03-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I put a sober date on here one time. It was the most demoralizing thing I've done in yrs to remove it.
Ready for some hope, and you ppl give it to me. I know I'm not alone, and I'm thankful for it
Old 08-03-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I feel a lot less alone too now. Struggling with this week after week really takes its toll. I know I can do this if I really set my mind to do it. I am having trouble committing to myself. I say I am making that commitment and then I don't follow through and I don't know why I can't stick with it.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Had a good birthday weekend for my 2 yr old, no alcohol events, just drank and now feeling guilty, and as usual, if I drink 2-3 days, cravings terrible for a while after that. I want to change it. Any drama, or problems in my life, any triggers will still be there wether I acknowledge them or not. Excercise is being a big help, so I'm gonna keep on with it.
Long hot week upcoming at work. Thankful for a job to gripe at.
Sorry for rambling . Just a drunk trying to stay sober.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Allie, I'll help you anyway I can
Old 08-03-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Hi all.
Slow learner here. I made it all the way through a trip to see family sober and then congratulated myself with a few beers in an anonomous airport bar.
I allowed the two week mark to throw me off track in June and the July.
I'm disappointed in myself but I learned some things as well. The fact that I kept it to a few rather than a binge is cold comfort. I want to keep it to zero and know I have it in me to do so.
I must stay vigilant. Vigilance against my AV is my main plan. Continuing with you amazing folks and beginning my second month of AA will provide the support and community that helps me succeed.
I look forward to getting to know you.
Jonathan

Last edited by Zufrieden; 08-03-2015 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Auto correct error
Old 08-03-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to all the newcomers.

I mention a plan a lot - plans are really crucial

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

Basically a recovery plan is a plan to help you stop drinking/drugging and stay stopped.

Things like exercise and hobbies should be a part of just about every recovery plan - but I really believe we also need to specifically address the drinking/drugging too.

Think about changes you need to make to your life.

Not only changes what you do for fun, the places you hang out and who you hang with, but also deeper change.

No matter what you drink or used for - stress or boredom, anger, joy, physical or emotional pain - you need new coping mechanisms to deal with all those things.

you also need to anticipate those times when you will want to drink or use, or when drink/drugs will be offered to you.

Have a strategy in place for dealing with those situations.

Ask for help here if you're not sure what to do or how to do it

All this can be difficult - which is why support is so important.

It might be a Dr or a counsellor, or a group like AA SMART LifeRing or some other alternative...it might be outpatient or inpatient rehab - it might just be SR and other forums/chat rooms...

Find a level of support than works for you, and that you are willing to reach out when you're in trouble.

cover these bases, and you'll have the beginnings of a great plan.

This is an easy to read but detailed link which fills out the ideas a little more:
https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

D
Old 08-03-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a great link on cravings tips too:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

I was an round the clock everyday drinker once.
There really is hope - for anyone and everyone

D
Old 08-03-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee,
Reading your description of a plan illuminates the lack of effort that went into mine these past two months. "fail to plan, plan to fail" .....
I'll get to work on a more comprehensive one.
We all appreciate your support.
Jonathan
Old 08-03-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Yea Dee, thanks for posting that, cravings are starting to kick in. I think I'm going to make an effort to post about it whenever they come up. I haven't done that in the past.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AllieKat View Post
I feel a lot less alone too now. Struggling with this week after week really takes its toll. I know I can do this if I really set my mind to do it. I am having trouble committing to myself. I say I am making that commitment and then I don't follow through and I don't know why I can't stick with it.
None of us are alone in this, thank goodness.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JL2014 View Post
Allie, I'll help you anyway I can
Thanks! Same here.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Day 1 just about in the books here. Day 2, tomorrow. Don't drink everyone
Old 08-03-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Hi all,
I'm happy to read all of your posts this evening.
Welcome zufireden! JL...IM here from July also. Let's try again together.
Allie, sorry you are feeling down. Tomorrow is a new day.
Finishing up day 3. I'm not feeling great myself. My husband is having significant problems with his business which is having a huge affect on us financially. I don't know what will happen but I DO know if I drink it will only add to the problems.
The day is almost over and I will keep myself busy.
Sober evening to all xo
Old 08-03-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Thanks love hoops. Tomorrow is a new day for sure. :-)